The Genesis of Somewhere in Time

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
Probably a question beaten to death but still... do you guys really think that there are absolutely no recordings of the SiT Tour done by the band? I can't imagine that they've deleted everything just because they didn't like how it sounded. Paris 1986 is available widely, it doesn't sound that great but it could probably be polished in a studio and released. It would probably sell much better than stuff like Nights of the Dead.

I still hope that we will get some unreleased stuff after Maiden's career is done and there will be some proper live recording from 1986.
You're forgetting one thing... Maiden are the laziest band on the planet

I don’t think they’ve always been lazy, quite the opposite. Not sure when it was the turning point, maybe late 80s, maybe mid 90s but no, not always.
I suppose they did put more work in in the 80's when they were working to get to the top but yeah from 90's onwards they put an album out and they tour but that's about it, not an awful lot more for the fans. I compare to Metallica as there are bands of similar stature, but Metallica release so much more and make it for more interesting for fans. Ok that might have something to do with Lars wanting to fill his wallet but I do think Maiden could do more for us.

Maiden have released 6 legitimate albums this millennium, Metallica have only released 2?
Its actually 3 and Lulu which is still a studio album. That's not my point though. Like I said they produce quality albums and gigs, which is great its just all the other stuff. They pretty much do nothing else when a lot of other big bands try to have a bit more output for their fans and interaction.

Metallica does a lot, infinitely more than Maiden, in the stuff that's not release or tour.

Interviews, specials, official bootlegs, celebration of past albums with huge new coverage, so on...I get they're public personas and Maiden is bunch of quite private dudes, but still end product speaks a lot. The disappointment SiT people received (and SSOASS!) with absolutely minimal new stuff on History 2, is something that does not happen with Metallica.

St. Anger is not a legitimate album, it's not anything legitimate.

How would you respond to the same opinion about X Factor?

Metallica does a lot, infinitely more than Maiden, in the stuff that's not release or tour.

Interviews, specials, official bootlegs, celebration of past albums with huge new coverage, so on...I get they're public personas and Maiden is bunch of quite private dudes, but still end product speaks a lot. The disappointment SiT people received (and SSOASS!) with absolutely minimal new stuff on History 2, is something that does not happen with Metallica.

How would you respond to the same opinion about X Factor?
That's the point i'm making, they do a lot of great stuff like that. The 'unreleased' stuff aren't things that have been readily available on the internet for years. They (or someone) puts the effort in to give fans a bit more. Saying all that Maiden produce better music and live shows so they are still my no.1 by far lol. Its there must be so much stuff they have that they could release to us die hards and cool stuff they could do but don't bother.

I don’t think they’ve always been lazy, quite the opposite. Not sure when it was the turning point, maybe late 80s, maybe mid 90s but no, not always.

89 was the only fully idle year, until Bruce's exit, Blaze's accident - 2 years between end of Real Live tour and beginning of X Factour. So it's probably mid 90s, the industry changed, they changed, and they found some new pace. They also fell out of mainstream promotions (MTV, launch parties, etc.). So they could fully do their own schedule I think.

I'd shrug and scroll on, as I do every time I read something to that effect.

Well ok, I also shrug, cause I don't understand how it's a non-album. It's an album. The songs are still played live to this day. Is it a bad album? Yeah.

That's the point i'm making, they do a lot of great stuff like that. The 'unreleased' stuff aren't things that have been readily available on the internet for years. They (or someone) puts the effort in to give fans a bit more. Saying all that Maiden produce better music and live shows so they are still my no.1 by far lol. Its there must be so much stuff they have that they could release to us die hards and cool stuff they could do but don't bother.

Absolutely. I believe it comes down to Harris being a normal fan of his favourites and Lars being a compulsive collect'em'all superfan of his favourite bands. In the end, it reflected the way their own bands do the vault approach.

Well ok, I also shrug, cause I don't understand how it's a non-album. It's an album. The songs are still played live to this day. Is it a bad album? Yeah.

iu

Yeah I mean, what I wouldn't give for some deluxe boxsets like what Metallica or Sabbath have been releasing. That's something badly missing from the Maiden and given the average age of a Maiden fan and their disposable income, they'd likely make a mint.

Going back on topic slightly but imagine a SiT box with the remastered album on Vinyl and CD, an album of alternative takes and mixes, a couple of whatever live recordings they have on vinyl and CD, bootleg or not, a DVD with some archive live footage and whatever else they made at the time and a few posters/merch thrown in.

Now imagine if they did this for all the classic albums. That would basically be a license to print money. I've no idea why they haven't jumped on this by now.

Yeah I mean, what I wouldn't give for some deluxe boxsets like what Metallica or Sabbath have been releasing. That's something badly missing from the Maiden and given the average age of a Maiden fan and their disposable income, they'd likely make a mint.

Going back on topic slightly but imagine a SiT box with the remastered album on Vinyl and CD, an album of alternative takes and mixes, a couple of whatever live recordings they have on vinyl and CD, bootleg or not, a DVD with some archive live footage and whatever else they made at the time and a few posters/merch thrown in.

Now imagine if they did this for all the classic albums. That would basically be a license to print money. I've no idea why they haven't jumped on this by now.
That would be awesome but I feel we have next to zero chance of Maiden doing that, but hope springs eternal.

Back