THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 86:
Symphony X - The Accolade
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence

Rush - 2112
Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Dream Theater - The Glass Prison (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666, @MrKnickerbocker)
vs.
Nightwish - The Poet & The Pendulum (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)

Opeth - The Moor (Nominated by @Collin, @Midnight)
vs.
The Ocean - Devonian - Nascent (Nominated by @Night Prowler)

An easy vote for Opeth.

The first match is very hard. I truly think PATP is one of Nightwish’s crowning achievements, but The Glass Prison is just savage from start to finish and is responsible for getting me into Dream Theater. Also it doesn’t have a spoken word section about being raped.

In the first round's battle of the overrated epics we have a Dream Theater song with some cool parts but a lot of water treading, and an instrumental section starting @ 9:42 that's basically Metallica's "Ain't My Bitch" played at double speed. It's up against a heavily overblown latter-era Nightwish song with thin lead vocals, a cringey spoken word interlude, and an even cringier screamed section. Still, the Nightwish track holds together better as a song and is more memorable to my ears. Not thrilled about either choice, but congratusorrylations @KidInTheDark666 (and sorry @MrKnickerbocker), but my choice here is clear. Winner: Nightwish

As usual with Opeth, the music is outstanding while the growls are absolutely abysmal. The clean vocal sections here signal what could have been, and it's a shame we didn't get that version of the song instead, but what can you do. The screamy parts of the Ocean track are annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as Opeth's growls, and the rest of the song is well-constructed and enjoyable to listen to. So, sorry McNollight, but I have to go with @Night Prowler's nominee here. Winner: The Ocean

Voted for Dream Theater (I just can't listen to studio versions of Anette songs, just the versions with Floor) and sadly, Opeth. Sadly, because The Ocean's song is my last remaining nominee...

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 87:
Nightwish - The Poet & The Pendulum
The Ocean - Devonian - Nascent
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison
Opeth - The Moor

Rush - Xanadu (Nominated by @Wogmidget, @Jer)
vs.
Sons Of Apollo - God Of The Sun (Nominated by @Jer)

Arch/Matheos - Kindred Spirits (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)
vs.
Rush - La Villa Strangiato (Nominated by @Midnight, @MindRuler)

The first round features two excellent songs — whoever nominated these should really give themselves a pat on the back! But given this Sophie’s Choice dilemma, I have to say “take my little boy, take my little boy”, as “God Of The Sun” doesn’t demonstrate quite the same level of finesse as “Xanadu”. Congratusorrylations, me — meet the real me! Winner: Rush - “Xanadu”

The second round is actually pretty tough. The Arch/Matheos track was a pleasant surprise when I first heard it, with great music and solid but somewhat meandering vocals. And the Rush instrumental is excellent, though it overuses the “Powerhouse” theme a bit. While I’d like to tip my hat to the underdog here, I suppose my final choice was predestined. Sorry, @KidInTheDark666, but I have to go with MindRighter’s nominee this time. Winner: Rush - “La Villa Strangiato”

Back