The Olympic Games 2008 (sport topic)

I'm not too interested in the Olympics, like LC I'm kind of boycotting it, and will only watch whatever happens to be on when my mum turns on the telly. So speaking of which last night I got to see Brazil vs. Belgium men's soccer match, where Brazil won 1-0 and there were like 10 yellow cards given and 2 red cards. The first one may have been deserved, but the second one was ridiculous. Considering that by the end Belgium were playing with 9 men, they played a very good defensive game, forcing Brazil to pass the ball around instead of shooting at the goal. The only sports I'm interested in is soccer and perhaps swimming (it'll be interesting to see how Michael Phelps does). I noted already today in the Swedish newspapers alot of coverage was given to which athletes have protested the human rights situation in China (40).

LooseCannon said:
They put something like half a million people out of work in Beijing by forcing factories to close, threw millions of cars off the road, and it's BARELY WORKED.  Gross air.

According to the head of the IOC, it's just mist.  Really, really thick mist.  Mist that gives you pulmonary tumours.  Hmm.

I just watched the last half of the opening ceremony, and I was quite impressed with the lighting of the flame.  When I saw the wires on the torch bearer's back, my first thought was 'You cannot be fucking serious'.  It turns out that the whole affair was organised by the director of Hero and House of Flying Daggers.  It was mildly amusing watching the flame-bearer pretend to run around the whole roof of the stadium.

As for sports...I'm not really that interested in many of them.  I may watch the Men's Foil individual heats and finals, but even that won't be so good...competitive fencing is a little bit boring to watch (especially a couple of years ago, when flick hits to the back were allowed...).  I don't really plan on watching any of the other events, unless I'm bored and they're on the iPlayer.

Raven said:
According to the head of the IOC, it's just mist.  Really, really thick mist.  Mist that gives you pulmonary tumours.  Hmm.

Someone who has been in Beijing within the past year or two told me that smog and man-made emissions are only part of the problem.  Much of the "mist" is, according to him, particulate matter such as dirt and sand blown in from the north.  Apparently, massive deforestation in the north has led to significant wind erosion of the soil, and that stuff blows until it hits something, such as the tall buildings in Beijing. 

My oh my! I just saw a fantastic final of the individual road race for men.

Fabian Cancellara from Switzerland was extraordinary strong, bringing 2 groups together. In the end he got the bronze medal but he sure was most impressive! Amazing good stuff.

I am eager for judo now as well. Dutchman Reuben Houkes won the bronze medal in the -60 KG category!

Some nice swimming earlier on!

Phelps started well with his first gold.

The Dutch women (world record holders) did excellent in the relay 4x100 freestyle: GOLD
Before that, there was a press conference where the Americans said they would surely win, only having to beat Australia. This ignorance made the race only more motivating for the Dutch, making the victory even a bit more sweet.

Next up:

Football: Netherlands - USA
Basketball: China - USA

I missed Phelps' race :( I've found the olympics to be great background noise overall :p A few handball and water polo matches here, a beach volleyball match there... catch a nap, wake up the the closing seconds of the cycling race... all good :D

Onhell said:
....wake up the the closing seconds of the cycling race.
I assume this was the women's road race? If so, and here is another one of my pointless trivia items, the winning gold medallists (Nicole Cooke) is the first Welsh Olympic champion in any sport for 36 years. However, the winner of the gold in the women's 400 metre freestyle (Rebecca Adlington) is the first women to win an Olympic swimming gold for Britain in 48 years.

The men's 4x100 meter freestyle final was one of the more exciting and satisfying Olympic competitions I can recall.  Screw you, frenchies.  :p

I agree! I was laying on the couch and GOT UP for the last leg of the race! The Frenchman had a body's length of a lead on the American and to see him catch up and WIN was amazing! Did you see all the swimmers (not just the french and americans) who were well below the WR? WOW! Good swimmers all around.

Onhell said:
Did you see all the swimmers (not just the french and americans) who were well below the WR? WOW!

Even before the Olympics began, some were concerned that the new-fangled swimsuits were so technologically advanced that they would cause records to be shattered, particularly in freestyle.  Based on this race, those concerns may have been well-founded.  We'll see what happens in the individual 100M and 50M freestyle events.  Nevertheless, a gripping race.  Glad to know someone with a non-U.S. bias (I am completely biased -- U! S! A!) also enjoyed it. 

I enjoy good competition, and the U.S oddly wasn't favored in the relay so I also like Underdogs :D. I wished I could've seen the U.S vs. China Basketball game, just from the highlights it looked incredible.

There is a reason that the Olympics are only held every four years. These are sports that are really boring and no one else would care about, save a few, which are Gymnastics. The only reason swimming is covered so heavily is that Michael Phelps will probably win 6 or seven gold medals. The one event that I truly love watching is women's beach volley ball. Misty Mays (I know she has a hyphenated name because she is now married:sigh:)  and Kerry Walsh running around in those skin tight, barely there outfits is pure ratings gold!! Seriously though, I know these athletes work and train very hard, but I can't realy get excited watching most of these events.

Swimming and Diving are always covered extensively, but I agree, most of the events, specially the ones added with each Olympics is ridiculous. BMX in the Olympics? Give me a break, what's next? Texas Hold 'em?

I think a drinking game would be best.

I just heard that Women's Softball is being removed from the Olympics, because the US women's team has won too much.

In any case, it gives a whole new meaning to the term "Olympic Spirit" :D

Back