Thingfishy's "Maiden Acoustic" project returns - now on YouTube :)

Thingfish

Trooper
If anyone is interested, I've finally got round to putting all 114 acoustic Maiden cover tracks I've recorded up on YouTube rather than keeping them tucked away on my old webpage. You can find all the tracks at:

http://www.youtube.com/thingfishy

Some of you may remember but, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll recall some history :) I started this 'Maiden Acoustic' project back in 2006, mainly for my own amusement and also a desire to hear the songs in this form, recording my own acoustic versions of Maiden's back catalogue with me playing all the guitars, acoustic bass, mandolin and (occasionally) drums (on my knees :)), as well as doing the singing to the best of my ability ;) I began recording on a rubbish old microphone (hence why some of the songs are in lower quality) and then moved up to a USB mic which was a lot better, especially when I'd also got better at some rudimentary mixing techniques :) They're not in any particular order (just the order I uploaded them in), so you'll find the sound quality varies throughout, but hopefully the playing is consistently good (if not the singing! :)) It may be best to listen on headphones to get the full effect.

Over the following few years I added more and more tracks until various factors forced me to take a long hiatus from the recording pace I'd been managing. I'm getting some more time on my hands now, so may get back to doing some more of the covers I've yet to do, but any encouragement to do so in the form of comments or ratings on the YouTube channel is very much appreciated! Who knows, I might even do some actual videos rather than just the audio over still pictures! :)

The original webpage for these tracks was http://www.freewebs.com/thingfishy, from where you can download the tracks as mp3s linked from http://www.notb.org/thingfish.

For the record, my faves I've done are probably Aces High, Mother Russia (complete with hammer and sickle sound effects! :)), Stranger In A Stranger Land, Children Of The Damned, Total Eclipse, Blood On The World's Hands, Black Bart Blues, Reach Out and Paschendale, but I love them all!

Hope you enjoy them, too :)

TF.

:edmetal:

Very good! You have amazing skill. I love your Sign of the Cross and Montsegur renditions. Do you have any tablature for those songs that you can send me? Or did you learn by ear?

Many thanks, guys! Please do have a listen through as many as you can and feel free to rate or comment them if you like. I didn't record them in any particular order either, so some are from when I started and some later on in better quality (like Aces High, Stranger etc), so there are gems mixed in with the lesser quality ones :) And, of course, a number of b-sides including me doing my impression of Brucie's nerd character in Black Bart Blues which was fun :)

Maidenvana: Thankyou! I'm sorry, but I don't have any tablature for these, I learned them all by ear and arranged them in my head!

Welcome back thingfish! I went through a lengthy phase once of listening to your versions instead of the originals. My faves were Sea of Madness, Wrathchild, The Longest Day and Rime. Looking forward to some Final Frontier songs and Benjamin Breeg.

Thankyou all for the kind welcome back :) Much appreciated! Let me know in comments on the videos what you like about them :)

Mid-Distance Runner: very glad you liked them. Benjamin Breeg is up there on the YouTube site for your listening pleasure already. I'll hopefully get onto some Final Frontier stuff soon :)

I did about half of 'Public Enema Number One' but didn't get further than that. I hoping to have some better recording equipment soon and should be able to speed up the output again :)

I did about half of 'Public Enema Number One' but didn't get further than that. I hoping to have some better recording equipment soon and should be able to speed up the output again :)

Aha! One of the better songs from that album. Looking forward to it (and any other new recording of course)!

These are absolutely great, a huge amount of work must have gone into recording so much of Maiden's back catalogue, Rime in particular is excellent in my opinion!

Back