The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 43-48

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mostly, hard rock is fair game because I didn't want to listen to 500 Popoff songs and start knocking out the ones that I didn't think were metal.

I'm not sure if this is a compliment? But hey, sometimes we do weird things. The list stuff is kind of spread out intentionally to make sure we have lots of options, and some of it is really wild.
More so just an observation. Anime isn’t really an “interest” of mine (nor a “niche” interest at all, anime is hugely popular), I definitely DO have a hyper focused interest in K-On! and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (same studio, and Haruhi is a CLASSIC anime). This hyper focused interest has manifested itself in a couple ways, I mostly just rewatch those animes a lot. They speak to me in a lot of ways.

K-On! is an anime about enjoying life and challenging yourself to be the best you can, and I like that a lot. Like I said I’m not really a general anime guy (only seen about 20~ anime’s start to finish) but I will always recommend K-On!. I think just about anyone could watch it and get something out of it.

On to Death Devil, I don’t believe they really have a spot in any general sort of top heavy metal songs list. Their role in the show is technically important, but the few songs they actually recorded for the show (again fictional band with real life music, and maybe it was just that one song they recorded, I’d had to go back and check) aren’t really anything super crazy. More so like a pop rock sound than anything.

I don't think I'm going to get to this round - although I'll still try, but I did want to post a couple L takes for posterity:

- Both Slipknot songs are classics. Not a big fan of the band but I think they're a bit underappreciated around here and they have a knack for hooks. I would probably go with Duality but either is a worthy choice haters be damned. They're well written songs that bridge the gap between hard rock and extreme metal. Not TRVE at all, but a necessary appendage to the authentic bands of the genre. I imagine Slipknot has been a gateway to better things for many people, particularly in the USA.

- Neither are metal songs but All My Life has more Metal attributes than Jump which is literally a top 40 song with guitars (see also Beat It, are we putting Beat It in this game too?). If we're going to have non Metal proto Metal stuff in the game, I don't see why Foo Fighters can't be here as well. All My Life is a fantastic song, an insane buildup and a relentless chorus. It is among Foo Fighters' best work and it hits hard. I love both songs for different reasons, but All My Life is just so much heavier and in your face that it really is more deserving of being here. I've come to really enjoy the grittiness of the One By One album in general in recent years, despite it being my least favorite for a long time (unfortunately since Wasting Light every album they have released has been weaker).

For the record, I've been clear throughout this game that poseurs must eventually leave the hall, but I think it has been an interesting thought experiment to frequently weigh two clearly non-Metal songs against each other and figure out which is more deserving of continuing on. I just hope that the extreme Metal doesn't get slaughtered once it starts going up against the proto-Metal/Metal adjacent stuff.

...I'm absolutely flabbergasted that a Death Devil song somehow got into this tournament. And from that alone, I had to vote for it. Sorry, I also love K-ON! and I'm not going to skip out on a chance to vote for K-ON! whenever it shows up.

Match 79
I used to listen Sonata Arctica in high school and I used to avoid listening to Gamma Ray in high school. Now I don't listen to either but I have to vote for something so Sonata Arctica it is.

Match 80
I never got Slipknot but yesterday I decided to listen to these two songs and focused on the lyrics and I finally got it! It's kitchen metal! "I push my fingers into my pies..." I too push my fingers into my pies when I check if they're ready! "Cheeses that never end..." Fuck, this Corey Taylor Swift is really onto something, I too would like to visit a cheese cellar. The second song is about foreign cuisine, it mentions worms and something and I'm not really into that. Duality it is.

Match 81
Speaking of foreign cuisine, there is this lady yelling something at me. I don't understand her so I have to assume she is saying something against me or my country and that's a hard NO. On the other hand I also don't understand Lemmy. I like the guy but I don't know why I should love him.
Like a reptile.

Match 82
MegaDave

Match 83
No, this wasn't an own goal. I have to choose between a song that I actively hate from a band that I actively love VS. a song that I don't care about from a band that has a guy who was in a band that I actively hate. I'm not gonna do that.

Match 84
I can't believe I'm gonna say this - but fu** AC/DC already. And since the pants are off - Thin Lizzy too.

Gamma Ray. If you need proof that there's variety in power metal, this is the song. The Cage is also very good, the keyboard is a highlight. The vocalist has something of an accent and does a bit monotone in some melodic parts, very much like Blaze, but he's far from bad.

Duality. Other than the "all I've got is insane" part, which goes on for too long, it's great. Before I Forget I was less excited about.

Death Devil wasn't terrible, but the instruments are super buried and the best part. Motorhead is rad.

Territory is comprised of pretty simple riffs but it grooves hard and that's kind of the point. Mustaine is actually tolerable on Countdown to Extinction. Those are some Maiden guitars. Liked the bass intro too. They're both good songs but Sepultura is getting slaughtered because people can't appreciate a driving riff so they're getting my vote.

Jump is a good iconic song, but All My Life is basically the only Foo Fighters song I like. I love the syncopated riff. It's definitely more metal too.

Wow, the rare AC/DC song that doesn't sound like every other AC/DC song! Liked it, but it doesn't compete with the fun Jailbreak.

I never got Slipknot but yesterday I decided to listen to these two songs and focused on the lyrics and I finally got it! It's kitchen metal! "I push my fingers into my pies..." I too push my fingers into my pies when I check if they're ready! "Cheeses that never end..." Fuck, this Corey Taylor Swift is really onto something, I too would like to visit a cheese cellar. The second song is about foreign cuisine, it mentions worms and something and I'm not really into that. Duality it is.
Possibly the best analysis yet.

Do people really care whether the song is "metal" or not? It's a cup of songs from people with (broadly) similar tastes where we will hopefully come across a couple of new songs we quite like that we hadn't heard before. It's not likely to affect the "purity" of the results either; I'd find it incredibly funny for Linkin Park or FFDP or whatever band to win this but we can all probably guess half the top 10 already.

With all this said, I am already looking forward to submitting something like Orianthi next time just to see how many people it annoys. :p

Do people really care whether the song is "metal" or not? It's a cup of songs from people with (broadly) similar tastes where we will hopefully come across a couple of new songs we quite like that we hadn't heard before. It's not likely to affect the "purity" of the results either; I'd find it incredibly funny for Linkin Park or FFDP or whatever band to win this but we can all probably guess half the top 10 already.

With all this said, I am already looking forward to submitting something like Orianthi next time just to see how many people it annoys. :p

Also "proto-metal" is a term I take issue with.

Metal was invented on 13th February 1970, so unless the track is from before that date then it's not proto-metal.

Most of the so called pure metal genres are mostly parody anyway. As @Mosh said earlier, probably the truest thing written in this thread, every genre's best bands are the ones that transcend it.

Do people really care whether the song is "metal" or not?
Actually no but since there is the word "metal" in Greatest Metal Song Cup the song has to be at least metal adjacent. Helter Skelter by The Beatles wouldn´t be out of place here.
Never heard of it. Do I dare to youtube it?

Edit: listened to some snippets. Not really my thing but I wouldn´t turn off the radio if one of her songs would appear on it.

Last edited:

I’ve got a few coming up that will stir the pot:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Gamma Ray cages up Sonata Arctica. For the Slipknot-off, we've forgotten one track despite its warnings, and Duality is promoted. There's no love for Death Devil here, only reptilian love for Motörhead. One tick closer to extinction for Sepultura, as Megadeth wins this round. They have waited all their life for this, but Van Halen got the jump on Foo Fighters. And finally, Thin Lizzy busts out of prison, walking all over AC/DC as they do.

Part 1, Round 15, Matches 85-90

Play In Round
Match 85
Tony Moore Division​
Doctor Smoke - Been Here Forever
vs.
Trivium - Down From the Sky​
@Jer
Nominators
Best Music Art 100​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 86
Trios Match​
Match 86
Tony Moore Division​
Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen
vs.
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary​
vs.
Mötley Crüe - Too Young to Fall in Love​
Popoff 500​
Nominators
Radio EHS 100​
Nominators
@Jer
Links
Links

Play In Round
Match 87
The Evil That Men Do Division​
Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7
vs.
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul​
@KiDDo
Nominators
Rolling Stone 100​
Links

Play In Round
Match 88
Celtic Frost - Procreation (of the Wicked)
vs.
Bethlehem - Wintermute​
Rolling Stone 100
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 89
Arcturus - Fall of Man
vs.
Gojira - Amazonia​
@Magnus
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 90
Dream of Mirrors Division​
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush
vs.
Soundgarden - Rusty Cage​
@Diesel 11
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Oh man, The Cult! I dunno why they’re lumped in with glam but their hits are awesome.

Also “Plush” (my own nomination) is one of those grunge songs that I always think borders right on metal. It’s heavy as hell, but they play it loose like it’s country. “Rusty Cage” is overrated, Soundgarden have better songs.

I voted in the last round but couldn’t comment in time. A lot of those songs were a bust, not one of the better ones we’ve had. I do think that the two Slipknot songs are solid, but their music is just so empty, only propped up by great choruses. The chorus to “Duality” in particular is awesome, shame that the rest of the song is a dud.

Oh man, The Cult! I dunno why they’re lumped in with glam but their hits are awesome.
Great song but I voted for The Crüe which I didn´t expect I would ever do.
Also “Plush” (my own nomination) is one of those grunge songs that I always think borders right on metal. It’s heavy as hell, but they play it loose like it’s country.
It's one of the highlights of Core. Nice one to sing too by the way!

I don't remember why I did it either, maybe I listened to 20 seconds and made a split call. Frankly I'm impressed we're this far in and nobody has really complained. It wasn't a grab bag, either, which will account for most "weird" matchups.

Back