THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

What the flying fuck is this matchup? Can't we go back to some Rush against Rush where I can mostly just click randomly? :ninja:

I don't consider ITNOG to be as weak as everyone here, on the contrary. You are right that Glass Prison has the best intro-buildup-riff ever, the first part is supreme, but I admit that I always had problems with the rest, with the bro-metal attitudes, the turntable scratching... Out of the whole 12 step suite, this is probably the only song that I really must force myself to focus and not drift off during the second half. ITNOG is much more consistent throughout, I like the wanky section and its main riff is also absolutely killer, don't you dare deny it.

So even though I realise why sometimes you "must kill even if you advocate for peace", having the Agustine-Aquinas Just War theory, (but then again, the song is very clearly aimed at an altogether different religion) and even if the lyrics are therefore more preachy than Glass Prison's, I'm picking In the Name of God. I still wish I didn't have to choose.

The second. Oh, my. Ghost of Perdition is peak Opeth (well, you could say that Moonlapse Vertigo or Harlequin Forest or Blackwater Park is peak Opeth, but you know what I mean) and Odyssey is peak Symphony X (well, you could say that The Accolade or Fallen or...) and I guess that I'll always take Opeth over Symphony X, so Ghost of Perdition it is, but it's awfully close and I'm not happy about this round at all.

So I'm surprised that Ghost has only two votes (including myself) and I'm surprised that the other voter is Night Prowler. He must really dislike The Odyssey :p I didn't realize Symphony X had that much interest on here.
I've grown to moderately like GoP in the lead-up to seeing them live. The Odyssey is just way too long. I don't have the patience for a 25-minute-long song. And I just like Opeth more, would vote for 50 Opeth songs over The Odyssey probably.

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 92:
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison
Opeth - Ghost Of Perdition

Dream Theater - In The Name Of God
Symphony X - The Odyssey

Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons (Nominated by @The Dissident, @Collin)
vs.
Metallica - ...And Justice For All (Nominated by @Midnight)

Opeth - The Moor (Nominated by @Collin, @Midnight)
vs.
Symphony X - The Odyssey (Nominated by @Diesel 11, @MrKnickerbocker, @LooseCannon)

Here's the thing about this round - just because a song is 9-10+ minutes does not mean that it is an "epic." AJFA is peak Metallica, and it's a fantastic track, but it's a standard song structure with everything just being drawn out. In comparison, The Moor is less archetypal of this, but it's still just a long song with a more progressive take on the "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-yadayada" formula. Ghost of Perdition and Blackwater Park are far more epic in my opinion.

Comparing these tracks to A Change of Seasons and The Odyssey is downright cruel. These mammoths are arguably the strongest works from their respective artists, and are true epics - they have movements, key changes, numerous tempo changes, and an abundance of mood variations. I love all four of these songs, but these are some terribly easy votes.

I would've voted for In the Name of God. I agree with most what Judas has wrote, and there I did a break-down in GMAC thread. link here
And I agree with Det B about AJFA, but I still voted for it. Sue me.

Dream Theater already has a song heading into the semifinals, let’s give this one to Rush. “La Villa Strangiato” is an incredible instrumental.

Also “Blackwater Park”.

Rush x2, because in the case of Opeth, superb music can only compensate for god-awful vocals to a certain point, and that point has finally been reached.

I like Rush, but Xanadu does little for me and it’s against my favorite Opeth song. The other round is closer, but LVS can’t hold up to a DT track with such massive grooves and crunchy riffs and mood changes.

Back