The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner riff

DejaVu

Prowler
Hi,
I wonder who's the author of that awesome guitar riff (not bass one) you can hear in the The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Wiki says it's Steve Harris yet I kind of doubt because the riff itself is played by Dave Murray.

As far as I know it was written by Steve. He writes the majority of Maiden's songs. Dave Murray plays that riff, but it doesn't mean he's the one who wrote it.

No, it's played by Adrian Smith, and author is Steve Harris.

Zare said:
No, it's played by Adrian Smith, and author is Steve Harris.
How do you know it's Adrian? Have you see the live gig? (There are two guitarist in the band. Maybe they both play the intro guitar riff?)
The Stranger said:
Dave Murray plays that riff, but it doesn't mean he's the one who wrote it.
Zare says it was Adrian. 

No. It's H who plays the intro melody. You learn this basically by knowing he's on the right channel and after listening and understanding the band, you'll notice it's him by his tone and his soft and most 'ghost' vibrato.

Jeffmetal said:
No. It's H who plays the intro melody. You learn this basically by knowing he's on the right channel and after listening and understanding the band, you'll notice it's him by his tone and his soft and most 'ghost' vibrato.
The intro features guitar (not bass) so why do you think it was Harris? If suppose Harris plays the guitar in this song, then who the heck plays bass?
Whatever... Has anybody here seen the live show to tell for sure?

DejaVu said:
The intro features guitar (not bass) so why do you think it was Harris? If suppose Harris plays the guitar in this song, then who the heck plays bass?

'Round these lands, I think H refers to Adrian Smith. I haven't a clue why to be honest, but it's what I've picked up from other people.

DejaVu said:

Dude, H is Adrian's nickname. You surely are new to Maiden, ahn? :D

In typical East London accent saying the name Adrian would sound something like H'rian, thus the nickname "H".  B)

you do realise that writing a song doesn't mean playing every instrument you need to perform/record it, yeah?
Also, there's a difference between writing, arranging and personal interpretation... but I'm sure if Davey played it, he must have written it, right? Right? ...oh boyl!

Here I am... I've been gone for ages, just got excited about new Maiden in an hour, thought I'd pop in and what do I see? Let's say I know why I left in the first place

you know I have my favourite Canuck on my MSN list ;)

I just re-read my post there and thought "what a grumpy fucker"... I turned into -M-A-V-!!!! :blink:

why is "Ma.v" a banned word here?! Boy I missed a lot

That was me. It's a joke…when he ran off the first time, we started referring to him as the great evil that might come back. Now we do it to confuse the noobs.

Back