The Unbeliever

How good is The Unbeliever on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Unbeliever' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Unbeliever'

The lyrics to this song really speaks to me, it makes me think about my life and how to make it better.

'the Unbeliever'

Well, this song doesn't really speak to me. Perhaps that's because I am quite satisfied with myself overall and don't want to be someone else. Musicwise it's a decent song, but I think some others on the album are better.

Daily Song: The Unbeliever

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Unbeliever

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song has gone down and up for me. I think it's a good closer, a different sound than the rest of the X Factor, but I think that's good. It's like the darkness has abated, somewhat. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Unbeliever

A difficult song, but I have really come to appreciate it. The verses take some getting used to, but the chorus is just blinding, both the "slow" and "fast" versions. The instrumentals are different and exciting. The song is definitely a tour de force, but at the end, I can't help but admire it and the note it ends the album on. A near-perfect close to the best album ever. 9/10.

I've liked this song since first hearing it. The intro is a bit odd but the structures of the verse is great and the chorus is awesome. I think it is the most unique and interesting track on the album and certainly one of the best. 9/10

9. What lyrical sharpness against the self! Steve got balls to point the finger on himself and tells the world about it. Musically, it's manic, it's loose but never without focus, it's schizoid in the way his judge side accuses him thoughout the verses and on the bridge and chorus he ponders, repents about things he did and say and on the chorus he cries desperately for a release and a relief; the almost 'rap' of the verses in an odd tempo (8/8, then 9/8) has an incredible menacing groove with those octaved chords, then comes the dancing bassline on the bridge which is brilliant. The instrumental part is so mesmerizing that it could've gone longer that I wouldn't complain, love the guitar tones, too. Blaze sings pretty well on the chorus, but his voice is weird for the verses. Anyway, an amazing ending for this masterpiece. :edmetal:

Lyrically it’s brother to Look For The Truth, but musically I always associate it with Blood on The World Hands — cool intro, creative writing, but the melodies — verse and chorus — borderline annoy me. The instrumental section is phenomenal. Too bad it’s hidden inside the rest of the track. But it elevates the song from a four to a bare six.

Least favorite song on the album.  I like the "fast" version of the chorus, and it has a decent middle section, but pretty poor and forgettable throughout. 4.

I'm not really a big fan of this song - especially not the way the verses are played and sung. Also, the transfer between verses, bridges, chorus - with a complete stop and repeating that riff which first is heard at 2:02. Also, it sounds like Blaze misses the highest note in the chorus about half the times.

What I do like, is the mid part of the song, starting at 3:12 and ending at 5:40. Unlike the instrumental part of the previous song, this one stands out from the songs before it and feels like a breath of fresh air. Still, I don't feel like giving this song more than another strong 7.

An underrated song on the forum, I believe.

This song has one of the best instrumental parts since Rime. I guess I’d even put it in a top3 of post-Rime instrumental sections, together with SSOASS.

The intro is really good, Blaze’s singing might start a bit awkward, but he delivers the goods very well in the part where Janick plays acoustic (right channel). I love the pre-chorus guitar riff which is a strong melody as well.

In the chorus we get this awesome melody (middle audio channel) and I really dig Blaze here as well. And then that stunning magical instrumental enters…

From the first dying echo of that quick guitar touch we go into some tribal groove (unique in the catalogue). The melodies and solos are very moving. Almost struggling, screams of survival. Note also the ethereal sound of Jan’s rhythm guitar, appearing some measures after Dave’s melody.
He sounds like a knight coming through the myst, in slow motion.

Then he starts soloing (tremendous amount of emotion) and Dave does his gentle accompaniment, followed by his superb lightning solo. Back to melody with the class rhythm guitar.

It’s really cool that both guitars play not only their own solos, but also have an individual approach of the rhythm guitars.

I'm not entirely sure if I think this is a good album closure or not, to me it seems a little bit out of place at the end of this album. That said, it is a very good song and certainly worth a 7 or 8. Hmmm, - 7 it is.

It took me a hell of along time to get into The X Factor and in truth, I only really started to listen to it again and appreciate what it is after listening to some of Blaze's solo stuff.

It took quite a while for this song to grow on me (even by TXF standards), but it's a decent ending to the album. The instrumental section especially is different and interesting. 6/10

Whenever I give TXF a listen this is a song I wait for in anticipation - a good sign for a closer. The band delivers here - great chorus and I lose count of how many different riffs are contained within. 7.

This quote of Foro's in regards to Janick's rhythm guitar deserves a 10 for it is incredibly cool..."He sounds like a knight coming through the myst, in slow motion." Yeah!

metalminos.smilie.knight.gif

6 out of 10... The solos aren't spectacular, but sound kinda classic to me.... nothing else in this tune really turns my crank.

Sounds similar to Look for the Truth, but I like the lyrics and as Prowler_108 and mckindog implied, the intro and middle section are way above average.

I'm giving it an eight, and it's the first 8 for this particular track.

X Factor took a decade to grow on me. This song was perhaps the hardest to grasp. The self-criticism of Steve is amazing, the mid section is brilliant and it sounds like it came straight out of the jungle. Regarding verses and choruses, i like the odd timings and unusual style, however some parts drag a bit. All in all, a great track.

Back