The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 91-96

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Balls To The Wall. Easy.
A close call, I feel I should vote for the classic early speed metal of Exciter, very effective song, but I like the riff and the vibe of Spotlight Kid so much (not to mention the solo or the good vocals). It may not be the better the song, but it's sound so old school and I love it.
Stargazer, no contest.
The music of MF's The Oath is very strong, but I can only vote for Unleash The Archers because of the vocals. And the style reminds Maiden.
Tarot's song is really cool. I like the vocals (ofc) and the vibe of I Feel For You, it's a Nightwish/Dio-esque song in disguise. I liked it very much. Victim Of Changes's vocals, structure and solo work great (more so live) so it's a tough call, but I'll go with the Priest song because it's a bit more effective.
It could have been a different outcome for Going Under, but Highway Star is a rock classic. Purple at their best.

Tarot's song is really cool. I like the vocals (ofc) and the vibe of I Feel For You, it's a Nightwish/Dio-esque song in disguise. I liked it very much.
Finally you and I are on the same page about something! :D I ain’t even mad about you voting for Priest cuz “Victim of Changes” is a classic, I’m just happy to see you actually like one of my songs lol.

For me, Candlemass AND Accept (because I love both bands and because I didn't vote for Unleash The Archer and Mercyful Fate, two bands I don't like at all).
Judas Priest, of course.
Rainbow, also of course.
Judas Priest, third of course.
Deep Purple, without any hesitation.

I'm removing The Mercenary's votes for failing to comply with the rules. It's disrespectful to the people who have listened to the songs and actually gone ahead and made a choice rather than going "ew, icky". Since I've established this as a precedent, I will be removing all votes in the future that do not listen and vote incorrectly. This includes voting the margins, voting twice in one matchup, or not voting in all six matchups. I can't have made this more clear.

With that in mind, it's tie city today for us, as Candlemass and Accept tie, as do Rainbow and Judas Priest.  Rainbow brings the noise to a very lopsided matchup with Anthrax and Public Enemy, while Unleash the Archers might swear a couple oaths as they slip past Mercyful Fate. No surprise or stigmata for Tarot in losing to Judas Priest while Evanescence predicatably goes under against Deep Purple.

Part II, Round 3, Matches 85-90

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 85​
To Tame a Land Division​
Aerosmith - Dream On
vs.
Blind Guardian - Nightfall​
DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +10
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +11​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 86​
From Fear to Eternity Division​
Opeth - Ghost of Perdition
vs.
Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards​
@MrKnickerbocker
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +7
Record
0-1-0, 0 pts, -13​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 87​
Iron Maiden Division​
Count Raven - Baltic Storm
vs.
Motörhead - Iron Fist​
@Confeos
Nominators
Popoff 500, Best Music Art 100
@DJ James
1-0-0, 2 pts, +5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +7​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 88​
The X Factor Division​
Kamelot - Forever
vs.
Black Sabbath - Iron Man​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100​
1-0-0, 2 pts, +5
Record
1-0-0, 0 pts, +9​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 89​
Man on the Edge Division​
Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
vs.
Metallica - Fade to Black​
Youtube 50
Nominators
Popoff 500, Rolling Stone 100, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, Best Music Art 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -5
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +23​
Links

Group Stage - Round 3
Match 90​
Stratego Division​
Accept - Princess of the Dawn
vs.
Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin'​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500, DigitalDreamDoor 100, Rate Your Music 100, VH1 40, Best Music Art 100​
0-1-0, 0 pts, -6
Record
1-0-0, 2 pts, +3​
7Links

Doubletwicenary has gone last night. :D

So, these are my choices in this list above this time. :cool:

1) Aerosmith. Because "Dream On" is a beautiful ballad. It's one of the first Aeromsith songs I've heard when I fell in love with this band. So, for me, the choice is really easy.

2) Opeth. Even if I'm not a fan of this progressive and melodic death metal squadron from Sweden, I chose it because I don't like black metal and especially black metal bands talking about black magic.

3) Motörhead. Because this song is a pure blast of rock'n'roll and because of Lemmy. I love energetic songs and this band, that is legendary. In the other hand, I also love doom metal tracks from Count Raven. Great band too. But, this time, even if Lemmy was born to lose, he lived to win. So, that's happening right now with my choice.

4) Black Sabbath. This duel was terrible for me. Kamelot is one of the greatest power metal bands on Earth, with such huge albums as 'Karma', 'Epica' or 'Haven'. BUT, Black Sabbath is the origin of all metal. This is the band that invented this awesome genre of music. And "Iron Man" is another jewel from Birmingham's guys. So, "Iron Man" wins.

5) Metallica. Purely and simply. Because Linkin Park is not music, is it ? "Fade To Black" is one of californian band's mammoths that kill'em all. So, this was the most logical choice here.

6) Judas Priest. Once again a very difficult battle between two heavy metal classics. In one hand you have "Princess Of The Dawn" which is an extraordinary song from the steamroller 'Restless And Wild'. In the other hand you have "You've Got Another Thing Coming", another bulldozer which is one the most exciting songs from the Priest. Added to the fact that this track is on one of the greatest heavy metal records of all times ('Screaming For Vengeance'). What allowed me to choose is the vocals : Rob is the Metal God. Udo Dirkschneider is a very talented singer too, but he's not the Metal God...

That's all, folks. :p

“Ghost of Perdition” is really cool, but “I Am the Black Wizards” is one of black metal’s most iconic and defining songs, built up in layers like a symphonic storm, erupting like a title wave — it’s one of those tracks that first made me take the genre seriously beyond just “ah it’s a lot of noise”. Should absolutely be a Top 25 competitor in the battle for greatest metal song.

“Dream On” vs. “Nightfall”: The Aerosmith song is excellent, while the Blind Guardian song is merely good (and uneven). A very easy call for Aerosmith. Winner: Aerosmith - “Dream On”

“Ghost Of Perdition” vs. “I Am The Black Wizards”: The Opeth track is musically great, but with extra-shitty extreme vocals, while the Emperor track is one of the better black metal tracks in the GMSC, but fundamentally can’t compete with its opponent overall. An easy win for @MrKnickerbocker’s nominee. Winner: Opeth - “Ghost Of Perdition”

“Baltic Storm” vs. “Iron Fist”: Both of these tracks are underwhelming, but sorry @Confeos, I think @DJ James’s nominee is slightly less disappointing. Winner: Motörhead - “Iron Fist”

“Forever” vs. “Iron Man”: Both of these songs are pretty good, but not much more, and I could probably go either way on this one. That said, the sleek yet uninspiring nature of the Kamelot track is a tad less appealing than the raw, uneven plod of the Sabbath track in this particular case. Winner: Black Sabbath - “Iron Man”

“Somewhere I Belong” vs. “Fade To Black”: The Linkin Park track is pretty good, but the Metallica track is amazing. No contest here. Winner: Metallica - “Fade To Black”

“Princess Of The Dawn” vs. “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming”: The Accept track is bland and plodding, while the Judas Priest track has a lot more charisma and staying power. An easy call for Priest. Winner: Judas Priest - “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming”

A really easy round -

Blind Guardian, one of the best bands ever with their possibly best album, duh (and I'm 100% convinced the people who voted Aerosmith have never read The Silmarillion)

Opeth, lol. Again, there's an argument to be made that one is their best album overall.

The Doomy Dooms of Count Raven over one of Motorhead songs I actually even like, but still, Motorhead is like snakebite and black - good every once in a while, but overdo it or drink it daily and it will probably result in a diarrhea.

Kamelot (btw I nominated that one) over one of the less interesting Ozzy-era Sabbath songs.

Metallica, lol.

I like both bands and both songs are kinda droning, but Princess of the Dawn has better atmosphere, at least.

Dream On is one of the classic 70's songs.

Unpopular opinion, but I like Kamelot's Forever better than Iron Man.

Linkin Park are class, but Fade To Black is one of my favorite pieces of music ever written.

Princess Of The Dawn wins over You've Got Another Thing Comin' with its riff and vibe (especially the latter part of it). One of Accept's very best, while in Priest's case I'm not sure imo. The drive is great ofc.

Aerosmith - Dream On vs. Blind Guardian - Nightfall
Dream On is a great track, Nightfall one of the better Blind Guardian tracks but still miles away from my tastes Dream On

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition vs. Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards

It's hard to appreciate the dynamics of a long track when you only give it one listen, and when the vocal is grunting it doesn't help it, but as usual there was some good stuff musically in the Opeth track, I might have voted for Emperor if I could hear it, as I got the impression the riffs and arrangement were better Ghost of Perdition

Count Raven - Baltic Storm vs. Motörhead - Iron Fist

Baltic Storm was pretty good, but every time it comes up it reminds me of the episode of 30 Rock where there was a kids entertainment band called the Woggles, the melody is the same as one of their songs. Iron Fist kicks ass. Iron Fist

Kamelot - Forever vs. Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Iron Man has some great riffs but is otherwise not great, but Kamelot really is scrapping the bottom of the barrel of metal cliches. Iron Man

Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong vs. Metallica - Fade to Black

This is an obvious mismatch Fade to Black

Accept - Princess of the Dawn vs. Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin'

Princess of the Dawn is alright but far inferior You've Got Another Thing Comin'

edit: LOL just saw I missed this, could have swore it said it didn't end until tomorrow!

Back