The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 67-72

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Finally my type of person.
(I rather won't go back in this thread to see how you voted in the previous Rhapsody/Turilli matches, though.)
You like those ancient vibes too - great. I think I voted for Rhapsody Of Fire before. Luca Turilli not because it was against my nominee, but I really liked the song.

No time to write about every match, but it's funny to me how people describe this ROF song as a "mess". Not every song has to follow a traditional song structure. Also, Flying Whales is probably the 2nd best song in this round, but Reign of Terror is better and I have no sympathy left for Gojira as they sold out.

Looks like the riff raff have stormed the tower, as AC/DC beats Angel. The Emperor's curses have fallen on deaf ears, for while they cursed all men, they cannot curse Bathory's gods. Finally, Rhapsody of Fire begins their reign of terror by striking dead the flying whales. The war machine can't battle to a win inside Alice Cooper's nightmare. Those about to rock have A Long Way to the Top in the alternating current - direct current matchup. Those babies may have been rich, but they fell to Michael Schenker's assault attack (which is just...two verbs for the same thing...frigging Germans).

Part I, Round 24, Matches 139-144

Play In Round
Match 139
Tailgunner Division​
KISS - God of Thunder
vs.
Aerosmith - Rats in the Cellar​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 140
Tailgunner Division​
Cinderella - Gypsy Road
vs.
Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Rolling Stone 100​
Links

Play In Round
Match 141
Tailgunner Division​
Hurricane on Saturn - I Want
vs.
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare​
Youtube 50
Nominators
Youtube 50​
Links

Play In Round
Match 142
Adrian Smith Division​
Death - Zombie Ritual
vs.
Deicide - Sacrificial Suicide​
@Magnus
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 143
Adrian Smith Division​
Ministry - Just One Fix
vs.
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 144
Adrian Smith Division​
Obituary - Chopped in Half
vs.
Swallow the Sun - Rooms and Shadows​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Links

For your consideration, the original version of God of Thunder:

This song wouldn't be in this game if it weren't for Bob Ezrin.

I need to play the songs in Match 140 and I should probably replay the rest for a more detailed write-up, otherwise this would be the first round I could vote barely by looking at the list.
I'll put this here as a prediction, I'll replay all songs tomorrow and do a write-up, let's see if the prediction will be correct.

Aerosmith
???
Avenged Sevenfold
Death
Soundgarden
Swallow the Sun

For your consideration, the original version of God of Thunder:

This song wouldn't be in this game if it weren't for Bob Ezrin.
It's actually still quite good, but it feels like typical fun Kiss stuff. Once they slowed it down and gave the vocals over to Gene it really came into its own. Such a wonderfully sinister song, definitely one of my favorites from Kiss.

Alright, what's the story there?
Basically, Destroyer was the first Kiss album that had a budget since they were starting to explode as a live act thanks to the Alive album released the previous year. Bob Ezrin was brought on as a producer coming off his work with Alice Cooper (particularly the Welcome to My Nightmare album). They wanted a similar theatrical approach to the album and something to help bolster their image. One of the creative choices that came as a result was slowing down God of Thunder and letting Gene sing it, leading to the creation of a signature concert moment.

Bob Ezrin is one of many non band members who was instrumental in shaping their image and on stage personas.

Holy shit. Wow. This is brutal.

Positives:
  • Chris Cornell, even though the song in question is vastly overplayed
  • Swallow the Sun have some nice autumnal vibes.
I’m gonna forego the rest of the write up because I have absolutely nothing else nice to say about any of these songs.

Aerosmith
Lita Ford
Avenged Sevenfold
Death
Soundgarden
Swallow the Sun

KISS, because the God of Thunder over here is @Perun as I hope you know.
Kiss Me Deadly for so many reasons.
Hurricane On Saturn is some kind of a joke, right? Voting for the band with the music.
Death, of course.
Hate voting for a list vs fellow member nomination, and Black Hole Sun is probably the only song from that scene I really liked back then, but I liked Ministry more.
Swallow The Sun's song has music, mood and melancholy. Obituary's has, well, some nice and welcome brutality, and some serious sound, but that's about it.

Back