The Genesis of Somewhere in Time

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
All versions if the official Iron Maiden biography fail to acknowledge Bruce’s songwriting contributions on TNOTB.

I have taken picture of the pages talking about the songwriting credits.

Attachments

• 652EE867-448C-44C3-A68A-690637D7C54F.jpeg
    652EE867-448C-44C3-A68A-690637D7C54F.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 94C0AAED-A835-4507-916E-E1AB5BE257C5.jpeg
    94C0AAED-A835-4507-916E-E1AB5BE257C5.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D8A5BDBD-41EA-421E-AE09-51CD381B4CDC.jpeg
    D8A5BDBD-41EA-421E-AE09-51CD381B4CDC.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 8
^ why incriminate yourself. You'd have to explain that you legally didn't have rights to write for major-label Iron Maiden record, and that you broke that deal. For what reason, credits redistribution? Samson and their publisher would sue for damages and that would be some money involved (TNOTB is one of the most sold metal records of all time).

As mentioned the proof is in the pragmatic - live 1995 - 1999 ;) I don't think anything more has to be said. If you are follower of his solo career you know he played his own songs to prove a point.

^ why incriminate yourself. You'd have to explain that you legally didn't have rights to write for major-label Iron Maiden record, and that you broke that deal. For what reason, credits redistribution? Samson and their publisher would sue for damages and that would be some money involved (TNOTB is one of the most sold metal records of all time).

As mentioned the proof is in the pragmatic - live 1995 - 1999 ;) I don't think anything more has to be said. If you are follower of his solo career you know he played his own songs to prove a point.

Of course. The point I was trying to make is that Maiden had not acknowledged Bruce’s contribution in the official biography, that’s all.

That being said, Rod mentions Bruce co-wrote The Prisoner on 12 Wasted Years. :)

I wonder if Paul Samson's death has anything to do with Bruce outright stating he co-wrote Run to the Hills in recent years.

While he was out of Maiden, he did not play Maiden covers, he played his songs.

Prisoner, Run To The Hills, Flight of Icarus, 2 Minutes To Midnight, Powerslave.

He co-wrote Run to the Hills with Harris

He cowrote everything from that list excluding Powerslave. Still his songs. His lyrics, his theme, his idea.

Yep but your phrase "not maiden covers" might have confused some readers into thinking that Steve wasn't involved with Run to the Hills at all, and for the sake of accuracy I added the correction.

Yeah but there was always a kind of wink wink element to his claim e.g. the "moral contribution", whereas only recently did he explicitly state, to paraphrase him, " I wrote Run to the Hills melody, it's based on My Way"

In that case, he waited more than a decade after Paul Samson’s death to make that claim. :lol:

Either way, wasn’t Children of the Damned the song that Paul Samson claimed had riffs that were presumably his?

Yeah, I wasn't think straight there, the issue with RTTH wasn't with Samson but with the record company, so Samson's death would have had no relevance to why Bruce was being more explicit about it. Probably he just thinks there's too much water under the bridge to remaining being coy about it.

If I had to guess, members of Samson have long know what songs Bruce helped write, prior to Bruce even saying anything. But as his name is not credited on the album, that’s the official documentation.

Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there/would there be a statute of limitations on something like this? Like, say, after 25 years you really can’t sue Bruce for shit regarding who wrote what?

If I had to guess, members of Samson have long know what songs Bruce helped write, prior to Bruce even saying anything. But as his name is not credited on the album, that’s the official documentation.

Also, maybe someone can answer this: is there/would there be a statute of limitations on something like this? Like, say, after 25 years you really can’t sue Bruce for shit regarding who wrote what?

I don't think it was anything to do with Samson members, more their record company. Samson owed the record company a fortune at the time and probably would have taken all Bruce's royalties [speculation from me]

Back