The very first Iron Maiden show

fekso

Ancient Mariner
I have always been interested in first shows by big bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and of course Iron Maiden. In the case of Iron Maiden i managed to get a very detailed story for a rock magazine I worked for a few years ago. In 1976 Maiden played their first show at St Nicks in Poplar, London. As I understand it, the date was May 1st 1976, although I've heard a bunch of different dates. I meet Terry Rance and Dave Sullivan in London 2013. I'm sure they spiced it up with the 'occurrences', but a great story nonetheless! Please keep in mind this story was told over a few beers at Millers Bar close to Kings Cross (If you go notice the 1976 era Iron Maiden pictures right behind the bar). I tried to be careful pushing them in regard to dates and songs played. I suspect they played a few more originals at the first show, but Terry didn't want to say to much.

Dave Lights had met Steve Harris briefly when he played a Battle Of The Bands competition with Gypsy's Kiss at St Nicks sometime in 1974/1975. Lorraine, Steve's then girlfriend (and later, wife) knew Dave Lights trough a friend namned Kim that was married to Dave. Steve liked the space so Lorraine asked Dave if Steve's new band could 'come round and rehearse with his new band at the vicarage'.

Dave Sullivan went on to describe the 'rehearsal room' inside: "It was a very sureal place for a band like ours to rehearse at. There were huge paintings all around. I remember one painting, it was from the original Lord of the Rings book. There were lots of strange things happening around us."

Terry filled in: "One night we had a friend over, Jeff Daniels, who became a roadie. He went to the toilet and saw a woman up on a loft where the entrance to the toilet was. She didn't seem to notice him, she just starred into the toilets. He moved towards the stairs and she disappeared, right trough the toilet door! We asked the nuns, Jeff described the woman, but they had no idea who she was. We were the only band rehearsing there, and besides us only the nuns had access."

It was decided that the first show would be held at the vicarage, at the start of the summer. The reason was that all band members needed to be 18 years old before they could play pubs. The youngest in the band would turn 18 during the summer.

And on May 1st 1976 Steve Harris, Terry Rance, Dave Sullivan, Ron Matthews and Paul Day were ready for their first show. It was attended by friends, relatives and nuns, by Terry's account it was attended by approximately 20 people. It was a outside concert in a garden area belonging to the vicarage. It was sunny and the band stod on grass with the audience spread out in the sitting in the grass. The band played (By Terry's account) Iron Maiden, Transylvania, Purgatory, Wrathchild och Strange World together with covers of Thin Lizzy and Wishbone Ash. Terry: "The biggest scandal in the history of Iron Maiden must be the fact that half the audience at the first show were nuns!"

images_Iron_Maidens_historia_stnicksipoplar.jpg-1024x685.jpg

Last edited:
Back