The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 4, Matches 10-15

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Night falls on Aerosmith's dream as they lose to Blind Guardian. At the same time the black wizards are subject to  Opeth's ghost of perdition, which sounds terrible. The iron fist of Motörhead smacks down Count Raven. It's true what they say, that Black Sabbath's song "Iron Man" has been one of the metal greats forever.  Metallica has put Linkin Park somewhere they belong - by fading them to black, if you know what I mean. And finally, the princess of the dawn had another thing coming as Accept falls to Judas Priest.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 91-96

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 91​
Aces High Division​
Heart - Barracuda
vs.
Carcass - Heartwork​
Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
0-0-1, 1 pts, +0
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +4​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 92​
Flight 666 Division​
Megadeth - Devils Island
vs.
Danzig - Mother​
Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +6
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 93​
Die With Your Boots On Division​
Twisted Sister - Under the Blade
vs.
Metallica - The Four Horsemen​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
@Kalata, @Poto
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +14​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 94​
Paul Cairns Division​
Borknagar - The Rhymes of the Mountain
vs.
Megadeth - Holy Wars.. The Punishment Due​
@JudasMyGuide
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100
@Spambot, @MrKnickerbocker
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 0 pts, +12​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 95​
Derek Riggs Division​
Death - Flesh and the Power it Holds
vs.
Black Sabbath - Children of the Sea​
@Confeos
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +12​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 96​
The Legacy Division​
Melvins - Night Goat
vs.
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
0-1-0, 0 pts, -16
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +8​
7Links

“Barracuda” is awesome but I’m begging you people to vote for the metal song.

Also “Flesh and the Power It Holds” will be crushed and undeservedly so, that song is awesome and the progheads here should give it some credit.

Incredibly easy votes for Devil's Island, Four Horsemen, Holy Wars, Children of the Sea and Ghost Love Score.

“Barracuda” is awesome but I’m begging you people to vote for the metal song.
Barracuda IS awesome, but I'm happy to vote for the cool guitar work in that Carcass track.
Also “Flesh and the Power It Holds” will be crushed and undeservedly so, that song is awesome and the progheads here should give it some credit.
Despite their amazing riffing, no song with Chuck "singing" deserves to beat the mighty Children of the Sea.

Heart is cool, and I wish Ann Wilson all the best, but Heartwork.
Deth.
Got a soft spot for the TS song, sounds almost JP. Metallica's is great and will obviously win though.
Borknagar of course. Deth's is great and will obviously win though.
Death of course.
The band that's not Nightpish.

Strong Mustaine presence this round.

Last edited:
Heart, 'cause I'm a boomer inside.
Deth, that Danzig song is overplayed. (I have posted that mashup with Steely Dan, haven't I?)
Metallica, because I really don't like Twisted Sister
Borknagar, and not even because it's my nomination
Sabbath
Nightwish

"Barracuda" vs. "Heartwork": The Heart track is consistently great, while the Carcass song is a very mixed bag. No real contest here. Winner: Heart - "Barracuda"

"Devils Island" vs. "Mother": The Megadeth track is very good, while the Danzig track is merely good. Another easy decision. Winner: Megadeth - "Devils Island"

"Under The Blade" vs. "The Four Horsemen": The Twisted Sister track sucks, aside from some OK riffs and lead work, while the Metallica track is generally fine, if uneven. A straightforward call for Kapolata's nominee. Winner: Metallica - "The Four Horsemen"

"The Rhymes Of The Mountain" vs. "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due": The Borknagar track has its positives, but the cackly vocals and PCP-driven drumming inevitably drag it down, while the Megadeth track is an excellent all-time classic. Sorry, @JudasMyGuide, but MrSpankerbottom's nominee takes this one in a walk. Winner: Megadeth - "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due"

"Flesh And The Power It Holds" vs. "Children Of The Sea": The Death track is mostly great musically, but suffers from bad vocals and excessive run time, while the Sabbath track is generally just pretty good, but with some great parts. This one's pretty close, but sorry MrKlassitalker, I'll toss the presumed underdog a bone and go with @Confeos's nominee here. Winner: Death - "Flesh And The Power It Holds"

"Night Goat" vs. "Ghost Love Score": The Melvins track sucks, while the Nightwish track does not. An easy call for MrKonfotopissicocker's nominee. Winner: Nightwish - "Ghost Love Score"

Heart, because I'm not a big fan of death metal, except of some bands as Arch Enemy or In Flames. I'm not a big fan of Heart either, but at least they do a music that is listenable.

Megadeth, because it's one of bands I really like in thrash metal. Less than Metallica, of course, but still enough to listen to it regularly. And because the song is artistically better than Danzig's one.

Metallica, because Twisted Sister is a clownish band that is more a joke than a serious band. Added to the fact that "The Four Horsemen" is a killer song. So, that's why I chose Metallica.

Megadeth, once again. Not only because I don't like black metal at all as it's noise, but also because this killer song is from my favorite album by Megadeth.

Black Sabbath, because Dio is one of the best singers of all times, but also because 'Heaven And Hell' is also my favorite record by the English band from Birmingham. I really love the calm sung introduction that then goes suddenly into a blast of mid-tempo heavy metal. That's a pure jewel and a very legendary song. Death was a death-metal band and that's why I didn't chose this one. So, Black Sabbath gets my vote this time.

Nightwish, by a mile. 'Once' is my favorite album from the finnish band. All is perfect on it. From the orchestrations, to the performance, until the production and the whole atmosphere. And the most perfect thing on it is the presence of Tarja, THE Nightwish singer. And "Ghost Love Score" is probably the best track of the scandinavians they ever wrote. It's a beautiful story encompassed in a magnificent packaging. So, no Melvins for me.

Last edited:
Heart's Barracuda (because of the style)
Megadeth (by default)
The Four Horsemen (no contest; probably a Top 10 song of Metallica)
Megadeth's Holy Wars (one of their best songs, every part feels in place)
Children Of The Sea (one of the all-time best slow metal songs)
Ghost Love Score (no contest; epic vibe, classic and class from Nightwish)

No no no, for once I didn't lose count of the days, this round started yesterday. Is this a mistake or did I miss something? Time for some tactical listening.

I was going to let Diesel influence my vote but... Barracuda is quite metal if you ask me! Fantastic song, beats Heartwork quite handily actually.

Devils Island is good, and Mother never impressed me all that much.

Good call on Under the Blade being 70s Priest, very good song. Midway through The Four Horsemen I forgot what song it's up against.

Like this album a lot. It's not better than Holy Wars but I'll give Rhymes some love. Though now that I'm reaching the end of Holy Wars I'm not sure I can even do that. It's already bolded, no way back.

I'm not the biggest fan of anything The Sound of Perseverance, but Flesh pushes all the right buttons today. Maybe because I'm overdosing on BTBAM lately. The forms are similar even if not much else, and that's what usually irks me about this album. I also tend to like some songs better when I'm tired; say thanks to the bastard bus driver that didn't come to the bus station I was in and prolonged my ride by two hours. Damn that's a long song. Holy good Sabbath song. Intro is Hotel California apparently. I think Children of the Sea still wins.

Ghost Love Score is obviously where it's at, but you know what, I'm really not where "it" is right now and I'm not waiting until tomorrow for time to undo itself again. I know the song well enough. Night Goat has been underrated here anyway, love it.

Welp, gotta vote against my own nominee for the first time here. I love "Flesh and the Power It Holds", obviously, but "Children of the Sea" IS the better song.

"Ghost Love Score" is a no-brainer, though.

Quick one

Heartwork
Mother
Four Horsemen
Holy Wars
Children of the Sea
Don't really care about the last one, Nightwish didn't do a lot for me, and the ending was November Rain, but the other song was very poor

Back