The Educated Fool

How good is The Educated Fool on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Educated Fool

8. I would have given a 9, but the drums made me drop the score down by 1. Other instruments did a great work, though.

Would be perfect score if it didn't end that way, just coming back again to prechorus/chorus, etc..
What i've always imagined - after the final instrumental part, song continues in high pace into chorus (so chorus is 2x tempo), and just ends with intro melody.

What is it with peoples thoughts on the drums on this album? I really cannot say it has ever bothered me how it sounds or if it's too boring or if it's missing or whatever. This album is the best from Blaze (or more particularly, the best non-Bruce album). I'd give this an 8. Great song.

This is one of my favourite Maiden tracks, which ranks instrumentally with the very best and has added great lyrics. 10/10

Albie said:
What is it with peoples thoughts on the drums on this album? I really cannot say it has ever bothered me how it sounds or if it's too boring or if it's missing or whatever. This album is the best from Blaze (or more particularly, the best non-Bruce album). I'd give this an 8. Great song.
It didn't bother me either, but live his drumming makes a huge difference.

One of the better on the album. Good lyrics (but the line "open the page at chapter one" feels a bit strange - wouldn't it be more logical to open the book at chapter one?), and varied music throughout. However, there's something about the singing on this one I'm not such a big fan of. Blaze loses a bit of tone and sounds more mumbling when the lyrics are "dense", when he can't drag out the notes. Some may like how he delivers it, I don't. Wonder how he would sound on other songs with a lot of syllables in little space, like The Duellists, Phantom of the Opera or Alexander the Great. Still, this is part of a pattern that Bruce has also pointed out: Not all Harris-written songs are easy to sing well.

So, a really good song, but I won't place it among the very best. 8/10 again.

7/10, A very good solid track, love the melodies in this song, really like the guitar work in general.

6/10. Good vocal lines in verses and more boring drums... Seriously, WTF happened to Nicko on this song?

One of my absolute favourite Maiden songs, beautiful instrumentation and meaningful lyrics. Blaze shines on this one, as does the rest of the band. 10/10.

6- I really could never get into this song.  I like the build up but find the chorus grating and annoying.

I don't get it. The mix robs the song of the dynamics it should have, Nicko sounds dead, and Blaze's vocals feel really hesitant and forced. It's weird that they are using three part vocal harmonies, and it feels like it's only there to make Blaze sound interesting. Kind of a blah song.

I used to like this a lot, but it's dropped for me recently. On the first listen I was blown away, now I'm just ticked off by Blaze's monotonous vocal performance and Nicko's boring drumwork. The chorus really ought to have been shorter, though overall I do enjoy the lyrics and the instrumental is alright.

5/10

8/10

Some of the album's best riffs are on here, for example the intro, and the solos are cool but it feels dragging from time to time.

Not bad, but I can't feel the emotions in this one. The verse is kind of boring. The riff on the pre chorus is cool thou and so are the vocal layers on the chorus. But as a whole I can't really feel the song as I could with many other songs on the album. Not by any means bad but I can't give it more then a 6.

6/10

Back