The Unbeliever

How good is The Unbeliever on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
My God! What an amazing album closer! Instrumentally, it's sweet with all the variety and Blaze's vocals just shine on this one. 9/10

Odd. I thought I commented already, but seems like I only voted but forget to comment. 9/10, great closer.

I don't like the solo section. However, chorus is amazing and Blaze sounds fantastic. I can't give it more than 7/10, maybe next year :)

An okay closer, not one of their better ones though.  A 6.

By this point in the album, I generally suffer from Blaze Monotonay Syndrome or BMS.  Perhaps if it was track 3, it would get a higher score.

7- Kind of an odd song.  I love the mid section.  The verses are OK.  Blaze sounds flat on this to me.  Not a bad song but not really one of their better closers either.

Let my faith slip awaaaaaaaaaaay! Blaze puts so much emotion in this lyric. 9. One of my favorite instrumental sections from maiden. A great ending to an amazing album!

10/10 Great song, the chorus is amazing, same with the middle section. Comes second on the album to Sign of the Cross.

I like this song, but it's kind of inconsistent. The second, upbeat chorus is amazing. Blaze is really pushing himself and it pays off. Dave's solo is pure emotion, as is the weird time signature lead riff before it.

This song took the longest to grow on me. When I first heard it I was just left weirded out with the haphazard-sounding time changes and the really abrupt change in mood from "2 A.M" and just the rest of the album in general. Blaze's vocals during the verse sound like he's singing through a whirring fan and to be honest I still don't like the effect there. But the chorus really takes my breath away and the song really shines during the bridge. Solos are f'ing incredible, gotta love Steve's bouncy bassline, and there's just so much energy in Nicko's drums it gives off the vibe of some impending event. Lyrics are top notch as usual.

My only issues with it, besides Blaze during the verse, is the production. The solos are awesome, but the lifeless production makes them sound flimsy and it would have added 10x more power to this song. Unlike most Blaze songs, I think this would have sounded a helluva lot better with Bruce: can you just imagine how spine-tingling it would be hearing Bruce's soaring vocals during the chorus?

Exciting track and many cool part but they doesn't work together. The verses don't match the pre-chorus. Several riffs just pop-up without any reason and at this point I've started to tire on Blazes vocals and the albums production and sound.

With that said, there are several bright spots on this song. The chorus is powerful! The solo section is good. The strange riff in the beginning and end is great!

6/10

Well, there are differences imo. Here my view if interested:
An underrated song on the forum, I believe.

This song has one of the best instrumental parts since Rime. I guess I’d even put it in a top3 of post-Rime instrumental sections, together with SSOASS.

The intro is really good, Blaze’s singing might start a bit awkward, but he delivers the goods very well in the part where Janick plays acoustic (right channel). I love the pre-chorus guitar riff which is a strong melody as well.

In the chorus we get this awesome melody (middle audio channel) and I really dig Blaze here as well. And then that stunning magical instrumental enters…

From the first dying echo of that quick guitar touch we go into some tribal groove (unique in the catalogue). The melodies and solos are very moving. Almost struggling, screams of survival. Note also the ethereal sound of Jan’s rhythm guitar, appearing some measures after Dave’s melody.
He sounds like a knight coming through the myst, in slow motion.

Then he starts soloing (tremendous amount of emotion) and Dave does his gentle accompaniment, followed by his superb lightning solo. Back to melody with the class rhythm guitar.

It’s really cool that both guitars play not only their own solos, but also have an individual approach of the rhythm guitars.

Nice reading and it certainly gives a new perspective on the song and the section! And of course there are differences! I believe my favorite solo section, outside of Seventh Son that you mentioned, is Sign Of the Cross. I think it's perfectly performed, and if you are interested I reviewed it earlier today in the Sign Of The Cross - thread. :)

It is not a bad song.But it still has a dancing vibe I really hate.

Sorry to differ from most people here, but I think this is the only bad song on the album. It's not terrible, by any means, but I often feel inclined to end The X Factor when this song starts. I find it difficult to get into both the verses and the choruses, and some of the transitions seem a bit awkward.
4/10

Back