The things that got you into Metal

ZadrraS

Trooper
How did you start listening to metal? Why don't you listen to all the rap and pop's music almost everyone is listening to? What was the first band youve heard?

My story:
When i was about 9 my sister started to listen to some weird music ( [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). I kindof "borrowed" one of her cassetes (didn't have computers or cds, just a cassete player). Tough i didn't know what the band was back then, it was Blind Guardian and i liked it ALOT. Then after about 3 years of listening to THE SAME cassete i took the BG Imaginations From The Other Side album. About then my sister got a boyfriend (and he was a real metal) he talked my to try to listen to other bands. Then I borrowed few Manowar albums, i liked it ALOT. Few months after that I took an Iron Maiden album Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son (guess how did i like that [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). I was about 13 then. I got the whole Manowar and Iron Maiden discography. When i was 14 i started to grow long hair and dress black [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

(Exuse me for my english, its hard to write long texts)

The first metal song i ever heard was "Hero of the Day" fro dear ol' 'tallica. I was 5 and the first time i heard it, i said "When I grow up, I want to be in Mettallica" (of course,in Romanian) but that didn't make me a rocker. 7 years after that my brother got into mettallica. I was in MOdern Talking( shut up, don't want to hear anything) but the computer was louder than my casstete player so I hwas actually listening what he was listening.

When I was a child, my brother and my sister where listenning to bands like Deep Purple, Rainbow, Scorpions, AC/DC, etc...
But my favorite was this band, with a monster on the Sleeve, with an axe. And this one, too, with a pyramid... it was my favorite, and I remember I played Lego, listenning to it. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Then, I was 13-14, so I was a little bit stupid and I listen to bands like Depeche Mode. [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And it's again my sister who saved my life : she bought a tape of Metallica (Master of Puppets) : so I came back to metal.
And I changed scool, and in my new scool, everyone listen to metal ! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
I went to my first concert : Maiden on Fear of the Dark tour.

Now, the only metal bands I listen to are Slayer, Megadeth, Blaze, Maiden (of course), and the old ones : Puple, Sabbath, Rainbow, and co. (I must, for my job... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

I grew up on crap (except G'n'R) and got sick and tired of hearing the shit my mom played, so i started to buy my own CD's. At first i just bought the regular stuff that was coming out at the time, but i didnt really get into it. The only band i really liked was the Offspring, cuz they were just as pissed off as me. Then I started hanging out with this one guy, and he got me really into classic rock ( KISS, Guns 'n' Roses, Motley Crew). Then i heard maiden, and it all changed. I ditched all my other crap, except for the old rock, and started getting into harder and harder stuff. Angry stuff, cause when your a teenager, your pissed. My one friend introduced me to Children of Bodom (who is my second favorite band) and my mom's boy friend introduced me to slayer. And now i basically only listen to metal. I have just started to scratch the serface of metal though, and I have to learn of more bands. Its hard though cause when i ask about good bands, people just tell me about grind core, and i cant stand the way the people sing. If you know of good bands, and the singing is good, personal messange me. Thanks. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Aug 14 2004, 03:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Aug 14 2004, 03:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Now, the only metal bands I listen to are Slayer, Megadeth, Blaze, Maiden (of course), and the old ones : Puple, Sabbath, Rainbow, and co. (I must, for my job...  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )
[snapback]82921[/snapback]​
[/quote]
What's your job? Musical archeologist? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Aug 16 2004, 06:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Aug 16 2004, 06:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What's your job? Musical archeologist?  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]83101[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Almost ! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

my job consist to be Richie Blackmore, David Gilmour, Billy Gibbons or Jimmy Page in front of people who bang their head ! Nice job [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
But my girlfriend is archeologist, so your wasn't far of the truth...

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Aug 16 2004, 04:46 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Aug 16 2004, 04:46 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]my girlfriend is archeologist
[snapback]83168[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Lucky bugger! The older you'll get, the more she'll love you!!! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

when i was around 9 years old i began to listen to "punk" stuff,bands like blink 182,goldfinger.... but one day i saw on tv a video of a band who was really cool... wickerman video!!! but dunno why i didnt get any album.

one day i decided to get into im website and i began to listen to some song samples and i thought like "oh its the best thing ive heard ever!!!!!" then i began to get all albums and... well...here i am

I was into nu-metal, MTV-type crap. And as I've told many times before, it was a fatal car ride with the Duke that changed all that. Alexander the Great and The Clansman later, I was a convert.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 17 2004, 09:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 17 2004, 09:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And as I've told many times before, it was a fatal car ride with the Duke that changed all that.
[snapback]83547[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Dude, I think you mean "fateful", not "fatal". [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It's true. Passengers in my car usually end up with heart conditions.

(PS- Did you know that there are Autobahns in Nova Scotia?)

I got into metal when I was sailing with some friends. They cranked out some Rammstein(maybe not metal, per se), Megadeth, and Iron Maiden. I was hooked.

The first metal song I ever heard was probably Nothing Else Matters by Metallica sometime back in 2000. I didn't really like it, though I indeed thought it was an OK song. Some months later I saw a video by an unknown band called Iron Maiden. The song was Out of the Silent Planet, and I was hooked immediately! In December 2001 I bought Brave New World, and after that I was a metal maniac. I'm into other kinds of music still, but metal is clearly my favourite.

I never disliked metal - it just took me a few years to find it. I started out as a hard rock fan; my favorite bands as a kid were Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Kiss and AC/DC. (I still love those bands today, of course.) The first real metal songs I heard were "Breaking The Law" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin" from Priest, and "Run To The Hills" by Maiden. I liked them all from the moment I heard them, but not yet enough to buy the albums.

I think the real change started when a friend played me his copy of Powerslave. I'd been aware that the album was out, but hadn't sought it out to listen to. When I finally heard it, I was very impressed. A few months later, Live After Death came out. I fell in love with the cover art right away and bought it on sight. I was blown away, and quickly bought the previous 5 studio albums.

Within a year, I also had my first tastes of Black Sabbath and Metallica and I had gone to my first concert (Ozzy/Metallica). I've been hooked ever since.

But I have to add this: part of ZadrraS's original question was "why don't you listen to pop and rap?" Well, I do listen to pop and rap. I don't like much of what I hear nowadays, but I think some of it is very good. For example, I'm a big fan of Eminem and (get ready for this one!) Madonna too. I think it's a terrible thing when a person gets stuck into a metal-only mindset. If you automatically ignore any genre of music, you'll eventually miss out on some great songs.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]why don't you listen to pop and rap?[/quote]
Err... Is that even music?
Seriously, i don't like 98% of pop and rap. But some songs by eminem are good and some pop songs arent bad either. But i don't listen to them myself.

It must have been 7 years ago, my brother bought the DIO tribute cd Holy Dio and my favorite song on the album was Man on the silver mountain by Hammerfall. I downloaded most of their songs until a little red stick introduced me to maiden. The guy at stickdeath had used the intro of NotB for one of his movie and I downloaded the song. Right now I listen only to Maiden, not because there are no other good band, it's because Maiden are too good! [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] After 30 minutes of AC\DC, I get tired of it while it's been a good 2 years that I only listen to Maiden and I'm not even starting to get tired!!!

Rap is music??? I thought it was only a couple of guy talking on a crappy beat. [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Geeze i feel so old...

I think i got into metal (black Sabbath) around 82 then Dio and the usual and got into maiden about 84 then lived thru the thrash scene wow

I always liked metal but it wasn't until 5 years ago that I stopped liking shitty music. My dad's favorite band has always been Metallica so I grew up hearing his Metallica CD's. Also, I used to listen to our rock radio station a lot so I heard other good metal songs from that, but unfortunately, I liked all of the shitty Nu-metal and grunge they played too. Even more shameful is that I actually liked rap back then. Back when I used to only burn CD's with songs I downloaded, the CD's had Nu-metal, rap, and metal songs on them. It always turned out that I liked the metal songs more than the other crap.

But then, on one fateful day 6 years ago, I had heard one of the greatest ever to grace my ears at the time. It was called "2 Minutes to Midnight" and it was by a band named "Iron Maiden," a band I had only heard of before. I imediately downloaded it. Then, the next week at school, a kid asked me if I liked Iron Maiden. I only knew one of their songs but I that I liked them. He told to download "Fear of the Dark" so I did just that when I got home. It was even greater than "2 Minutes..." was. I downloaded a whole lot more of their songs and eventually bought "Powerslave." I gradually started to dislike all of the shit I had listened to before.

I wasn't interested seriously in any kind of music until about 11-12 yrs old. Then, around 1988 I liked the hard rock tunes what I heard on the radio: Final Countdown by Europe, Crazy Night by KISS, Scorpions song, stuff like that. I enjoyed them, but it was not serious.
But, still in that year, I'listened to the radio on a monday afternoon. And there started a song: CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS???? Next time the radio played it I recorded it, and listened it over and over again. I didn't know what kind of band was Iron Maiden, I didn't know a single English word, but I liked it. To that years Christmas, I asked my mom to buy me an Iron Maiden LP. And the "Seventh Son..." was under the tree. Best Christmas in my life. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] At first I didn't enjoy the album, but after several listens I learned how to enjoy it.

So, "Can I Play With Madness" is my least favourite track from "Seventh Son" now, but its catchy chorus got me into the world of metal. And I'm sure, that more complex songs wouldn't be able to catch my stupid mind. But "CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS???" was just perfect for me that purpose. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back