The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Talisman

Ghost Of The Navigator lyrics are metaphorical as Bruce portrayed destiny as the sea and the ship as his decisions in life, whereas The Talisman is a literal sea faring tale.

Re: Daily Song: The Talisman

Really solid song, and I think it has gotten better over time for me.  I give it an 8.

Gave it a 10 because there's nothing higher. One of the best songs Maiden has ever done. The intro sets the tone perfectly, and then there isn't a minute that the song lets up. Goes from a gallop into a full-on stampede. Subject matter is awesome, the lyrics match the music perfectly, it evokes mood and atmosphere, and decimates the soul. What a song. This would have fit in perfectly on any 80s Maiden album.

and the song kicks major ass live. It's a perfect three guitars showcase.

Love the intro, great mood setter. The way it hammers into high gear is headbanging paradise and the pre-chorus has the right emotional feel to balance off the raging storm of the band. On the minus side, the song ultimately does not go anywhere. The back half doesn’t satisfy the way the way the top half does. Still, a good song. Eight.

This gets a straight 10/10 from me as well.  My only gripe is with the redundant intro.  But in terms of the songs storytelling, that intro is absolutely necessary.

I don't really feel like this song is an epic.  It reminds me of Dream of Mirrors (only Talisman is about 44345343563456234535 times better IMO) in that it's long but not really "epic".  Sure the story is involving and it paints a picture but it's more of an elongated rocker than a true epic.

I think with time this will be the one song viewed as a classic by most.  It's more straightforward than Starblind or Avalon and has a bit of an old school vibe once it gets going.  With an absolutely glorious melody laid on top.

Again, 10.

8/10, A good song indeed, some good rocking parts in there, like the lyrics, good performance from BD.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the solo sounds like a storm at sea? It works perfectly in this song. Intro a bit long, but when the songs kicks in it's forgotten.

An overly long intro, which is also a bit too similar to The Legacy, keeps this song from earning top marks. It simply kicks arse. The lyrics are back to the storytelling side of Maiden, which is nice after the cryptic stuff in Avalon and Starblind, and Janick delivers a great solo. 9/10.

The Talisman is an amazing song. I love how Bruce's voice sounds like it is crying out the lyrics, like he is actually going through the events of the song. However, I think it could have been shorter. If I could, I would give this song 9.5, but since there are only solid numbers, I will give this one a 9.

I'm torn between a 9 and a 10. The initial intro is great, very scene setting and atmospheric, however I'm not so keen on the Legacy inspired part of the intro. However it then kicks in with some power. Bruce is fantastic and some of the vocal melodies are absolutely top class "No there's no one going back, no there's not a second chance..." the solo isn't one of Janick's best though, although it does improve towards the end. The lyrics can seem a little bit forced at times but when Harris gets them right they can grip you.

Live this song just works. The acoustic into provided a nice break for the band and for the audience (I was knackered after the first 3 songs!). The audience participation in between verses was great and the chorus is great to sing back at the band.

I'll settle for a 9, it's not perfect enough for a 10.

It would've been interesting if this song opened the album.
In that context, it has a very "Caught Somewhere In Time" overall vibe (after the acoustic intro, of course).

This is one of my favourite pieces of Maiden storytelling. The music does nothing but enhance the story, and it flows extremely well. The guitar solo by Gers is atmospheric and Bruce vocals delivers the right vibe. I do not feel like the intro is too long, I just get caught up in the storytelling which makes the other parts so much more powerful when the storm hits. The lyrics may be a bit forced sometimes, but not enough to rock the overall impression. 10.

I wasn't too thrilled about this song when I heard it on the album, but after hearing it on En Vivo it just grew on me and now I think it's among top 3 on the album.

Uping the topic...
Could the talisman be the key that Eddie is holding in his hand?
I can't write a long text in english 'cause I don't speak it fluently, but I really think it's a good reflexion.
The-Final-Frontier-cover.jpglogo_eddiekey.jpg

It took me over a year for this song to grow on me but when it did damn! It was fucking amazing! The intro sounds like Bruce singing in a rocking chair in the middle of the night by candle lights. The rest of the song is :edmetal:

Back