The non-performing years: 1975, 1989, 1994, 1997, 2015, 2020 & 2021

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I wonder if 2012 will be Maiden's complete year off, at least when it comes to playing gigs.

No gigs during a calender year:
This would only be the fourth time since their existence (1975(!)-) and the first time since this line-up (1999-).

Last edited:
I can't see them doing any UK gigs this year, so it doesn't make much difference to me personally. All I hope is they're writing & thinking ahead to their next album. If that's all they're doing (or planning to do) I'll be happy.

I also rather see them working on a new album, and being busy with other stuff such as a solo project or anything else they'd like to do. I'd be very happy if we'll see a new Maiden album in 2013, instead of e.g. 2014.

Although clearly about now probably is when they're writing, even if they tour in late 2012, & into 2013. I mean, TFF came out while they were on tour, so clearly all the material was in the writing quite a bit before they hit the studio.

So the acclerated schedule is: writing material for next album (2012); bit of touring (2012/2013); studio (mid-2013); touring new album (2013/2014) --& fuck a retro tour! :D

Update:

1989 (Adrian Smith: A.S.a.P - Silver and Gold; Bruce works on solo material; Iron Maiden: Maiden England)
1994 (search for new singer, recording of The X-Factor)
1997 (recording of Virtual XI)
2015 (work on and release of 16th album, treatment/recovery Bruce)

2015, for the first time in 18(!) years: the fourth -and most probably last- calendar year without Maiden concerts, before they break up.

Last edited:
Update:

1989 (Adrian Smith: A.S.a.P - Silver and Gold; Bruce works on solo material; Iron Maiden: Maiden England)
1994 (search for new singer, recording of The X-Factor)
1997 (recording of Virtual XI)
2015 (work on and release of 16th album, treatment/recovery Bruce)

2015, for the first time in 18(!) years: the fourth -and most probably last- calendar year without Maiden concerts, before they break up.

I think it's very likely. And if it's true, that's still an incredibly impressive track record. By 2017, Maiden will have only taken ONE in TWENTY years off of touring and it was to record an album and deal with cancer treatment? That makes them mighty.

Some years only had a few gigs (2001 & 2002) but still impressive for a band "on age". I've also understood that staying active is important for Nicko, in a practical sense. Playing gigs, to keep busy is important for his physical abilities.

I wonder if they will try to make up for it in 2016 (US and Euro tour in one year) or keep the usually one one year the other the next

They might have to spread themselves out or risk being absent from everywhere too long

When you consider that 94 Blaze had the motorbike crash, 2015 Bruce had cancer and this year the plague, then you really only have 89 and 97 as years they deliberately did nothing.

Yes, these are the years without touring for Maiden (only 1989 and 1997 were years when they deliberately did nothing)

Even without touring, these years had big releases for the band - Maiden England video, Raising Hell video, TBOS album and NOTD live album (only the year 1997 was with no activity by the band)

Yes, these are the years without touring for Maiden (only 1989 and 1997 were years when they deliberately did nothing)

Even without touring, these years had big releases for the band - Maiden England video, Raising Hell video, TBOS album and NOTD live album (only the year 1997 was with no activity by the band)

Well, they spent the bulk of the summer and late 1997 writing and recording the Virtual 11 album - so it would be wrong to say that they did *nothing* that year. I think only 1989 can be said to have been a year off for the band with the only things really happening were Steve working on the Maiden England video and Dickinson + Smith pursuing other musical endeavours.

Reading through this thread is interesting. I was a little confused by the first post but then remembered a few things. For one, Maiden England was announced quite some time after the TFF tour ended. It wasn’t like with TBOS where they announced the next tour almost immediately after. I guess a cabaret tour after an album wasn’t a given, although maybe it should’ve been. In retrospect, the only real surprises about Maiden’s touring activities since the reunion are the ones that were outside their control: Bruce’s cancer and coronavirus.

Also, as others have noted, they’ve rarely taken a year off in the true sense of the word. There’s often something going on in the interim. I wonder if that will hold true for 2020, or if Adrian’s solo album was the most output from these guys. I also remember going into 2015 feeling like Maiden had been out of commission/in cabaret mode for awhile, but then we got a double album.

Back