The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 70-75

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• The Who - My Generation

• Vintersorg - Vidmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor

• Dark Moor - Maid of Orleans (Hall of Olden Dreams version)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
This first matchup has me feeling terribly meh all over, but a slight edge to STP.

Prince Kajuku may be one of the most overmatched songs in this tournament, and it loses here easily for me.

I gotta go with Zep.

The massive, ultimate, incredible Bolt Thrower. Sorry Dan.

Alter Bridge in a walk, absolutely.

And yes, Kreator is not a band I love, and Death is a band I like more and more, you know?

STP, member, member, the uglier stuff obviously, member again, Death of course.
Didn't want to vote against Per's nomination on his birthday so doing it now.

I dunno what is happening back in Stone Temple Pilot's saddle. Probably some sex type thing. Stratovarius and Father Time have come for Prince Kajuku. It's no secret that Led Zep is the loser to Ozzy, but only by one vote. Bolt Thrower adds reality to Dan Swanö's existence by handing him a terrifying loss. Breaking Benjamin gets the punishment they deserve for their crimes against Benjamins as they are destroyed by Alter Bridge. And finally Death scavenges a win over Kreator, drowning the German thrash stalwarts in human sorrow.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 64-69 (nice)

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 64​
Alexander the Great Division​
Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
vs.
Kamelot - Wander​
@Perun
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -15
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 65​
Run to the Hills Division​
Meshuggah - Bleed
vs.
Queensrÿche - Walk in the Shadows​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Rolling Stone 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -20
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 66​
If Eternity Should Fail Division​
Mercyful Fate - Curse of the Pharaohs
vs.
Saxon - Power and the Glory​
@Diesel 11
Nominators
Popoff 500​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +12
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 67​
Virtual XI Division​
King Diamond - Eye of the Witch
vs.
Def Leppard - Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)​
@Magnus
Nominators
@Jer
1-0-0, 2 pts, +5
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 68​
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son Division​
Night Stalker - Children of the Sun
vs.
Nightwish - Storytime​
@____no5
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -10
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 69 (nice)​
Sanctuary Division​
Septicflesh - Dark Art
vs.
Sonata Arctica - FullMoon​
@Night Prowler
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6
Record
0-0-0, 0 pts, +0​
Links

Last edited:
Unless you were Caught By A Mosh, no idea.

It's Caught IN a Mosh, get your Anthrax references straight, for crying out loud! :ninja:

------

94yhzh.jpg

As I've probably already said, Wander is one of the songs I put in on my wife's recommendation, as it is a rare case of a ballad (metal or otherwise) which she immediately loved - usually, she strays from the more sentimental and cheesier stuff (really, there was a time I could more safely play Moonsorrow to her than Nightwish). But honestly, I did so too, immediately when I first heard the album and I'm still not the least bit ashamed I nominated the song in this cup. Simple, but efficient, it's simply wanderful. I don't hold any bad feelings towards Per's nomination, but it doesn't really feel special to me. Like a little, unassuming ballad off Kamelot's best (or second best?) album does.

-----

Meshuggah and Rÿche are surprisingly similar bands to me, in the sense that both are ultimately a "miss" for me - I understand their appeal, can respect a lot of the stuff they do, but there's something lacking. Rÿche have a mostly very good O:M whereas Meshuggah are possibly more consistent throughout their career, but don't have such chef-d'œuvre in their discography. Still, when in doubt I look at the rhythm section, which is more interesting in the case of Meshuggah, like it or not. Also, that Rÿche song is just... very run of the mill. It has the sound of 80s metal, but it doesn't really even have the catchiness of your average glam band, on my second listen, the chorus isn't really that underbaked as it seemed, but still, I see no reason why I should be interested in this band (based on this song alone, that is). Like I've just said, I'm not interested in Meshuggah either, but still more, I guess. Though I'd appreciate less shoutiness (which might sound weird from someone generally very open towards extreme subgenres of metal, but I suppose you know what I mean).

------

Heh, talking about "weird artistic choices" vs. "generic music" ... I still don't like King Diamond's vocals (although he's mostly tolerable here), but I very often like his music, whereas Saxon might be the single most superfluous band on the face of the Earth and I'm always reminded how much far from your generic NWOBHM band Maiden are and always were, ever since the very beginning. You can't imagine Saxon creating something like Phantom of the Opera. Not even Transylvania, actually.
This song, much like any other by them, does absolutely nothing for me. I suppose it might make a decent background listening when you're in the pub and you don't even hear the jukebox properly over the noise of the crowd, you know, as the ambiencest of ambiences. Kinda like Eno's Music for Airports? Mercyful Fate, no contest.

-------

The vocals on this solo track are much rougher and The Eye isn't on the level of Abigail, Them, Portrait or even The Puppet Master or Abigail II. Which results in this match being the more potentially musically interesting, but also kinda more boring Diamond track versus the simpler and much less respectable Def Leppard offering... which is nonetheless much catchier and I can definitely vibe with in, in that cheesy, kinda tongue-in-cheek, but fun kind of way. I suppose my heart tells me to vote for Leppard here, as my brain isn't engaged enough. Sorry, Maggie, but you voted against my nomination as well.

-------

Mates, I'd really love to vote for the Night Stalker song, I really like it a lot. But Nightwish are fucking Nightwish And no, I don't mean Anette sleeping with Tarja, though I'd probably watch that too. And go to confession later. :ninja:
No, seriously, I can't vote against my top 5 band. I won't (unless we're going to get some Floor-era songs and I don't think we will by now).

-------

Lol. FullMoon I actually thought about nominating myself. (though went with the Cage instead in the end) Septicflesh... I didn't.

I actually came across this very meme on this forum, some time ago (7 years? 10?)

23658527_10210742568543105_1447027509892582043_n (1).jpg

I mean, it really sounds like
"She should not lock the open door
(RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY)"

the chorus is made of these hyperactive puppies that keep running into the boles of the trees, tripping over their still slightly too big paws.

And, as is one of my mottos, it seems, "you say it like it's a bad thing".

But what I really like is that little thing, that one, tiny, teeny little touch, with how Tony shifts the vocal melody to connect the first and the second part of the second verse - "We gotta make the love compLETE tonight" - it's such a small fucking thing, but it's just so cute and playful.

FullMoon, no contest.

Kamelot pretty easily.

I love “Walk in the Shadows”, one of my favorite Queensrÿche songs, so I won’t be cut up if it wins. That said, “Bleed” fucks. I may slowly be becoming a Meshuggah fan lately.

Saxon has one good song and the rest are boring as fuck. Mercyful Fate, no contest.

Well, I hate to let the KD fanclub down but I just don’t really care about “Eye of the Witch”. Def Leppard meanwhile have a banger of a chorus.

Nightwish.

Septicflesh.

FullMoon is the score to a video I love: a montage of combos from the Fist of the North Star fighting game. The video's intro is all drama, with fitting cuts and transitions between scenes. It takes itself completely seriously, which turns its inherent cheesiness into something I love.

(speaking as a combo video appreciator, there's also a really good musical sync at 2:52)

Last edited:
Kamelot's Wander, without a doubt for me. Such a beautiful ballad and chorus!
Walk In The Shadows. I mean, effective Queensryche.
The music of MF's Curse Of The Pharaohs is quality, but Saxon's Power And The Glory has better vocals. Effective song, no more, no less.
KD's Eye Of The Witch is one of his best songs, but Def Leppard's Mirror Mirror (Look Into My Eyes) is such a gem. That chorus and harmonies! Classic melodic metal.
Storytime, no contest. One of the best symphonic metal songs of all time imo.
Sonata Arctica's FullMoon, no contest again. That's how you made a memorable chorus.

I wander who is gonna win. Kamelot. Queensrÿche makes their opponent bleed. Saxon's power and glory cannot overcome being cursed by a pharaoh and Mercyful Fate. Def Leppard can look into the eyes of a witch. Nightwish tells Night Stalker a bedtime story. And finally, werewolves beat, uh, evil wizards, maybe? Sonata Arctica.

Part II, Round 4, Matches 70-75

Group Stage - Round 4
Match 70​
Somewhere in Time Division​
Theatre of Tragedy - Lorelei
vs.
Beastie Boys - Sabotage​
@MindRuler
Nominators
Radio EHS 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -9
Record