1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Discussion in 'Somewhere In Time' started by Shadow, Sep 26, 2003.

?

How good is The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

25.5%
  2. 9

31.4%
  3. 8

15.7%
  4. 7

15.7%
  5. 6

7.8%
  6. 5

2.0%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Well the topic is somewhat awkward for the Maiden song, but it's nicely implemented. The harmonies and the drumming are special, + the way that Bruce sings the "i've got to keep running..." part really captures the spirit of the track. Solos aren't among the best of the record.

Yet i've got to give it a 9. 8.75 to be exact. It's not on par with most of SiT material, but that material is pure fucking excellence, so...

2. Jeffmetal

Jeffmetal Ancient Mariner

This is my fave on the album. A showcase of melodies, hooks, solos and a wonderfully soulful chorus, with Bruce singing godly!!! Don't have much more to say, it's my life soundtrack!!! :edmetal:

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I totally agree. But I'll give it 10/10.

4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This is a good song. Every time I actually think about it I realize I don't listen to this one enough. I love guitar harmonies and they are everywhere on this song. 10/10

5. Vap

Vap Ancient Mariner

Ten. I seem to really like SIT. I have given first three song a ten, and Heaven Can Wait is the only song I don't like from the album. SIT is not my favorite album though, but goes close. Anyway, the song is awesome. Intro, verses, chorus... I love everything here!

6. Fugazi

Fugazi Alchemist

10/10, I never get tired of this song, it's easily in my top 10 of maiden tracks, beautiful guitar work, excellent vocal performance also.

7. wizard

wizard Invader

Underrated song has great melodies. 9/10.

8. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I have grown to like this more and more over time.  A 7

9. Albie

Albie Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.

7. There is elements in this that I like but it does drag a bit.

10. johnglen

johnglen Trooper

10. I posted my opinion on this in an earlier post.

11. Revelations85

Revelations85 Trooper

10/10. Killer solos make this a classic.

12. tuto

tuto Invader

This song is my favorite from SIT! Its really an amazing piece,the thing is that is very underrated.Oh by the way,that closing harmonized riff on the last 55 seconds of the song is just orgasmic!

AncientMariner86 likes this.
  13. Great Sage

Great Sage Invader

Fairly mediocre song with some good guitar work.

6/10.

14. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

The guitar is fabulous, especially the intro. Too bad the subject matter is boring and strange, the lyrics are terrible, and the vocals are simply crammed into the verses so quickly that they lose all melody.

15. TheSeventhSonRoberto

TheSeventhSonRoberto Rockin in Rio

10/10 this album has the most 10/10 songs from me. I will never stop saying this the fact this album and killers are the 2 ignored albums when it comes to their setlist hurts me to the core. I love number of the beast and seventh son album but Somewhere in time and killers are ignored only wratchild, heaven can wait& wasted years have a rotation on their setlist a travesty!

16. 10/10. The best song on this album. You're crazy if you don't like this song. Guitar work and vocals are all outstanding.

17. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

The ending is too much. They should have cut it in half, or had some variation in the second go-round of that big harmony guitar chunk. It's just too big to repeat unaltered.

18. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

It starts good, but the translation to the verse is awful to me. And Bruce doesn't sound good here at all according to me, he's to strained, just like the first track on the album. The melodies are nice and solos are good, but they are to smooth for my taste, a have a hard time finding the real feeling in them. It's still a okay track, but the worst until this point.

6/10

19. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

7/10. Very nice guitar work, but the lyrics don't capture my imagination, and the ending is twice as long as it needs to be.

20. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

I really dig that a brand new theme appears right at the ending, out of nowhere :D

7/10 for me also