The Four Horsemen vs Mechanix

Which is better?

• The Four Horsemen

• Mechanix

Results are only viewable after voting.

Black Wizard

Pleb Hunter
The great debate. Let's settle this one for good.

So which song is better?

Is it Metallica's 'The Four Horsemen' off their debut album 'Kill 'Em All'? With Hetfield, Ulrich and Mustaine given writing credits and the lyrics:

The Horsemen are drawing nearer
On the leather steeds they ride
They have come to take your life
On through the dead of night
With the four Horsemen ride
or choose your fate and die

Or is it Megadeth's 'Mechanix' with the same riff but faster from their debut 'Killing Is My Business...and Business Is Good'? Dave Mustaine is credited as the sole writer of the song which has the homo-erotic lyrics:

Said you wanna get your order filled
Made me shiver when I put it in
Pumping just won't do ya know luckily for you
Who ever though you'd be better
At turning a screw than me
I do it for my life

Discuss!

I never thought of the lyrics as specifically homo-erotic before, but now that you mention it, could Rob Halford be the inspiration for these lyrics and is Turbo Lover his response to the Mechanix?

Last edited:
Easy vote for The Four Horsemen.
Horsemen:
Riff played at the pace of an ominous trot
Hetfield's singing is echoey and booming
Lyrics about the apocalypse

Mechanix:
Riff is an unidentifiable blur - it's like listening to a sped-up lecture and trying to make out the words
Mustaine's singing is whiny and hits odd notes in unpleasant ways
Lyrics about sex in a car

The lyrics are what make this choice so easy for me. If I find a song about romance or sex good, it's in spite of the lyrics, not because of them, and the song has to be doing a very good job musically, which Mechanix does not.

Mechanix.

To elaborate:
Four Horsemen is played too slow for the in-your-face impact the song requires. It gets boring in the last two minutes, like most Metallica songs do - the Metallica Disease is already there.
Mechanix is a thrash punch like only early Megadeth could do them. Pure aggression, which is what this song calls for, and not a second too long, unlike Four Horsemen, which is about three minutes too long.
Both singers are pretty crappy, but I'll take drugged, cocky Mustaine over drunk, pimply Hetfield.
Lyrically, Four Horsemen is far superior.

Well, @Midnight didn't specify it's with Rob Halford. Not to sound homophobic, but I'd rather take the apocalypse then.

Wait, you'd rather see everyone die and all that everyone has ever lived for be obliterated to nothing than have sex with an admittedly ugly but still very popular old geezer?

Make a sacrifice, man! We're all in this together!

Also, what's up with Mustaine's pronunciation during the last two lines of the chorus?
That is not how you pronounce "bulge".

Back