The Prisoner

How good is The Prisoner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Prisoner' song as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Prisoner'

To me it's one of the weaker songs on the album (but still one of the best songs they've ever written). I especially dig the intro part and the heavy drumming coming right behind that.

'the Prisoner'

Weaker song? The prisoner? Yes, on the Number Of The Beast. But if it would have been recorded for the No Prayer album, it would be the best song on it. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Personally, I like this song. When I was new to Maiden, this one was in my top5. I liked the intro, because of that heavy drumming by Clive. Now I don't find that intro too interesting, but I still like the guitar solos, and the chorus is also okay.

'the Prisoner'

The series is currently showing on BBC 4 for UK Digital Viewers

Having got the boxset of 'The Prisoner' series, I understand the links between the song and the series. In fact this song led me to buy the DVD boxset and watch the series. Patrick McGoohan's work is obviously much respected by Steve Harris, as two songs are dedicated to 'The Prisoner' (This and Back In The Village). The solo is the high point for me, and as everyone else thinks, the intro (including the spoken intro!). However I think the song is a little bit weak in the main verse and chorus. The chord sequence has little to make it different to the earlier two albums in places. Having said this still, its one of the first Maiden songs I heard and I love it!

'the Prisoner'

[!--QuoteBegin-No More Tears+Apr 27 2004, 06:35 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(No More Tears @ Apr 27 2004, 06:35 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Boring song. Completley overrtaed song and crap chorus
[snapback]63264[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:rolleyes2:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes[2].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes[2].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Are you sure you dig Maiden?You must be the first one not liking it...
...to me 'The Prisoner' still is and will always be in my top ten Maiden songs!

'the Prisoner'

great track, with a really catchy chorus and a brilliant guitar solo. The intro riff is a classic, too! 4 stars (it might be better, but standing next to songs like Hallowed or Children is a tough job [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

'the Prisoner'

The heavy drums, riffs and superb singing are all great rock song material. Classic chorus, and the solos that are sure to hit that nerve in me, everytime I hear the song.
My favourite line: If you kill me it's self defence....

Four stars for a refreshing rocker. "What was the band's name again?"

'the Prisoner'

A great rocker, with powerful chords, an amazing solo, and a fast tempo. It is because of songs like this that I got into heavy metal in the first place! The song has that quintessential Iron Maiden mixture of heaviness and harmony.

'the Prisoner'

4.5/5. It's a great song, and I like it a lot. Can't seem to give it a 5, though. Maybe a 4.9.

Re: 'the Prisoner'

This song is absolutely amazing!! It is not the best on the album, but it is up there!

The drumming in the beginning of the song is an absolute eargasm. As for the rest of the song I think it all fits together wonderfully.

Decent length, good chorus, awesome drum intro, and a nice guitar solo make this particular song nothing but a worthy 5/5.

Daily Song: The Prisoner

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Prisoner

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

An iconic song; not like Number of the Beast or Run to the Hills; this seems to be the Maiden song you ask people about when you want to see if they're really Maiden fans. A decent little short rocker, but it's nothing that super-excites me. 7.

Re: Daily Song: The Prisoner

Not that long ago, I said there were only 2 songs that top Children of the Damned on Number of the Beast. This is one of them. The intro riff is one of my favourite intro riffs of all time, has a catchy chorus, and I just freaking love the instrumental section! 9/10

A solid rocker, and one of the better songs on The Number of the Beast.  Run to the Hills has got nothing on this.  8/10

I second Invader's opinion. I'd like to add that the chorus is great and so are the solos. This is an 8, and close to being a 9.

Yeah, 8/10. Chorus is great, I like the quite simple but cool intro (after the spoken intro) and it's one of the more upbeat Maiden songs.

Unless I miss my guess, this marks the first installment of what became a Maiden staple — the Adrian Smith rock song featuring a catchy melodic chorus over a basic chord sequence. Not exactly a pure classic, but definitely a sentimental favourite for me. Nine some days, but eight today. PS Love the little bit in the pre-chorus where Steve rises in the mix to play what I would call lead bass, That’s a signature move from the golden era that I wish they’d bring back.

I love this song, the riff is really cool and the chorus is very strong, catchy as hell, one of the best of the album. The solos are inspired as well.
That's a shame this song is forgot so many times because it's a pretty good tune. 8/10.

Back