The MAIDEN Years: 2018/19/20/21/22/ad infinitum (Rock in Rio and Nights of the Dead)

2008 was also one of the best Maiden live years performance-wise imo. It seemed they were really enjoying bringing that show to a newer generation and getting much better crowd responses in general. They sounded very tight and Bruce was on fire as well.

Last edited:
Pardon me? Rime of the Ancient Mariner for the first time in 21 years! :)
I didn't complain.

I'm in between yours and Moshs' opinion on this. Rime was great, but lack of any SiT other than the usual two culprits was a downer. I remember being really angry that they've included Fear of the Dark.

I expected a trip back to my favourite album, I did not get it.

I still believe they could've rotated HCW for Stranger or play Sea of Madness again. I firmly disbelieve that average metal fan Maiden was targeting that time around, knows 100% of this setlist.

But I rate things at what they are not what I expected them to be. SBiT tour was awesome and Flight 666 is a testament to that. And a good documentary too.

I think Flight 666, the video piece, is a big step forward towards helping Maiden stay relevant to the overall zeitgeist. They brought in Banger Films, who have done some incredible metal documentaries like Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, which are just landmark video essays on the genre and other big bands, and Flight 666 was absolutely no different. It had a theatrical release! How many metal documentaries get a theatrical release! It remains a huge monument to Iron Maiden, the band that was in 2008 - both for the music and the behind the scenes work.

Absolutely a must watch for any Iron Maiden fan. Where The Early Days is essential, it also was missing the touch of a skilled screenmaker, and this has that touch. Really great stuff.

I think Flight 666, the video piece, is a big step forward towards helping Maiden stay relevant to the overall zeitgeist. They brought in Banger Films, who have done some incredible metal documentaries like Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, which are just landmark video essays on the genre and other big bands, and Flight 666 was absolutely no different. It had a theatrical release! How many metal documentaries get a theatrical release! It remains a huge monument to Iron Maiden, the band that was in 2008 - both for the music and the behind the scenes work.

Absolutely a must watch for any Iron Maiden fan. Where The Early Days is essential, it also was missing the touch of a skilled screenmaker, and this has that touch. Really great stuff.

It's also been shown on terrestrial television, quite a few non-metal people I know told me it was enjoyable.

lack of any SiT other than the usual two culprits was a downer.
"Heaven Can Wait" hadn't been played for 5 years at that point and "Wasted Years" for nine years (on a rather "confidential" tour, compared to the others).

Besides, Maiden, since the reunion, seems to alternate between tours destined to "the masses" (GMETID, Eddie Rips Up the World, SBOT, ME, LOTB) and tours that focus more courageously on their latest releases (the most courageous being the first leg of AMOLAD tour or even the first leg of TFF tour). So I guess it was the classics' or semi-classics' turn to rear their head then.

Last edited:
"Heaven Can Wait" hadn't been played for 10 years at that point and "Wasted Years" for nine years (on a rather "confidential" tour, compared to the others).
Yeah, and to be fair both Ed Huntour and GMETD were pretty short compared to the others, specially considering SBIT was a world tour. I agree they played it safe and would've loved some SIT deep cuts, but at the same time it was the first time they played Aces High, Revelations, WY, Powerslave, HCW and Clairvoyant in Latin America after the reunion (WY for the first time ever as well). Add Rime and Moonchild in there and we have half the setlist. Same can be said for Asia. It was meant to be a worldwide Greatest Hits tour and it did its job, but I guess we all agree that the inclusion of FOTD was really frustrating.

Rock Am Ring 2003
The Give Me Ed Til I’m Dead tour holds a special place in my heart as it was the first Maiden show I attended (and my first concert). Denver, 2003. There’s even a pretty good video bootleg of the show. The concert has gained more significance in recent times as it was also the only time I got to see Dio and Motorhead live, something I’m very grateful for.

This was a really cool tour. First of all, opening with The Number of the Beast and The Trooper back to back was an awesome decision. It’s fun because you really don’t know what to expect for the rest of the concert when they’re opening with songs that traditionally go closer to the end. Even Hallowed Be Thy Name appears very early on.

We’re pretty spoiled now as many of the songs on this set have been played on several tours since, but for 2003 this was a feast of rarities. Revelations hadn’t been played since the Powerslave era, 22 Acacia Avenue hadn’t been played since 1991. Die With Your Boots On and Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter also hadn’t been played since the early 90s. And, with the exception of Revelations, those are all songs that you could still consider rarities today.
Hope you don't mind I go back to 2003 but this was the best sounding bootleg.
Guitarists do not have the same volume in the mix though. Janick is the softest, Adrian is heard best. Still a great, full sound and atmosphere.
(Edit: just heard Rock am Ring and there Janick is also the softest (e.g. his solo in BNW))

Enjoy!

(Great gig, I was there and I remember Bruce did some dangerous climbing. Probably during HCW. I don't think he did such daring stuff on later tours)

Last edited:
Pardon me? Rime of the Ancient Mariner for the first time in 21 years! :)
I didn't complain. Finally experiencing the best song this band ever did. It was mindblowing. Indeed some more deeper cuts would be nice, but man, this was good.
I'm in between yours and Moshs' opinion on this. Rime was great, but lack of any SiT other than the usual two culprits was a downer. I remember being really angry that they've included Fear of the Dark.

I expected a trip back to my favourite album, I did not get it.

I still believe they could've rotated HCW for Stranger or play Sea of Madness again. I firmly disbelieve that average metal fan Maiden was targeting that time around, knows 100% of this setlist.

But I rate things at what they are not what I expected them to be. SBiT tour was awesome and Flight 666 is a testament to that. And a good documentary too.
Yea don’t misunderstand me here, it’s less interesting in the sense that we knew Rime would be played and there aren’t a ton of left field choices. But that’s fine, this is a case where that is the way to go. I don’t really have any complaints about this one.

I can definitely empathize with people wanting more Somewhere in Time material though. The tour was named after the album and featured SIT imagery pretty prominently so this seemed like the opportunity to dig deep into that album. Stranger in a Strange Land or Sea of Madness would’ve been my picks.

Hope you don't mind I go back to 2003 but this was the best sounding bootleg.
Guitarists do not have the same volume in the mix though. Janick is the softest, Adrian is heard best. Still a great, full sound and atmosphere.
(Edit: just heard Rock am Ring and there Janick is also the softest (e.g. his solo in BNW))

Enjoy!

(Great gig, I was there and I remember Bruce did some dangerous climbing. Probably during HCW. I don't think he did such daring stuff on later tours)
This isn’t available in the US, what show is this?

It is worth noting that even though a lot of these songs had been played by this lineup before, it was mostly on smaller scale summer tours, not the big world tours (which up until that point had been reserved for album tours). So it’s fair to still consider songs like Revelations and Heaven Can Wait we bring in the rarity realm.

Re: the absence of SiT songs on the SBiT tour - I was similarly aggrieved about SiT getting 0 representation on the LOTB tour. Nicko even had the SiT Eddie on his kit! I felt like Wasted Years would have fit the retrospective theme quite well, bit it was played on the BoS tour, I guess.

TETMD being the only SSOASS song annoyed me a bit too.

THAT BEING SAID it was a phenomemal setlist and they can't fit absolutely everything in - some albums/periods have to be left out.

This era will always hold a special place in my heart as I first became a fan of Maiden in December of 2007, and my first time seeing them live was June of 2008 on the SBIT tour. I feel like this was the perfect tour to see as a first-timer, getting a chance to hear all the classics of the back catalogue, I honestly couldn't have asked for a better set list.

And then my second time seeing them being the 2010 leg of the TFF tour, I got to see the best of the reunion era and get all the bases covered in just two tours.

THAT BEING SAID it was a phenomemal setlist and they can't fit absolutely everything in - some albums/periods have to be left out.
I agree. However, they could implement a rotation (if they wanted to bother...which seems to be hardly the case ;).

1. Churchill's Speech
2. Aces High (Can't be removed because of the production)
3. Where Eagles Dare (Die With Your Boots On)
4. 2 Minutes To Midnight
5. The Clansman (Heaven Can Wait)
6. The Trooper
7. Revelations (Killers)
8. For The Greater Good Of God (Infinite Dreams)
9. The Wicker Man (Wasted Years)

1. Sign Of The Cross (Phantom of the Opera)
2. Flight Of Icarus
3. Fear Of The Dark
4. The Number Of The Beast
5. Iron Maiden (the last four songs are difficult to replace, either because of the production and/or their "classic" status)
6. The Evil That Men Do (Be Quick Or Be Dead)
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. Run To The Hills

That being said, I think they can't do better than playing the full setlist of "Ed Huntour" again, in terms of "fan service".

I agree. However, they could implement a rotation (if they wanted to bother...which seems to be hardly the case ;).

1. Churchill's Speech
2. Aces High (Can't be removed because of the production)
3. Where Eagles Dare (Die With Your Boots On)
4. 2 Minutes To Midnight
5. The Clansman (Heaven Can Wait)
6. The Trooper
7. Revelations (Killers)
8. For The Greater Good Of God (Infinite Dreams)
9. The Wicker Man (Wasted Years)

1. Sign Of The Cross (Phantom of the Opera)
2. Flight Of Icarus
3. Fear Of The Dark
4. The Number Of The Beast
5. Iron Maiden (the last four songs are difficult to replace, either because of the production and/or their "classic" status)
6. The Evil That Men Do (Be Quick Or Be Dead)
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. Run To The Hills

That being said, I think they can't do better than playing the full setlist of "Ed Huntour" again, in terms of "fan service".
If I saw any of the bolded songs in place of what was originally there, I would be pretty disappointed.

Re: the absence of SiT songs on the SBiT tour - I was similarly aggrieved about SiT getting 0 representation on the LOTB tour. Nicko even had the SiT Eddie on his kit! I felt like Wasted Years would have fit the retrospective theme quite well, bit it was played on the BoS tour, I guess.

TETMD being the only SSOASS song annoyed me a bit too.

This is kind of what I’m talking about. They never gave us any reason to think that there would be any SIT songs on the Legacy tour, but a lot of people got worked up about it and convinced themselves that something would happen. This is while Maiden were dropping some pretty big hints about songs they did play.

But the Somewhere Back in Time tour did hint more at the Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son. Considering how deep they went in the Early Days tour, it wasn’t unreasonable at all to expect a rarity from Somewhere in Time.

Back