the Official fan club forum

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I still wonder what happened to a mod from there named Buggerflicker though.

He was doing OK 3 months ago.He just didn't seem too willing to join here as a common mortal.  :p
Strange thing is that he's not the only one that didn't want to join here.

I've heard stories of how bad the free forum was but when I joined it was just when the mods got rid of the last remaining spammers (Nicko's Nose - that one I can still remember and 3 more) and the last 2 years it was the greatest online spot to hang around.
There was a period that the active member count was dropping but there was a core of members that would always be there.There was always some quality discussion not just about maiden but other bands, movies, video games, books, sports or politics.
If it ever reopens I''ll be on both places for sure.Now and then I'm wondering what zenguitar or Cardiff Iron or other guys could be doing now.

I post on the official board, been doing so since 1998 or so.  But I have to admit that this place right here is probably my favorite Maiden board. 

Dedicated server with Quad Core Xeons, fast drives in hardware RAID, lots of RAM (> 8GB) and lots of other goodies, with 100mbps redudant link + ~2TB monthly bandwidth + site backup can be leased for $300 monthly.

Maiden's website is hosted on DNS record chocolate.blackhosting.com, company which does VPS webhosting - in layman's terms, that company leases servers from above paragraph, and then resells parts of that box to end customers.
In such a solution, you aren't guaranteed network speed or processing power, the reseller doesn't guarantee redundancy or anything. It's a SOHO solution, with more and more small companies going for virtual dedicated server leases. In that plan, you get a virtual instance inside a physical server, but you are guaranteed some processing power and network speed.

Therefore, Maiden spends petty cash on their web site, so it's not a surprise their website is sometimes hogged, slowed, and that they needed to take down the free forum.
Just for the sake of comparison, in 2009 I did a HA cluster contained of two HP 380DLG5 nodes + server area storage. In that kind of scenario, total processing power is processing power of a single node - the other node just hops in if first fails. 380DLG5 is roughly comparable in terms of CPU power and everything (except storage system and management tools) with server Maiden mgmt could lease for $300/mo.

Now, my cluster holds a primary database for the main clinical hospital for the city of 100.000 people.
Therefore, if Rod spit $300 / monthly for web server, they wouldn't have any performance issue or bottleneck.

Murder89 said:
He just didn't seem too willing to join here as a common mortal.
Strange thing is that he's not the only one that didn't want to join here.

That's the legacy of He Who Must Not Be Named. Maidenfans is still recovering from what he did to our reputation.

Although the mod not wanting to be a mortal ... of course not. Once you've tasted power, you're tainted for life. :innocent:

He used to struck noobs in the belly near the navel, so that all their bowels were coming gushing out on to the ground, and the darkness of death over them as they lay gasping.

I think he kicked their ass with his left thumb.  Because his right thumb was too deadly.

I love reading old threads. I remember when I used to actually consider most of the members here by their board names. My mind doesn't work that way anymore.

Wow.

Have I really spent the last 7 years virtually hanging out with you fucks?

LooseCannon said:
I love reading old threads. I remember when I used to actually consider most of the members here by their board names. My mind doesn't work that way anymore.

Wow.

Have I really spent the last 7 years virtually hanging out with you fucks?

I think the same thing-- 4 years.  Though, its nice to have a wide variety of virtual friends!!  Before here, I didn't know anyone from outside the US, now I'm expanding. ;)

Genghis Khan said:
Oh yeah.  I forgot about that one.  He was gone quite a while before that and then came back briefly.

Yeah, the first time, I was the victim of his Mighty sword. He struck me close to absolute zero, and then disappeared -don't know if there was a connection between the two events, though... The reason of His Mighty Anger must remain secret to mortals, yet I can describe thee the epic event, as I recall it by memory after so many years:

He Who Must Not Be Named mad with rage darted towards me, with his wondrous shield before his breast, and his gleaming helmet, made with four layers of metal, nodding fiercely forward. The thick tresses of gold which Vulcan had crested the helmet floated round it, and as the evening star that shines brighter than all others through the stillness of night, even such was the gleam of the spear which The Almighty poised in his right hand, fraught with the smash of noble Five. He eyed my fair flesh over and over to see where he could best wound it, but all was protected by the goodly armor, save only the throat where the collar-bones divide the neck from the shoulders, and this is a most deadly place: here then did He Who Must Not Be Named strike me as he was coming on towards me, and the point of his spear went right through the fleshy part of the neck, but it did not sever my windpipe so that I could still post.
[...]

Shortly after that you PM me to ask me what happened and -mainly- to piss me off a little more. And I think, this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship   ;)

Official Forum....sucks....

I just joined the full on Maiden fan club mainly for the pre-sales on tickets, but the extra goodies and discounts don't hurt either.  I have yet to post on their offical FC forum yet though because.....it's absolutely retarded.  You really have to pick through a lot of bull shit threads to find people posting well thought out opinions and what not.  Fan club member or not, this right here is my Maiden home!

Re: Official Forum....sucks....

With mods like Khan there, I find it hard to believe that it's really that bad. Unless it's such a busy place that it's hard to keep up with it all.

Re: Official Forum....sucks....

i didn't know khan was a mod. makes me wonder why he bothered posting in the free forum. or even here for that matter

______no5 said:
Yeah, the first time, I was the victim of his Mighty sword. He struck me close to absolute zero, and then disappeared -don't know if there was a connection between the two events, though... The reason of His Mighty Anger must remain secret to mortals, yet I can describe thee the epic event, as I recall it by memory after so many years:

He Who Must Not Be Named mad with rage darted towards me, with his wondrous shield before his breast, and his gleaming helmet, made with four layers of metal, nodding fiercely forward. The thick tresses of gold which Vulcan had crested the helmet floated round it, and as the evening star that shines brighter than all others through the stillness of night, even such was the gleam of the spear which The Almighty poised in his right hand, fraught with the smash of noble Five. He eyed my fair flesh over and over to see where he could best wound it, but all was protected by the goodly armor, save only the throat where the collar-bones divide the neck from the shoulders, and this is a most deadly place: here then did He Who Must Not Be Named strike me as he was coming on towards me, and the point of his spear went right through the fleshy part of the neck, but it did not sever my windpipe so that I could still post.
[...]

Shortly after that you PM me to ask me what happened and -mainly- to piss me off a little more. And I think, this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship   ;)
Hah!  The funny analogy deserves a praise.

Back