the most unusual Maiden song?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
thinking of unusual Maiden songs, at first Prodigal Son comes to my mind. so much different in style & everything they did ever before and after. and one of my favourite Maiden songs. any opinions?

Apart from ''Prodigal Son'' and ''Journeyman'', the other one is ''Empire Of The Clouds'', I think. The use of a piano and the fact that the song is 18 minutes long is quite unusual for Maiden.

Strange World - Hendrix-esque psychedelic rock
Prodigal Son - Jethro Tull folky shenanigans
The Apparition - Sub-AC-DC nonsense
Chains of Misery - Sub-W.A.S.P. nonsense
The Angel and the Gambler - Maiden Quo
Journeyman - fully acoustic
Empire of the Clouds - Maiden goes to Broadway
Senjutsu - Tool-esque prog metal

As soon as I saw this thread title I thought 'Prodigal Son', but by now that's just redundant.

I've always thought a Different World sounds oddly chipper as the lead track on such a dark album.

Mission from Arry (for obvious reasons…)
Journeyman (its the only full acoustic Maiden song)
Satellite 15 (I recognise every Maiden song within a millisecond, but this one has such a usual opening that you automatically think it is a Nine Inch Nails song or something)

There are quite a few songs that were unusual for our favorite band. I can quote "Empire Of The Clouds", "Senjutsu", "Journeyman", the intro of "Satellite 15...The Final Frontier", "Starblind", "Age Of Innocence", "Face In The Sand", "The Thin Line Between Love And Hate", "Mother Russia", "The Unbeliever"...

What Tool song sounds like “Senjutsu”? And is there anything prog about it beyond the fact that they’re using 6/8 instead of 4/4? It’s definitely a unique song for the band but I’m not sure I get the comparisons here. As far as song structure goes it’s pretty straightforward with just a couple twists throughout. I’d say it’s more doom metal.

What Tool song sounds like “Senjutsu”? And is there anything prog about it beyond the fact that they’re using 6/8 instead of 4/4? It’s definitely a unique song for the band but I’m not sure I get the comparisons here. As far as song structure goes it’s pretty straightforward with just a couple twists throughout. I’d say it’s more doom metal.
The rolling drum rhythm is straight out of the Tool play book. Plenty of people have commented on the similarities. Also Maiden have never wrote anything with that sort of beat before.

I wouldn't call it doom metal. Not enough flange on the guitars.

The Apparition - Sub-AC-DC nonsense
The Angel and the Gambler - Maiden Quo
I don't think ''The Angel And The Gambler'' is that unusual for the band. I find more or less the same vibe in ''Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger''.

About the AC/DC comparison, more rock type of songs can be found not only in FOTD album but in NPFTD too - ''Holy Smoke'' and ''Hooks In You''.

And yes, the drumming in ''Senjutsu'' is quite unusual for the band. The use of a double bass pedal in ''Face In The Sand'' too.

Back