The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

How good is The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
That. Was. Fantastic.

One of the best I've seen from him and that says a lot. Great arrangement and flawless execution.

What he got from the fridge there was well deserved.

Btw, regarding the song rating - I stand by my previous vote. Awesome guitar melodies in this song and enjoyable drumming. I agree with the sentiment that the lyrics aren't the greatest and the vocal performance is hindered by the Harris syndrome (too wordy lyrics, giving any singer a headache trying to sing it) but I don't feel like taking away more than one point for that. 9/10.

Last edited:
Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

The intro to this song is one of the best moments on the whole album. Just some fantastic guitar playing. The track kind of writes itself into a corner once it starts getting faster and I wish we’d returned back to the beautiful opening piece at some point. Still, what else is here is great. Some fire guitar lines and fun vocals. Strong track overall. 8/10

This used to be one of my favourites when I got into Maiden, more than 15 years ago. Still like the song, but not quite as much. It's almost too intense, like please, God, let me catch my breath.

7/10

There's not much to say, about this one. It's the best song on Somewhere In Time, one of the best songs of the 80's, one of the very best Maiden songs ever.

Bruce's vocals are fantastic. Nicko's drumming is insane. The melodies are stellar; special shout-out to the lead guitar in the latter half of the choruses (Adrian?). A true 10.

My absolute favourite song by Maiden! Used to listen to it a lot during my Post-graduation days. I couldn't clear the entrance of the University I desired to get into but anyway, luckily got admitted in another, back in my home state but a sense of dissatisfaction and loneliness still stayed in the early days. Those two years went so fast, got to learn a lot and I even cleared the Eligibility Exam for Assistant Professor at both State and National level. So this song has remained a bit personal to me.

Talking about the subject matter, it is based on a short story of the same name (which was also later adopted into a movie). Again the band went with a loosely based concept, not much rigid and open to listeners' own interpretation.
The lyrics, remind me a lot of the life of Indian sprinter Milkha Singh (on whom a movie has been made as well). He escaped the mutiny and violence during India's partition in 1947 (considered largest mass migration in human history, also formed the seperate nation of Pakistan) at a very small age, later joined the army where his talent was recognized and went on to win several medals in many international events including the Olympics.

1695046163359.jpeg

The instrumental section is amazing. It just keeps going on and on. Absolutely among my favorite tracks of the Somewhere In Time album, Top 30 Maiden songs overall.

The lyrics, remind me a lot of the life of Indian sprinter Milkha Singh

Punjab! The land of 5 rivers, when I saw that name I knew. Double checked with Wikipedia. Though he was a sprinter, long distance running is 5km and above.

In this video the Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner can be witnessed at 13:47 when the last pacer steps back and Cheptegei is alone for another 5km in agony to complete the impossible task of breaking the 15 years old WR of the GOAT of long distance running, Kenenisa Bekele.

Spoiler: He finally breaks it

In this video the Loneliness of a Long Distance Runner can be witnessed at 13:47 when the last pacer steps back and Cheptegei is alone for another 5km in agony to complete the impossible task of breaking the 15 years old WR of the GOAT of long distance running, Kenenisa Bekele.

Spoiler: He finally breaks it
Yes Sir!

Well, I did not mean in literal terms but if you see the movie based on him (titled 'Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' ) which is though not actually a documentary as such but I really liked it, you will see the last shot, when he crosses the finish line, he reminiscences his younger self running along as if everything has come full circle since the day he ran away from the violence and mutiny going on in his homeland.

Back