The Greatest Human Who Ever Lived

I think I could do that too, but it would be broken up into a few catagories - religion, politics, science, exploration, education.

That can't be done clearly. For example, look at Mahmud of Ghazna. Nobody will argue that he was one of the greatest conquerors in history, and his political reforms outlasted his empire. Nonetheless, he was also responsible for the influx of Turkish culture in Persia, for a new golden age of Persian culture (including the ever so rare literary life -the greatest work in the history of Persian literature is dedicated to him), and he also wrote important scientific books on the history and religion of India, while being the leading light of contemporary Islam. His capital, Ghazna (now Ghasni, Afghanistan), as well as the surrounding palace towns became masterworks of Turkish-Persian architecture. Hence, he would fall into nearly all the categories you mentioned. He may have had a different rate of influence in each respective category, but it is hard, if not impossible, to say which factor was the most important.

Perun said:
That can't be done clearly. For example, look at Mahmud of Ghazna. Nobody will argue that he was one of the greatest conquerors in history, and his political reforms outlasted his empire. Nonetheless, he was also responsible for the influx of Turkish culture in Persia, for a new golden age of Persian culture (including the ever so rare literary life -the greatest work in the history of Persian literature is dedicated to him), and he also wrote important scientific books on the history and religion of India, while being the leading light of contemporary Islam. His capital, Ghazna (now Ghasni, Afghanistan), as well as the surrounding palace towns became masterworks of Turkish-Persian architecture. Hence, he would fall into nearly all the categories you mentioned. He may have had a different rate of influence in each respective category, but it is hard, if not impossible, to say which factor was the most important.

So he falls under all of them, nothing wrong with that, more power to him. I think catagorizing is still a good idea.

Back