THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 88:
Sons Of Apollo - God Of The Sun
Arch/Matheos - Kindred Spirits

Rush - Xanadu
Rush - La Villa Strangiato

Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons (Nominated by @The Dissident, @Collin)
vs.
Rush - 2112 (Nominated by @The Dissident, @LooseCannon)

Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys (Nominated by @Black Wizard)
vs.
Metallica - ...And Justice For All (Nominated by @Midnight)

Easy vote for ACOS, as “2112” has some noticeably weaker sections that ACOS just doesn’t have. Winner: Dream Theater

Similar situation with “Justice” vs. “Keeper Of The Seven Keys”, though in this case both songs have some noticeable flaws, but the Helloween track’s flaws are much more frequent and egregious. Winner: Metallica

2x Opeth. Don't care for that Savatage song, and Ghost Love Score is only great with Floor, and we're counting studio versions here.

Not really a fan of any of these songs when taken in total. The Opeth tracks have excellent music with awful extreme vocals, while the other tracks are generally pretty good, but have some quirks and weaknesses. I could really flip a coin for both of these, but instead I’ll split the difference and take the more consistent clean vocal song and the more consistent excellent music song.

Winner #1: Savatage - “Morphine Child”
Winner #2: Opeth - “Blackwater Park”

I was wondering why "And Justice" is here and went to check is it really longer than 9 minutes.
Indeed it is.
Awesome.

Boo for both Opeth (still voted for them, tho)

I love Morphine Child, but its theatrical broadwayness doesn't match the grim grittiness of The Moor (even if I consider it to be one of Opeth's most overrated songs). The second match is so insanely tough because the emotion in Ghost Love Score is unparalleled, whereas Blackwater Park is the soundtrack to walking through a rainy forest at night while running from pitchfork-wielding swamp lepers - a situation we've surely all found ourselves in. These are my favorite songs by each band, and answering this question has killed me a little bit inside. But... Blackwater Park. I have a hankering to listen to it more often than Ghost Love Score because I think it's simply a more unique piece of music.

Back