the most unusual Maiden song?

I'd like to add The Pilgrim to the list as well.

The drum intro is rather rare in Metal and more atypical to hip-hop (I love it though). The brief instrumental section after the chorus (first two times) is very unique and I think they haven't captured that sense of 'oriental-sounding' melody since Powerslave's title-track and same goes for the guitar solo. The lead harmony is one of my favourite by them and again the later half gives a totally different tone to it.

The most unusual Maiden songs are not so many, IMHO.

You have :

- Strange World
- Total Eclipse,
- To Tame A Land
- Mother Russia
- The Apparition
- The Unbeliever
- Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
- The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
- Journeyman, Age Of Innocence, Face In The Sand
- The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, The Legacy
- Man Who Would Be King, Starblind
- If Eternity Should Fail, Empire Of The Clouds, Man Of Sorrows, The Great Unknown
- Senjutsu, The Writing On The Wall, Lost In A Lost World

The rest of band's repertoire are typical Maiden songs.

I'm gonna repeat some that have already been said:
- Strange world: it has for some reason a very late 60's/70's vibe that is nowhere to be found in any other Maiden song
- Innocent exile: you can really feel that it was of the first songs Steve wrote, the rhythm and riff is quite unusual for Maiden
- Prodigal son: it should have been weird to have an acoustic guitar in a Maiden song specially when it'll happen again will be more than 10 years after that
- From here to eternity: it just feels it was a song on command, not really what they wanted to write but some kind of single that could be played on radio (yeah they might have done it before with CIPWM but it wasn't so obvious)
- Fear is the key: Very unusual rhythm, very unusual structure
- Chains of misery: again, as with some other songs on FOTD, it seems that they're really trying to step outside the classic Maiden writing style and it doesn't feel natural
- The apparition: same remark as above, not really a Maiden song apart from the instrumental section
- Weekend warrior: same remark once again
- Look for the truth/The aftermath: the rhythm during the verses are not the usual Maiden style
- Blood on the world's hands: really weird intro, very weird/unusual riff
- The Unbeliever: almost the whole song but mainly the instrumental section is something never heard of Maiden before (or even after)
- The angel and the gambler: that 70's vibe and guitar sound (and I won't talk about the cheesy keyboard) feels really weird specially when it was the only song on the whole album that was really different from that point of view
- Como estais amigos: not really the song itself but just the fact that for the first time, a song with a non english title
- Journeyman: a full acoustic song on a Maiden album? Bruce tried it in 86 but it was totally rejected. 17 years later it worked fine
- Satellite 15: it has to be the most unusual intro Maiden has ever used. I still remember when listening to the album for the first time I was like "wait...what is this...is it the new Maiden album???"
- Starblind: the rhythms used here are quite uncommon for Maiden
- Empire of the clouds: a piano in a Maiden song???? After fifteen albums they introduced a new instrument...quite a surprise!!! (even if it's more of a Bruce solo song but still it's on a Maiden album)
- The writing on the wall: first time listening to it, it didn't feel like a Maiden song, more like a hard rock "generic" song, not really metal or Maiden...

Back