The Next Album (expectations / desires)

Iron Maiden, in my opinion, (which, the last time I checked, I was allowed to state) have been overly confident and now take themselves and their music far too seriously. The artistic feeling is gone for me, because as I said before it simply sounds like the music is coming from a machine. Rather than writing real material that, to use a cliche, comes from the heart, Maiden seem more intent on keeping their legacy intact by taking no risks and instead spewing out pompous, overproduced 'progressive' bullshit. SSOASS sounds legitamate, interesting, spontaneous and almost perfect, while AMOLAD sounds contrived, so carefully written that it just comes off as superficial.

To me it seems more like they were making a soundtrack for a movie. Like they knew the songs before they wrote them and had to piece them together. Everything has the 'Heard it before, heard it better' sound to it. This is my opinion, that I don't expect many to share. I've listened to album several times, and this was not my first impression. I looked deeper into the music, and didn't sense any creativity save a few songs.

ShadowWave said:
I'm hoping for something spontaneous, or at least legimately creative like they were making up until 2003, not superficial and overdone like the last two albums have been. Seriously, Maiden are becoming a studio band, the artistic feeling is gone. It's like they're using a machine to write the music now.

What?! I so disagree with you! How can you claim DoD, one of their most diverse albums isn't creative? With it's mix of an all-star set of unique tracks? And how can you ignore the progressive style of AMOLAD? Each track on this album is a world on it's own.
Please, tell me, what do you call creative and what do you expect from Maiden?

pls don't take me suggestions too seriously, i'm just bluff anyway hohoho ..

# the band should produce sort of "re-charge your battery" kinda stuff on their next album but in a Maiden way of course! doesn't mean that they should collaborate with outside composers or rap singers etc but in term of their lyrical content .. i can't do anything if there is a big sin for the band like iron maiden to come out just once, of their lifetime career .. with comedy stuffs! and i do think that they're already made it into that territory thru their B-side stuffs with "space station", "talk to nicko", "age of innocence" (nicko's version), "sheriff of huddersfield" etc .. in conclusion, musically it still pure fucking Maiden but lyrically, it can make us laughs to death!!!

#more songs that feature only smith/gers guitar solo, instead of the usual smith/dave or gers/dave or each of amigos single-solo as we found from their previous discography. imho, this is the one and the only way to convince me (not US cos i dunno whether this guitar solo thing is the main concern to all of you people) that Dave Murray, Janick Gers and Adrian Smith are all have an equal position as a lead guitarist of Iron Maiden. But from their previous stuffs (until the arrival of the song "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns"), I always have a strange feeling that Dave Murray is de-facto Chief-Lead Guitarist of Iron Maiden, Janick Gers became Assistant-Chief Lead Guitarist of Iron Maiden and at the end, Adrian Smith is the 3rd Lead Guitarist for the band why? coz when it come for a dual-solo stuffs in Maiden song, Dave Murray is a must then the other soloist would be either Janick or Adrian or otherwise, each of them just have their own solo throughout the song or all of them will burst out triple guitar solo attack as widely appear of most of DoD album and FTGGOG! so, the suggestion would be more Gers/Smith guitar solo or many more triple guitar solo .. and one more, Janick solos with wah-wah would be cool (the last time he did if i not mistaken, during FOTD on the song "The Apparition").

#more songs that features Adrian on backup vocals or maybe Nicko hahaha

ShadowWave has a point. AMOLAD does sometimes sound like a soundtrack, and maybe it would be more "interesting" if their next album was more colorful and didn't fit together so conspicuously like a puzzle set.

I hope they will experiment more with three guitars.

Just listen to the solos on 'the Unbeliever' where Janick and Dave plays a duet, it's beautiful and they 'speak' to eachother. They should do that again with three guitars!!!

They should play songs on the new album with all 3 guitarists? Yes, that would be new and exciting.

What if they did an album that had one song on it based on a dream that would be misconstrued as a devil worshipping song. The album would be damned by the Evangelists as pure evil, stoking up fantastic publicity and propel the band onto being the biggest metal (if not the biggest any genre band) in the world. They could call it something like "The Number of the Beast"

Back in the Village said:
What if they did an album that had one song on it based on a dream that would be misconstrued as a devil worshipping song. The album would be damned by the Evangelists as pure evil, stoking up fantastic publicity and propel the band onto being the biggest metal (if not the biggest any genre band) in the world. They could call it something like "The Number of the Beast"

What a terrible idea. It could never work.

Well, they could always save their image with a song like...... let's say....... Revelations?

So has Maiden. You do remember Prowler '88 and Charlotte '88, right? Also the studio version of Wrathchild with Bruce on vocals (bonus track on Ed Hunter). And Journeyman, which is available in both acoustic and electric versions.

I want some sing along choruses back.  I really liked AMOLAD but I think it lacked choruses a crowd can sing along to (maybe excpet for These Colours Don't Run).  There were a few on DOD, but only a few.  BNW had some good ones, but again, compared to stuff like CIPWM which had The Evil That Men Do, Can I Play With Madness, The Clairvoyant, Moonchild etc. all which (in my opinion) have great sing-a-long-choruses.  Even Fear of the Dark had some great sing-a-longs like Be Quick... etc. I'm not saying I want more commercial single type stuff, just some good sing-a-long type choruses to pepper all the great other stuff Maiden come up with these days. 

pilau said:
What? And release the same song twice? Too daft. 't wouldn't sell.

You know I was kidding, right? :p

Anyway, I tend to agree with Gaz here. I sometimes feel like the songs on AMOLAD are too solitary (is that how you say it?), if you get me. I know, I know. AMOLAD is supposed to be dark and all, but this only emphasizes why I think the ndw album should sound a little more, say, lightened-up. And I think sing-along choruses would hit the spot for a liggter album.

I'm not going to look you up, where are you from pilau? You sound young and if so.... we can help you.

Back