The Yearly Metal Project (With a Twist - See inside): 1982

I'd like to add, in order of release:

Samson - Shock Tactics
Saga - Worlds Apart (this is Nicko McBrain's all-time favourite album, from any band)
Kiss - (Music from) The Elder
Picture - Heavy Metal Ears*

*@Dityn DJ James (and others of course!) I think you might like the music by these Dutch heavy metallers:

Last edited:
I really like the idea behind this thread. Picking one year and then going in depth is very appealing :) I'm currently doing it for the year 1971 - except I'm doing it for pretty much all genres that interests me - Blues, Hard Rock, Heavy Psych, Krautrock, Jazz-rock, Soft Rock, Soul, Country Rock, Folk and what have you. It's a great way to see the spectrum of music released in one year and get a better feel for that particular year :)

Don't forget that for jazz/fusion rock you should start in 1969 @SixesAlltheway . :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency!_(album)
Lifetime-Emergency.jpg

Too late, I've already settled on 1971 :p I haven't looked into any Jazz-rock/fusion albums from 1971 year yet (except some Krautrock albums that have jazzy touches) but I'm sure there's some good ones as well!

Once I feel like I've exhausted all my options for good 1971 albums in all the different genres I will pick a new year - but I think exhausting 1971 will take a while since I feel it's a very strong year for music overall :)

My point was (of course) that you would get a correct chronological/historical sense of the genre. The album in question is a good (additional) starting point because it
was one of the first significant jazz fusion recordings.[1] The album has commonly been regarded as a pioneering, influential, and original album in the jazz, rock, and fusion genres.[2]

Ah yeah that makes sense @Forostar :) Right now the plan is to just pick a year that interests me and play pretend that I'm getting an idea of how it was listening to music/picking up albums in 1971. Next time I might jump ahead a few years and say pick 1975 or go back and pick 1969. Don't know yet! :)

The toughest part so far in all of this is not getting ahead of oneself actually :D For example when it comes to bands that have a rich and awesome discography - it can be challenging to limit yourself to only listening to the album they released in 1971 when you know they put out other masterpieces after that :D:D

Last edited:
No No. I pick one year (1971) and then listen to only albums that were released that year but from a wide variety of genres - all the genres I like of course :) Then when I feel like I've exhausted all 1971 has to offer (will this be never? :p) I pick a new year :cool:

After beginning this I found out that a lot of really good bands put out their first albums this year which means I've been listening a lot to the debut albums by for example...

ZZ Top
The Doobie Brothers
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Budgie

Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry. Although I despised what they became on their next record, this one was a favourite at the time.
Michael Schenker Group - MSG(2nd album). Axeman's a classic track.
Krokus - Hardware. Not as good as Metal Rendezvous, but not 'arf bad.
Budgie - Nightflight. Not amongst the classics, sure, but groovy all the same. I saw them on this tour.

Ohhh, I haven't heard of those Michael Schenker Group and Budgie albums before. I'll check those out soon. Cheers

Girlschool - Hit and Run. How could I forget this gem. One of the very few records from back then that'll still give me a kick. I saw this lot on this tour too and it was magic. "I still love Kelly."

The year 1981 was a great year for rock and metal. We had Ozzy's Diary of a Madman, Black Sabbath's Mob Rules, Iron Maiden's Killer's album, Van Halen's Fair Warning and Rainbow released the Difficult to Cure album. Other awesome albums released in 1981 were Ghost In The Machine by The Police and Genesis released Abacab. People can say what they want about Abacab but I think its a great album. As I said in another post, its 2:00 in the morning here in China and I'm about ready to fall asleep so I will only focus on 1981 tonight.

Back