The Greatest Metal Song Cup - Part II, Round 3, Matches 37-42

What is your favourite song in each match? Vote in all six matchups!

• ----------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Been Here Forever vs. Down From The Sky - Whatever Doctor Smoke is playing is kinda boring IMO. Trivium isn't really my cup of tea either, but that song was solid, plus it has growls which is always a plus.

Rocket Queen vs. She Sells Sanctuary vs. Too Young To Fall In Love - None of these songs are metal. She Sells Sanctuary is the best one though.

Needled 24/7 vs. Slaughter Of The Soul - COB are rarely hit, mostly miss for me. Also, Alexi was not a good vocalist. SOTS is a metal classic, dunno how tf it's losing to a 2nd tier COB song... SMH

Procreation (Of The Wicked) vs. Wintermute - Not really a CF fan, but this song is infinitely better than garbo produced black metal. Sorry @Magnus. Slight digression, but I'll have you know that I did hear a Darkthrone song I liked the other day :D

Fall Of Man vs. Amazonia - This nomination by @Magnus is completely different from the one in the previous match. Not really a fan of the harsh vocals on this one, but the production and the music are great. I can't stand stuff from the last 2 Gojira albums, it all sounds so lame.

Plush vs. Rusty Cage - STP are OK, but Soundgarden is much better.

Rocket Queen vs. She Sells Sanctuary vs. Too Young To Fall In Love - None of these songs are metal.
This is a defensible statement for the first two, but I call bullshit on the Mötley Crüe song not being metal, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Doctor Smoke - never listened to them, but can't help feeling this is what Ghost should sound like
The Cult - I've always had a soft spot for those Northern bands to grow out of post punk, this is one of the less niche songs from that movement
CoB - This was a tougher choice, I like both in this matchup. However, I love the little trademarks of CoB's music, even if it sounds like they made the same song 117 different times
Bethlehem - another tough choice, Bethlehem sound less raw and stripped back
Gojira - they're pretty hard to beat
Soundgarden - Not one of my favourite Soundgarden offerings but the Stone Temple Pilots song is a bit too laid back for my liking

Popoff is about to become my mortal enemy if Soundgarden take that last match.

It's a tie on the last match. I will now call for a tiebreak - next poster who says either "Soundgarden" or "Stone Temple Pilots" will break the tie.

It's not forever yet, but Doctor Smoke outlasts Trivium and sends them down from the sky. The Cult isn't too young for us to fall in love with, it seems, as they rocket past GNR and the Crue at the last second. Children of Bodom slaughters At the Gates with their constant needling, and Bethlehem is left mute by Celtic Frost. It was close, but the forests of Gojira are cut down by Arcturus. Stone Temple Pilots win in a tiebreak, proving that even a rusty cage is hard to break.

Part 1, Round 16, Matches 91-96

Play In Round
Match 91
Dream of Mirrors Division​
Kittie - Spit
vs.
Linkin Park - Numb​
Radio EHS 100
Nominators
Youtube 50​
Youtube | Spotify | Amazon
Links

Play In Round
Match 92
Dream of Mirrors Division​
Rush - Xanadu
vs.
Rush - Subdivisions​
@Stardust
Nominators
Links

Play In Round
Match 93
Dennis Wilcock Division​
Black Sabbath - Computer God
vs.
Accept - Restless and Wild​
@KidInTheDark666
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 94
Dennis Wilcock Division​
Dio - King of Rock and Roll
vs.
Metal Church - God of Wrath​
Best Music Art 100
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 95
Dennis Wilcock Division​
Metallica - The Frayed Ends of Sanity
vs.
Pantera - Mouth for War​
@Shmoolikipod
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

Play In Round
Match 96
Paul Di'Anno Division​
Judas Priest - Metal Gods
vs.
Metal Church - Anthem to the Estranged​
Popoff 500
Nominators
Popoff 500​
Links

There's some really interesting matchups in this one. Spit is a lesser known, early nu-metal offering, versus one of the more "polished" bands. A Rush-off (which will surely make the Rush haters happy). Accept, a lesser band, against a Dio-fronted Sabbath song that isn't generally among the top of Dio-fronted Sabbath songs. Middling Dio versus Metal Church, lesser regarded Metallica and Pantera songs squaring off, and the last matchup too. I wish I had fudged it to make it Metal Gods vs God of Wrath but alas, I have integrity.

This is easily the best round so far. I counted 4 10/10 songs which is probably the same as all the previous rounds combined.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it is a really interesting one. The fact is that most great songs were nominated by multiple people, so ended up in the groups. This is chaff, the one-offs, the interesting, and the bottom 2/3rds of Popoff's book. But it's still fun. It'll be even more fun to see which of the stuff that survives this harsh culling ends up getting to the double knock-out stage, sometime in the middle of next year.

This is easily the worst round so far.

Spit vs. Numb - Kittie sounded awful and Numb is a classic.

Xanadu vs. Subdivisions - Subdivision gets the vote because it's shorter.

Computer God vs. Restless and Wild - Can't stand Accept, so an easy vote for Sabbath.

King of Rock and Roll vs. God of Wrath - Not really into that Dio song, so gave a fair chance to Metal Church, but unfortunately, their vocalist is annoying af.

The Frayed Ends of Sanity vs. Mouth for War - Ugh Pantera.

Metal Gods vs. Anthem to the Estranged - Easily Priest. Another boring outing from Metal Church despite a different vocalist.

Linkin Park - really well put together song and such a contrast to Kittie, who have very little polish about them, particularly the vocals
(Rush) Subdivisions - I just might have mentioned before ::) that I'm not fond of Rush. Subdivisions is less sunny than a lot of Rush and I don't mind it
Sabbath - some high quality Dio Sabbath against Accept? Easy choice for me here.
Metal Church - this pair is a tie if ever I saw one. I've gone for the infectious riff
Metallica - much slicker than Pantera's offering I feel
Priest - this is solid Priest with fantastic soloing. I didn't know this Metal Church song and can see it being a grower, but Metal Gods is quite the act to follow

Kittie - Spit vs. Linkin Park - Numb
Kittie is fuckin awful, I remember their existence back in the day but don't think I ever heard them. I think I was maybe expecting something a bit more catchy but this is just an impression of Korn. At least it was short. Linkin Park's hit is light years above this but not anything I would ever want to listen to. Numb

Rush - Xanadu vs. Rush - Subdivisions

I'm not a major Rush fan but I like them. Have a handful of their classic albums, the newest being Moving Pictures. Xanadu is one of my favourite tracks from the albums I have. Subdivisions video wouldn't play for me, so I picked a different one. I don't know if this is the correct one or not, it's run time is 5 mins, but I can see a live version in the sidebar hitting 7 plus minutes so I'm wondering if this is an edit. I recognise the synth riff and the chorus so I've definitely heard it before. This is pretty good, but Xanadu is a bit better. Xanadu

Black Sabbath - Computer God vs. Accept - Restless and Wild

This round throws up an ethical dilemma, which is going to crop up again in the Metallica and Pantera round. It's a top track from one band v. a deep cut from the other, I'm much more likely to listen to the deep cut of the band I like more than the hit from a band I have a casual interest in. If you just vote for your favourite bands over clearly more broader appeal tracks, is there any point in even participating in this? You're not opening your mind to anything. Then again if we all vote with good conscience we could just give the title to the likely winners Puppets or War Pigs and forget about even bothering? I think I'll just play it by ear (literally) and not overthink things. Dehumanizer is a great record and deserves representation Computer God

Dio - King of Rock and Roll vs. Metal Church - God of Wrath

I don't have Sacred Heart, does the studio album have the fake crowd noise on it? Cringe. Otherwise a great track. Metal Church have one of the worst names in metal, and there's a large field of contenders. This track is a fairly solid effort, a bit like Warning era Queensryche or Crimson Glory. King of Rock and Roll

Metallica - The Frayed Ends of Sanity vs. Pantera - Mouth for War

See above. This time I'm going with the hit. I definitely listen to Frayed Ends more, but it's possibly the weakest on Justice. There's also a bit in the instrumental section, where they play two riffs back to back, and then for no reason, repeat the same section of two riffs back to back. I don't like when Maiden do that in Lost in a Lost World, and I'm not letting Metallica away with it either. Mouth for War is also clearly a bigger hit and Pantera clearly a bigger band than Accept, which again justifies choosing the hit Mouth for War

Judas Priest - Metal Gods vs. Metal Church - Anthem to the Estranged

I love Metal Gods. See above for Metal Church synopsis. Metal Gods

I was a bit underwhelmed by "Spit" - I thought it lacked truly great ideas and wasn't executed that well. "Numb" is extremely overplayed, but it's by far the superior song here. Linkin Park.

Both Rush songs are great, but A Farewell to Kings was the first Rush album I listened to, so I'm going with Xanadu for nostalgic reasons.

"Computer God" is so underrated. Heavy and insanely menacing, it's a monster of a tune. On the other hand, I feel Accept has better songs than "Restless and Wild". Voting for Black Sabbath.

"King of Rock and Roll" is not the Dio-track I would choose for a Greatest Song Cup. It's fine, but there are many better songs to choose from. This is my first time listening to Metal Church, and I like it. Some parts in "Gods of Wrath" are a little iffy, like the high shrieks in the chorus, but overall it's a cool song. Gonna throw my vote to Metal Church here.

Like "Computer God", "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" is also very underrated. It's definitely one of my favourites from Justice, and it's great to see it pop up here. As for Pantera, the music is good, but Phil Anselmo is as annoying as ever. Anyway, it's not even a real contest - Metallica all the way.

"Metal Gods" is so silly, in the best kind of way. I love the lyrics, the chorus and the incredibly cheesy cutlery-and-other-kitchen-appliances slamming - how can that not put a smile on your face? I didn't like this Metal Church song quite as much as the previous, so it's gonna be a vote for Judas Priest here.

I'm really not in a good state right now in light of the events in my country, so I'm just going to vote on songs I like...

Numb is easily the best Linkin Park song I have heard, I like it a lot.

Xanadu

Frayed
was basically the first song I thought "holy shit this is the best thing ever" about. It still holds up, the riffing is tight. Mouth for War is also great.

Metal Gods.

Back