The length of time between NEW ORIGINAL albums.

'Brave New World' - 2000
'Dance Of Death'   - 2003
'A Matter of Life and Death'  - 2006
'The Final Frontier'  - 2010
'Maiden's next NEW ORIGINAL album' - 2015

To be blunt, this disappoints me.

Am I the only one who wants NEW Maiden?

It seems to me that everyone is as one in the "PLAY THE CLASSICS" mind-set.
Do only the 80's albums 'PIECE' , 'POWERSLAVE', 'BEAST', deserve recognition and placement of featured songs in the set-list?

Back when 'Powerslave' came out, we went to the show and it was "open-season", meaning, we didn't know what Maiden were going to play, and we sat on the edge of our seat waiting to see just what they would pull out of their magic hat and give to us super dedicated, die-hard fans. Maiden was thE best and only band, and all of us knew every song in their catalog.
So, whatever they chose to play, we would be both shocked with delight and excitedly ready to hear every note.

And here is a serious question that will no doubt be heavily attacked.
(PLEASE, just share thoughtful answers, and try not to flame anyone, thank you)

Do MAIDEN believe in new Maiden?
Are they "allowed" to play what they wish? Or are they slaves to the almighty dollar/pound?
Are they trapped in the thought, "We must play 'Fear', 'Hallowed', etc., or we will lose our audience."?

Today we have;
1. Wait 5 years for a new album. 4.5 years for the one prior.
2. Go to 2 retro / classic tour shows while desperately waiting for NEW, fresh material.
3. Read in magazines, internet, etc. about the 80's classic albums for 3 or 4 years, then one short season of NEW stuff.

It is not fair if us die-hards have to serve the fair-weather fans.
Meaning, the fair-weather fans, who are only around as long as 'Trooper' and 'Hills' are being played, should not take precedent over die-hard fans who find joy in all Maiden songs.
Fair-weather's spend their money on concert tickets and maybe a t-shirt.
Die-hards buy even the best-of collections. All dvd's, shirts, magazines, etc.
Do die-hards get put on the back-burner so that Maiden don't lose the fair-weather's.

Maybe Maiden know that the die-hards arn't going anywhere anyway, and so that frees Maiden up to do what's neccessary to keep the fair-weathers, and thus income and status???

I would just like to know if there is anyone, A-N-Y-O-N-E, out there that understands me and / or feels like I do.

Well I don't know, they play a decent share of 'NEW Maiden' at their shows. But I don't think a lot of fans would come to see a Maiden show if they weren't playing Hallowed or Fear, they're live staples. And I do somewhat agree about waiting 3 to 4 years for an album, but as a band grows and gets older it's gets harder and harder to produce fresh original content, so I think they might be sticking with the songs and gems they feel safe with. And yes there has been a tad too many 'greatest of' albums.

I must have missed something; I didn't know that anyone had released information about the upcoming album.

Also, there are plenty of fans that would go see Maiden no matter what they play.  And, don't forget the AMOLAD tour, which seemed to be quite successful playing a rare few 'classics'.

NavigatorsSon said:
'Maiden's next NEW ORIGINAL album' - 2015

To be blunt, this disappoints me.

Do they think, "We must play 'Fear', 'Hallowed', etc., or we will lose our audience.

1. We don't know when the next Maiden album comes out. We don't even know if it will. I do think that though.
2. That's exactly what they are thinking. We saw that in 2006 and 2010.

Shit, man... they toured AMOLAD playing the album in it's entirety. If that isn't "Maiden believing in new Maiden" I don't know what is. A lot of us here love the new stuff even more than the classic stuff. And I really don't think there is any fear in the band of losing their audience if they don't play the correct tunes on tour...

I wish the new albums were coming a little closer together too, but these guys are on the home stretch now career wise. They've earned the right to set their own timetable. Good things come to those who wait...

NavigatorsSon said:
Am I the only one who likes NEW Maiden?
It seems to me that everyone is together in the "PLAY THE CLASSICS" mind-set.

Not at all, BNW/DoD are up in my top3 (BNW is favourite, DoD is #3 I think... I'll have to check my list from the other thread!) and I find AMOLAD and TFF strong! But, you've gotta remember they're in their 50's now they've got families etc, they can't be tour/album/tour/album 24/7... well, except Bruce he never sleeps. Would you rather a long time between new albums or just NO new albums?

It's why I figure Priest are winding down, as much as Halford's voice isn't as consistent as it once was (not surprised given the strain its been under!) it's less to do with "go out with grace" than simply they have too much else going on in their life, at their age they will want to spend more time with their families, not to mention touring takes it's toll on you at ALL ages .. I mean why do you think so many artists become Drug addicts or Alcoholics? (Well, that and they can afford it). At 50+ touring must really take the wind out of you. With no touring schedule or 'wind down' period they can spend it with their families relaxing, and then if they come up with something they can send it to the others and eventually they'll have the material for an album. Rather than having a "okay 3months in the studio to write/record!" schedule they would normally have. It's much more relaxed for them, and also less forced so may produce some truly stunning work. Who knows, the time to next album may be shorter due to the lack of touring?

Do they think, "We must play 'Fear', 'Hallowed', etc., or we will lose our audience.

I don't think I've got it anymore, but I used to have a maiden special issue of Metal Hammer which (I think it was in there, certainly read it somewhere) Nicko said he refuses to play if they don't play Hallowed... I assume he was joking but he certainly enjoys it! As for "MUST play it", I think it's because they are trying to cater to new and old fans alike. For new fans, you want to be rolling out some of your strongest/well known material. Whenever I go to a gig I usually find I know 1-2 songs by whoever the support act is, and then I feel kinda stupid standing around like "This is good, I'm enjoying it.. but I can't join in". So people who are say, at a festival and thought "I'm here I may aswell go see Maiden" but who aren't fans (yet), if they hear something they've heard before they can join in and it gets them more 'into' the gig... it's why many bands play covers even though they have an established career. I certainly find the earlier in the set a well known/cover is played the more reactive the crowd is for the rest of the set because something has pulled them in.

2. I have to go to 2 retro / classic tour shows while waiting for new fresh material.

I'm glad of those tours, although I couldn't make it to SBiT (which sucks cos at the time my album order went BNW, SiT, Powerslave) but I've only been listening to music for about 8-9 years, I discovered maiden just after DoD was released.. so I've not had chance to see the majority of the old stuff live.

It is not fair that us die-hards have to serve the fair-weather fans.

The odd thing for me is I'm used to the "Die-hard" fans being the ones who want the old stuff played 24/7 :p

When AMOLAD came out, I really couldn't get into it at all.. it has grown on me over the years other than OOTS and Longest day (TFF is the same, It took a good 6 months for me to start to enjoy it), I'd already bought tickets to see them before I'd even heard the album and when I learnt they were doing it in its entirity I debated selling my ticket to a friend because I just thought "I don't like the album, and theres only a few songs being played I DO like.. it's probably not worth it". In the end I went, (although I missed 2 songs due to phoning my gf at the time as her mother got taken to hospital and she was distraught) and I enjoyed it a bit more and was glad to have seen them. It certainly made me appreciate the Legacy more, I would've still liked to have seen some more variety in there... especially as I also saw them on the 2nd leg of the tour.

Basically what I'm saying is, it surprised me, but I do like to see a variation. I can understand why bands often play the same setlist day after day though. Fans who buy multiple tickets will be frustrated to see the same gig 2+ times, but if I went to one gig and then learnt that they played some of my favourite songs at a different gig but not mine, I'd be kinda miffed.

If I'm able, and in the mood for it (Not had any gigs this year due to various circumstances and just not being able to stomach it) I will go see them no matter what really, as even songs you dislike you can see in a new light due to live experience. Bouncing around to a song is enjoyable, but not something you tend to do on your own at home. I do know someone who went to a Maiden gig to see if it piqued interest in any other songs, despite at the time ONLY liking Fear of the Dark out of every song he'd heard.

Dityn DJ James said:
Well I don't know, they play a decent share of 'NEW Maiden' at their shows. But I don't think a lot of fans would come to see a Maiden show if they weren't playing Hallowed or Fear, they're live staples. And I do somewhat agree about waiting 3 to 4 years for an album, but as a band grows and gets older it's gets harder and harder to produce fresh original content, so I think they might be sticking with the songs and gems they feel safe with. And yes there has been a tad too many 'greatest of' albums.

First, thanks for not blowing me out of the water.

Second, yes, this last tour was fantastic for 21st Century Maiden fans.

What you say is true for most bands, but, for me, Maiden have far more than what it takes, I mean, even Nick's song is a masterpiece. Awesome.
And with 6 excellent writers, they could very easily write a brand new album every year.

I get all of the "new" collections stuff for the art, photos and Rod's write-ups, but, that doesn't last too long, you know?
Wästed The Great said:
I must have missed something; I didn't know that anyone had released information about the upcoming album.

Also, there are plenty of fans that would go see Maiden no matter what they play.  And, don't forget the AMOLAD tour, which seemed to be quite successful playing a rare few 'classics'.

*** spoiler alert ***

*** spoiler alert ***

Since you asked if you have missed something,
Maybe you have missed their 'plan'?

They plan to do a year of promoting 'Made In England'
And then a year touring a retro 7th tour of a 7th tour.
Then there will be a year to celebrate the acoplishment of that tour with 'Flight 777' cd/dvd (or whatever they name it)
Then they will need a break and then finally write and record and then package the next new album.
So, we are looking at 2015.

I hope you are right about people supporting them no matter what they play.

'AMOLAD' was awesome for us who actually purchased (prebooked in my case) the new cd and actually knew the songs at the show, but there were people complaining on the way out to the cars, "Man, no 'Trooper'!". I was like, are you kidding? We just had the 'Early Days' tour, but the fair-weathers knew nothng of that.
I had to explain who Lauren was to people. No one was up-to-date.
Poto said:
1. We don't know when the next Maiden album comes out. We don't even know if it will. I do think that though.
2. That's exactly what they are thinking. We saw that in 2006 and 2010.

Well, I hate that you are correct!
I wish everyone still supported them so we could still be enjoying fresh new stuff all the time.

And I posted something about the next "plan" of theirs.
You have a point tho, we might not get another new one.

As far as their "plan", Bruce said that when they play a best-of show, they do "fantastic business", so they are going to play it safe as our other brother posted.

NavigatorsSon said:
'AMOLAD' was awesome for us who actually purchased (prebooked in my case) the new cd and actually knew the songs at the show, but there were people complaining on the way out to the cars, "Man, no 'Trooper'!". I was like, are you kidding? We just had the 'Early Days' tour, but the fair-weathers knew nothng of that.
I had to explain who Lauren was to people. No one was up-to-date.

Hehe, that made me chuckle. Me and my friend had listened to AMOLAD a lot by the time the gig came, and we still rolled into the car park with Number of the beast (album not track, I think it was CotD when we arrived :p) blaring out rather than listening to AMOLAD itself. Certainly no complaints at lack of certain songs though, because we were glad to have a larger selection of songs covered between multiple gigs.

As for Lauren.. our main comment was "I wonder what Steve thinks of her going on dressed like that each night" "Oh well, he used to wear tighter trousers..."

Crimson Idol said:
Not at all, BNW/DoD are up in my top3 (BNW is favourite, DoD is #3 I think... I'll have to check my list from the other thread!) and I find AMOLAD and TFF strong! But, you've gotta remember they're in their 50's now they've got families etc, they can't be tour/album/tour/album 24/7... well, except Bruce he never sleeps. Would you rather a long time between new albums or just NO new albums?

It's why I figure Priest are winding down, as much as Halford's voice isn't as consistent as it once was (not surprised given the strain its been under!) it's less to do with "go out with grace" than simply they have too much else going on in their life, at their age they will want to spend more time with their families, not to mention touring takes it's toll on you at ALL ages .. I mean why do you think so many artists become Drug addicts or Alcoholics? (Well, that and they can afford it). At 50+ touring must really take the wind out of you. With no touring schedule or 'wind down' period they can spend it with their families relaxing, and then if they come up with something they can send it to the others and eventually they'll have the material for an album. Rather than having a "okay 3months in the studio to write/record!" schedule they would normally have. It's much more relaxed for them, and also less forced so may produce some truly stunning work. Who knows, the time to next album may be shorter due to the lack of touring?

I don't think I've got it anymore, but I used to have a maiden special issue of Metal Hammer which (I think it was in there, certainly read it somewhere) Nicko said he refuses to play if they don't play Hallowed... I assume he was joking but he certainly enjoys it! As for "MUST play it", I think it's because they are trying to cater to new and old fans alike. For new fans, you want to be rolling out some of your strongest/well known material. Whenever I go to a gig I usually find I know 1-2 songs by whoever the support act is, and then I feel kinda stupid standing around like "This is good, I'm enjoying it.. but I can't join in". So people who are say, at a festival and thought "I'm here I may aswell go see Maiden" but who aren't fans (yet), if they hear something they've heard before they can join in and it gets them more 'into' the gig... it's why many bands play covers even though they have an established career. I certainly find the earlier in the set a well known/cover is played the more reactive the crowd is for the rest of the set because something has pulled them in.

I'm glad of those tours, although I couldn't make it to SBiT (which sucks cos at the time my album order went BNW, SiT, Powerslave) but I've only been listening to music for about 8-9 years, I discovered maiden just after DoD was released.. so I've not had chance to see the majority of the old stuff live.

The odd thing for me is I'm used to the "Die-hard" fans being the ones who want the old stuff played 24/7 :p

When AMOLAD came out, I really couldn't get into it at all.. it has grown on me over the years other than OOTS and Longest day (TFF is the same, It took a good 6 months for me to start to enjoy it), I'd already bought tickets to see them before I'd even heard the album and when I learnt they were doing it in its entirity I debated selling my ticket to a friend because I just thought "I don't like the album, and theres only a few songs being played I DO like.. it's probably not worth it". In the end I went, (although I missed 2 songs due to phoning my gf at the time as her mother got taken to hospital and she was distraught) and I enjoyed it a bit more and was glad to have seen them. It certainly made me appreciate the Legacy more, I would've still liked to have seen some more variety in there... especially as I also saw them on the 2nd leg of the tour.

Basically what I'm saying is, it surprised me, but I do like to see a variation. I can understand why bands often play the same setlist day after day though. Fans who buy multiple tickets will be frustrated to see the same gig 2+ times, but if I went to one gig and then learnt that they played some of my favourite songs at a different gig but not mine, I'd be kinda miffed.

If I'm able, and in the mood for it (Not had any gigs this year due to various circumstances and just not being able to stomach it) I will go see them no matter what really, as even songs you dislike you can see in a new light due to live experience. Bouncing around to a song is enjoyable, but not something you tend to do on your own at home. I do know someone who went to a Maiden gig to see if it piqued interest in any other songs, despite at the time ONLY liking Fear of the Dark out of every song he'd heard.

This has to be the best reply I've ever received on any of the message boards. :okok:
Thank You!

You actually calmed me way down and I have a way better outlook on the whole sitch now.

Sorry that you missed 'SBIT' - it was truly fantastic. They were so awesome. (Saw them in Camden / Philly) What a set list. I had to buy the live cd and dvd too.
Incredible. (my 1st show e-v-e-r was 'World Slavery' so, I've been around a while) I was also at Eggfest in San Bernardino and only enjoyed the intro to 'murders' -- spent the rest of the night worried that the boys especially Bruce, were going to slip on the slippery stage covered in egg snot. I was so pissed at Sharon. Anyway, it was actually good to see a 'classic' tour after missing out on 'Early Days', the sound kept being shut off on us as well. And then 'Amolad' being all 10 new songs - awesome. Even tho, for us in Philly, 'Tank Eddie' didn't operate.

ok, well, I've gone and said too much, but thank you mate.

Is there anything to verify the 'plan' that you stated?  Links or articles or something?  I'd love to read about that.

Crimson Idol said:
Hehe, that made me chuckle. Me and my friend had listened to AMOLAD a lot by the time the gig came, and we still rolled into the car park with Number of the beast (album not track, I think it was CotD when we arrived :p) blaring out rather than listening to AMOLAD itself. Certainly no complaints at lack of certain songs though, because we were glad to have a larger selection of songs covered between multiple gigs.

As for Lauren.. our main comment was "I wonder what Steve thinks of her going on dressed like that each night" "Oh well, he used to wear tighter trousers..."

Lauren. I love, love, love, LOVE Bruce, so I think nothing of it when he spews out f--- this and f--- that.
But, I lost all respect for Lauren when she was up there f-bombing the crap out of us.

I liked how they did a 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 encore at the amolad show. (Maiden, Hollowed, Midnight, Evil, Fear) altho, I didn't pay much attention to those songs as I've heard them more than any one man should -- my bad, I know.  :bigsmile:
But that was a nice even spread across the catalog.

NavigatorsSon said:
This has to be the best reply I've ever received on any of the message boards. :okok:
Thank You!

You actually calmed me way down and I have a way better outlook on the whole sitch now.

Sorry that you missed 'SBIT' - it was truly fantastic. They were so awesome. (Saw them in Camden / Philly) What a set list. I had to buy the live cd and dvd too.
Incredible. (my 1st show e-v-e-r was 'World Slavery' so, I've been around a while) I was also at Eggfest in San Bernardino and only enjoyed the intro to 'murders' -- spent the rest of the night worried that the boys especially Bruce, were going to slip on the slippery stage covered in egg snot. I was so pissed at Sharon. Anyway, it was actually good to see a 'classic' tour after missing out on 'Early Days', the sound kept being shut off on us as well. And then 'Amolad' being all 10 new songs - awesome. Even tho, for us in Philly, 'Tank Eddie' didn't operate.

ok, well, I've gone and said too much, but thank you mate.

No problem :) Maybe it'll counter my -1 user rating :)() haha. (Awaits a -2 just for the hell of it :p)

Eggfest, that really was ridiculous. Even people I know who aren't music fans (let alone metalheads) who heard the story thought it was unbelievable. Fair enough, Bruce can get rather over the top at times and really it's not needed (iirc theres snippets removed from RiR too?), by which I mean it serves no purpose at all. He wasn't insulting Ozzy himself if I recall, it was reality TV in general... now I don't like the stuff myself but going to see a gig I like to see the songs, banter is good but ranting is a bit off, still I digress... he wasn't directing insults at anyone. Even if he was there were thousands of people who had paid for a ticket to see Iron Maiden, in many cases I'm sure they were there ONLY to see Maiden and the other bands were simply considered a bonus, and Sharon Osbourne screwed them all over. It was one of the most unprofessional things I have heard of. On top of that, Maiden had repeatedly bailed them out on that tour by playing a longer set than intended because Ozzy wasn't going on. So any fans that paid to see Ozzy were often NOT getting the band they had wanted, and then to make it worse the "replacement band" was sabotaged on that particular occasion... to the casual observer it comes across as "How dare you show up my husband" when Ozzy was letting the fans down ALREADY.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Ozzy was in the wrong not taking the stage when he would risk hurting his voice (although as much as I like some of his material.. he's not the most melodic of vocalists to begin with), but to someone who didn't know the whole story that entire affair comes across with an extremely bad light for Sharon Osbourne, the only person she hurt with it was herself, and the people who paid to go - and I imagine will subsequently not be paying to go again.

RE: Lauren/Bruce swearing. When I first started listening to metal my family (who are fairly ignorant of it, particularly my sisters) just viewed it as "swearing, screaming about death in a manner you cant understand, making stupid noise"... I have tried to prove over the years that the majority of bands are quite melodic in terms of vocals, very talented musically, that the majority is about completely random things not death (and even so its better than pop musics "EVERYTHING IS SO AMAZING I LOVE YOU" or rap/hiphops usual rather more vulgar/sleazy subject matter). But I must admit when I first put RiR in I was used to the fact that almost all metal I listened to was completely 'potty mouth' free, so I was very suprised to see F*** constantly from Bruce. I am thankful that he keeps it off the albums though.

You think you've said enough? I think I need to learn how to articulate sentences better so they don't take half a page to say one thing... like this one is approaching.

Wästed The Great said:
Is there anything to verify the 'plan' that you stated?  Links or articles or something?  I'd love to read about that.

Well, nothing is "official" other than Steve saying that 'Maiden England' is "probably" the next thing.
But, reading in the official fan club magazine and interviews, they have their plan years in advance and well-oiled.

They don't want to "give too much away" as far as plans so as to make it as special as possible.
But, for those of us who read / watch everything that they do, they give enough scraps under the table to keep us going.

They are on a schedule.

'Dance Of Death' - album, tour
'Early Days' - tour and dvd 'History of Maiden part 1'
'Amolad' - album, tour
'Live After Death' / 'Somewhere Back In time' - tour and dvd 'History of Maiden part 2'
'The Final Frontier' album, tour
...'Maiden England' - tour and dvd 'History of Maiden part 3...etc.
Crimson Idol said:
No problem :) Maybe it'll counter my -1 user rating :)() haha. (Awaits a -2 just for the hell of it :p)

Eggfest, that really was ridiculous. Even people I know who aren't music fans (let alone metalheads) who heard the story thought it was unbelievable. Fair enough, Bruce can get rather over the top at times and really it's not needed (iirc theres snippets removed from RiR too?), by which I mean it serves no purpose at all. He wasn't insulting Ozzy himself if I recall, it was reality TV in general... now I don't like the stuff myself but going to see a gig I like to see the songs, banter is good but ranting is a bit off, still I digress... he wasn't directing insults at anyone. Even if he was there were thousands of people who had paid for a ticket to see Iron Maiden, in many cases I'm sure they were there ONLY to see Maiden and the other bands were simply considered a bonus, and Sharon Osbourne screwed them all over. It was one of the most unprofessional things I have heard of. On top of that, Maiden had repeatedly bailed them out on that tour by playing a longer set than intended because Ozzy wasn't going on. So any fans that paid to see Ozzy were often NOT getting the band they had wanted, and then to make it worse the "replacement band" was sabotaged on that particular occasion... to the casual observer it comes across as "How dare you show up my husband" when Ozzy was letting the fans down ALREADY.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Ozzy was in the wrong not taking the stage when he would risk hurting his voice (although as much as I like some of his material.. he's not the most melodic of vocalists to begin with), but to someone who didn't know the whole story that entire affair comes across with an extremely bad light for Sharon Osbourne, the only person she hurt with it was herself, and the people who paid to go - and I imagine will subsequently not be paying to go again.

RE: Lauren/Bruce swearing. When I first started listening to metal my family (who are fairly ignorant of it, particularly my sisters) just viewed it as "swearing, screaming about death in a manner you cant understand, making stupid noise"... I have tried to prove over the years that the majority of bands are quite melodic in terms of vocals, very talented musically, that the majority is about completely random things not death (and even so its better than pop musics "EVERYTHING IS SO AMAZING I LOVE YOU" or rap/hiphops usual rather more vulgar/sleazy subject matter). But I must admit when I first put RiR in I was used to the fact that almost all metal I listened to was completely 'potty mouth' free, so I was very suprised to see F*** constantly from Bruce. I am thankful that he keeps it off the albums though.

You think you've said enough? I think I need to learn how to articulate sentences better so they don't take half a page to say one thing... like this one is approaching.

hahahaha that's great. I loved reading all of that.

Yeah, you should have seen the place empty out after Sharon made her little confession that she was behind it all! They boo-ed her so loud as one person she almost fell over, then she tried to turn it around by praising Maiden as a whole. I get Bruce. He was trying to identify with people of today. He knows reality tv was huge at the moment and so tried to be in-the-now. Relating to his fans. I know that he meant no disrespect to Ozzy, but, in Sharon's mind, the world revolves around her, so she took it personally because 'The Osbournes' were one of the biggest things in reality tv. I can see it both ways, but, Bruce meant no harm by it at all.
Ruined an awesome show too. You should have seen Bruce come running out. He was flying in the air for eternity and I just thought, "Oh my God, this is going to be the best Maiden show ever!". I ended up calling my sister the next day and I just burst out crying. Yeah, a 30 something year old man, crying his eyes out because he watched his hero's be attacked by terrorists. CRAP! But, I think that they wrote 'These Colours Don't Run' as a result of that, because Bruce came out after some fat slob was running around stage waving an american flag during 'The Trooper', and said "This is an English f-ing flag and these colors do not run..." Yeah, they held Eddie back from making his appearance. It totally sucked. Some jerk threw a huge cup of beer on Bruce and his Trooper jacket got drenched. I was like,  :bigsurprise: Janick at one point had had enough and just spun his guitar around his neck and marched back to his little "door" to the back stage, and you could see him giving instructions to put an end to this rediculousness. He then tuned back to his spot, flipped his guitar back in place and jumped in like he didn't miss a beat.

I've got a bootleg of the gig but haven't listened to it in years (Bootlegs and me are very much 1 time things unless of outstanding quality to rival official releases, mostly I get them for particular songs that aren't released live anywhere), so nice to know all the little in's and out's of what went on.

Sharon Osbourne was, in my opinion (before that day) a good business woman... she managed to take Ozzy Osbourne - imho the weakest part of Sabbath - and through decent promotion (well, I imagine his already fair fame helped :p) get him to the point of being a bigger act than the band he had just departed from, to the point where Sabbath were supporting Ozzy. But she utterly threw it all away on that night by showing what a complete and utter idiot she is. Rule number #1 if you want to be a success, don't screw over the people who are paying your pocket. She's only gone downhill since then, I'm glad I haven't watched an actual TV in about 7 years so I don't have to see her all over it (not that I'd watch X factor anyway).

A good management can have as much impact on a band as the band themselves, someone could have average material but be promoted so well that they get decent fame and hopefully, the extra money and motivation will help them improve. But bad management can screw over a band bad enough that they could have the best album in the world but with no promotion no one will ever hear it.

Now, random trivia/things I've read over the years. An interview with Ozzy I once read years and years ago, he said that he was out on tour once, picked up the phone, and told Sharon he wanted a divorce. Her response was not pretty, and basically just said "Like F***" and that sort of condesending get back to work type tone. In the same interview he also said something about at one stage in his life actually believing he was possessed by the devil (^^) and came downstairs in their house, went up to Sharon and said "We've decided, you have to die" and then lunged at her and tried to strangle her. It makes me wonder, as much as they have been married a long time, were his out of place actions a result of his drugs/alcohol, or just those moments where the camels back breaks and he's had enough. Either way, she's a control freak and it wouldn't surprise me if he actually wanted to get divorced years ago and she threatened to ruin his career or something.... the more I hear about her the less far fetched that sounds ;)

I believe its also "The Decline of Western Civilization II" (yup, just checked) that has an interview with Ozzy. It's been a long time since I've seen the documentary and I can't remember quite how much of a documentary it was and quite how much it was meant to harass the genre PRMC style, but going on about Drugs/Alcohol etc they show Ozzy completely messed up unable to pour a drink etc. Wiki quote:
"As Ozzy Osbourne cooks eggs in a kitchen he spills orange juice all over the table, apparently due to uncontrollable shakes. This was later claimed to have been faked. Spheeris also interviews him about sobriety, to which Ozzy replies, "It fucking sucks.""

Whether the documentary was serious, attacking metal, or even if it was a spoof... deliberately making yourself out to be like that really doesn't lend credibility to you, it just supports the belief that you are all about image and nothing more. No dignity at all, and will do anything you are asked/paid.

That's my opinion anyway, I do like a reasonable amount of Ozzy's material, mostly the earlier stuff (Scream was really not that great.. Black Rain was better imho), and I saw him live with Sabbath back in 05 at Donnington park.... but he really doesn't do himself any favors, and Sharon is even worse. A single act from her has turned pretty much alienated her from every metal fan bar those who already hated Maiden.

Okay, I really need to stop essays... but I've not reached Loosecannon standards yet I guess, although his are usually long due to fact's ;)

Sharon was awesome in my eyes before that night. When she came out at the end of the show, I was thinking, "Awesome, she is going to destroy these jerks who have been terrorizing my boys - and us fans". Then, when she said the opposite, I was like  :bigsurprise:

I had purchased a few Ozzy items as Christmas gifts that year and ended up returning them all.

I went to a band convention in 1990 called 'Foundations Forum' in LA.
Sharon and Ozzy were there. She did all the talking at a clinic we went to in one of the ballrooms. Very smart about the business.
Oz was on the escalator right behind me (I left him alone because, you just know he can't move in public - our eyes met and I just couldn't bother the guy) But he was absolutely normal.
It's all an act.
I met and talked to Tommy Aldridge who used to drum for Ozzy, and he said that they are drinking milk in the dressing room and that the whiskey that is guzzled on stage is ice-tea.

If you watch Ozzy doing his "act", he can barely walk nor can he talk, but at the show he is leap-frogging across the stage and throwing 5-gallon buckets of water on the crowd. Amazing that people buy into it all.
IT IS ALL A SHOW. He is as normal as you and me.

Wästed The Great said:
Is there anything to verify the 'plan' that you stated?  Links or articles or something?  I'd love to read about that.

None. I am a fanclub member myself and nothing has been stated about a plan, schedule or release.
If things have been said, it was vague and indicated nothing in time.

However, I agree with the topic opener that 2015 would be late. I hope 2014 or even 2013.

Comparisons to the Maiden of the 80's are pointless. This is a very different band now and frankly I think they are better. That Maiden are still together at this point of their lives is fantastic. That they are still one of the biggest bands in the world is astounding. There is just so much to celebrate about Iron Maiden and thankfully, the band are willing to indulge us with classic tours. Now, while I'd prefer to hear new songs and see new tours, I fully understand the need to try to please all fans of all eras of Iron Maiden.

The fact is, we are getting top new albums, top new tours and thoroughly enjoyable classic tours. There really isn't anything more the band can do for the fans and if there was, they would be doing it.

Finally, Maiden work so hard on tour that they do need time to re-charge the batteries. IF we get a new album, it will most likely be their last and if we have to wait a bit longer than usual for it, so be it.

Maiden til I die!!!

snake plissken said:
Comparisons to the Maiden of the 80's are pointless. This is a very different band now and frankly I think they are better. That Maiden are still together at this point of their lives is fantastic. That they are still one of the biggest bands in the world is astounding. There is just so much to celebrate about Iron Maiden and thankfully, the band are willing to indulge us with classic tours. Now, while I'd prefer to hear new songs and see new tours, I fully understand the need to try to please all fans of all eras of Iron Maiden.

The fact is, we are getting top new albums, top new tours and thoroughly enjoyable classic tours. There really isn't anything more the band can do for the fans and if there was, they would be doing it.

Finally, Maiden work so hard on tour that they do need time to re-charge the batteries. IF we get a new album, it will most likely be their last and if we have to wait a bit longer than usual for it, so be it.

Maiden til I die!!!

Nice post mate.
:ok:

Back