The Definitive Iron Maiden Fan's Guide to London

O2 Arena, Home of modern day Iron Maiden
Address:
Peninsula Square, London SE10 0DX
Description: If the 1976-1978 era Iron Maiden had its home at Cart and Horses, the reunion era Iron Maiden has firmly established its modern-day stronghold at The O2 Arena, located just about a kilometer south of their original haunt in East London. Over the years, The O2 Arena has hosted some of the band's most monumental performances, particularly during their reunion era. From the thunderous shows of The Final Frontier World Tour in 2011, where Iron Maiden captivated audiences over two consecutive nights, to the highly acclaimed Maiden England Tour in 2013, The O2 Arena has been a recurring venue for the band's epic live spectacles. The venue also witnessed the band's powerful renditions during The Book of Souls World Tour in 2017, with back-to-back performances that left fans in awe. The Legacy of the Beast Tour in 2018 further cemented The O2 Arena's status as the band's modern-day home, showcasing Iron Maiden's continued dominance in the metal scene. Most recently, during The Future Past Tour in July 2023, Iron Maiden returned to The O2 Arena for two unforgettable nights. These shows, marked by setlists that spanned the band's illustrious career, saw the arena packed with fans eager to witness the band’s unparalleled live energy. With set times extending late into the night, these performances at The O2 Arena have solidified the venue as the definitive home for Iron Maiden’s reunion era, echoing the band's storied history in their East London roots.
2c9cda872f363d959e8189b029516de0.jpg

Former site of London Astoria (Note: The London Astoria was demolished in 2009).
Address:
143 Charing Cross Rd
Description: The London Astoria has been the site of several notable Iron Maiden-related performances. Most prominently, on June 27th, 1990, Bruce Dickinson and Janick Gers took the stage here. At the time, Janick Gers had just joined Iron Maiden, and he and Bruce had begun recording the band's new album, No Prayer for the Dying, earlier that month. This show at the London Astoria was significant as it was the only concert on the Tattooed Millionaire tour where an Iron Maiden song was performed (The Trooper) excluding "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter," which, at that time, was still considered a Bruce Dickinson solo track before its later release as an Iron Maiden song. Additionally, on December 10th, 1991, Wolfsbane, featuring Blaze Bayley, who would later become Iron Maiden's lead vocalist, also performed at the London Astoria.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Real Address of 22 Acacia Avenue - According to Paul Di'Anno
Address:
22 Markhouse Road
Description: 22 Acacia Avenue" is more than just a fictional address—it's a glimpse into the gritty, emotional world Iron Maiden crafted through their music. The title conjures the image of a typical middle-class suburban street, lined with quiet, orderly homes. Yet, the story behind the song is anything but typical. It’s part of a series of songs centered on Charlotte the Harlot, delving into the pain and complexity of a relationship with a prostitute.

While the true identity of Charlotte has often been shrouded in mystery, Paul Di'Anno, Iron Maiden's original vocalist, offered some insight into her inspiration. According to Di'Anno, Charlotte was based on a real woman known as "High Hill Lil," a notorious figure from Walthamstow, London. Unlike the fictional Acacia Avenue, she actually lived on Markhouse Road, near Leyton. Known for her wild lifestyle, she was a local legend, infamous for her promiscuity and rock-and-roll spirit.

"22 Acacia Avenue" captures this raw and unfiltered reality, contrasting it with the suburban facade, creating a powerful narrative within Iron Maiden's catalog. And if you're curious about what stands at 22 Markhouse Road today? Yes, you guessed it—a Presbyterian church!
Untitled.png

Red Lion Pub in Leytonstone, where Steve Harris offered Paul Di'Anno an audition for Iron Maiden
Address:
638 High Rd Leytonstone London
Description: Trevor Searle, a friend of the band, heard a rumor that the legendary Iron Maiden was looking for a new singer. While both Paul and Loopy were aware of Iron Maiden's prominence on the local pub circuit, they were unsure of how to approach the band about the opportunity. In a twist of fate, Paul and Loopy attended a gig at the Red Lion Pub in Leytonstone, where they unexpectedly ran into Trevor. He informed them that Iron Maiden's bassist, Steve Harris, had just arrived at the pub. Without hesitation, Trevor went to speak with Harris and quickly returned, pulling Paul along to meet the iconic musician. Left alone and feeling somewhat out of place, the Loopy waited anxiously for about ten minutes. Finally, Paul returned, grinning ear to ear, and excitedly announced, "I've got an audition for this week."
xxxxxx.png

Last edited:
Colden Fleece - pub where Dennis informed Clive of the vacant drummer position in Maiden
Address:
167 Capel Rd
Description:
Dennis Stratton and Clive Burr shared a close bond that began in the mid-70s, often meeting at the Golden Fleece pub, nestled within Epping Forest in East London. This pub was more than just a local hangout; it was where their friendship blossomed, with Clive living just behind the pub with his parents. On summer days, the two could frequently be found sitting outside, enjoying a drink together. When Stratton was invited to join Iron Maiden, he noticed a drum set in the studio but had no idea who the band’s drummer was supposed to be. By chance, after a rehearsal, he ran into Clive at the Golden Fleece. Their encounter seemed like fate. Clive asked what Stratton was up to, and when Stratton mentioned that Iron Maiden was looking for a drummer, the connection was made. The next day, Stratton suggested Clive to Steve Harris, who had been struggling to find a suitable drummer due to hearing issues with another candidate. With Stratton's recommendation, Clive Burr joined Iron Maiden, cementing both his and the Golden Fleece's place in the band's history.
xxxxxx.png

The Swan - pub where Rod Smallwood saw Iron Maiden, same night as Paul Di'Anno was arrested and Steve sung the set
Address:
46 Hammersmith Broadway, Greater, London W6 0DZ
Description: Iron Maiden’s history with The Swan pub marks a crucial chapter in their early career, showcasing their gritty beginnings and the challenges they faced on their path to fame. On October 4, 1979, the band was still finding their footing in the competitive London music scene. The Swan, a small venue near the Hammersmith Odeon, became a key place where they started to shape their identity. Rod Smallwood, who would become their long-term manager, first discovered Iron Maiden through their demo, The Soundhouse Tapes. After a failed attempt to see them at The Windsor Castle due to a confrontation with the landlord, Smallwood caught up with the band at The Swan. However, just before the gig, lead singer Paul Di’Anno was arrested for carrying a flick knife. Despite this setback, bassist Steve Harris decided the show must go on, and the band performed without Di’Anno, playing future classics like "Phantom of the Opera" and "Running Free." These early gigs at The Swan were pivotal in establishing Iron Maiden’s reputation. Smallwood, impressed by their resilience and potential, decided to manage the band, guiding them towards becoming one of the most iconic names in heavy metal. The Swan stands as a symbol of Iron Maiden’s determination and early struggles on their road to success.
xxxxxx.png

Wikipedia of that tour shows Maiden scheduled to support Kiss at Wembley Arena on the 8th and 9th of September 1980. The dates have a line through them but are not listed in the 'Cancellations' section.

The Wembley dates are not listed on the Web archive version of Maidens tour list on the official website.

My copy of Best of the Beast with all the dates in it is not currently in my possession so can't check that.

For what it's worth, I cross referenced some of the seemingly cancelled dates on Wikipedia against the official list on web archives. Some are on the official list and some are not. So no help there.

A quick search appears to show that Kiss almost definitely played the gigs. Bootlegs are available on Discogs and pics are easy found. The Wiki for their Unmasked tour lists Girl as support for the UK gigs, Maiden for the rest.

Strangely, Maiden supported Kiss on the 2nd in Italy, played the Marquee in London on the 6th & 7th, missed Wembley on the 8th & 9th (possibly) and then were back supporting Kiss in Germany on the 11th.

Speculation time! Kiss didn't want Maiden supporting them in the UK for fear that Maidens rabid local fans would contribute to Maiden blowing Kiss completely off stage.

Or Maiden didn't want to saturate the market. They toured extensively round the UK in May-July of 1980 and back again in November/December.

Colour me intrigued. Where's @Luisma

Thanks mate! I thought I was going mad.

My understanding is that Iron Maiden supported KISS in mainland Europe in 1980, but not in the UK.

If I am not mistaken, the biggest indoor venue Maiden played at in 1980 was the Hammersmith Odeon, supporting Judas Priest.

Thanks mate! I thought I was going mad.

My understanding is that Iron Maiden supported KISS in mainland Europe in 1980, but not in the UK.

If I am not mistaken, the biggest indoor venue Maiden played at in 1980 was the Hammersmith Odeon, supporting Judas Priest.
I'm still curious as to why Maiden didn't do the Kiss gigs considering they did before and after and were in the UK at the time. My guess is that Kiss saw how lit Maiden were on the Italian gigs and cut them from the UK dates out of rampant fear.

I'm still curious as to why Maiden didn't do the Kiss gigs considering they did before and after and were in the UK at the time. My guess is that Kiss saw how lit Maiden were on the Italian gigs and cut them from the UK dates out of rampant fear.

Maiden did not know that exposure in the UK, as their fanbase at home was growing exponentially that year. Mainland Europe was a completely different story though.

Intersection where Dennis Wilcock invited Bob Sawyer to audition for Iron Maiden
Address:
Intersection of Sewardstone Rd and Lea Valley Rd
Description: Bob Sawyer quote: "I had also been in a band named Nitro with Den Wilcock who by 1976 was fronting Iron Maiden. In December 1976 I was no longer playing for Shady Lady and one day I was in my car at traffic lights (at the junction of Lea Valley rd. and Sewardstone rd, Chingford, Essex, to be precise!) and I heard this voice shout through the window asking me if I was still playing in any band. It was Den Wilcock and also in there were Steve Harris and Dave Murray. A week later I was in Iron Maiden. At that time they were playing in a trailer in this muddy field, you had to wade through all of this muck, it was like the Battle of the Somme."
qqqqq.png

Back