THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

i7QzNSH.jpg

Results of Round 90:
Savatage - Morphine Child
Nightwish - Ghost Love Score

Opeth - The Moor
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Metallica - The Outlaw Torn (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)
vs.
Rush - La Villa Strangiato (Nominated by @Midnight, @MindRuler)

Stratovarius - Visions (Southern Cross) (Nominated by @KidInTheDark666)
vs.
Rush - Xanadu (Nominated by @Wogmidget, @Jer)

For a good minute, I considered voting for Outlaw Torn just so I later say to @KidInTheDark666 "Ha, told you so!"
But it's damn Villa Strangiato. Together with "Xanadu" I think those two tracks are what got me into Rush.
Even if it was any other song, I doubt I'd click on Stratovarius.

I've already commented on these to death, and these aren't particularly close matches, so...

Winner #1: Dream Theater - "In The Name Of God"
Winner #2: Symphony X - "The Odyssey"

The Glass Prison, easily.

Ghost of Perdition is everything Opeth has to offer. It's a perfect song. It's an epic that never overstays its welcome. It ends and you just want it to keep going. So, in that regard, The Odyssey is a better epic. Both of these are, IMO, the best of each band and this vote sucks.

While Ghost of Perdition is a top five Opeth track, The Odyssey combines everything that is great about progressive metal in a "compact" package. Easy vote for Symphony X here.

The first match is much more difficult. One one hand, The Glass Prison was the song that got me into Dream Theater. Upon first hearing it I was stunned; I had never heard something so powerful go on for so long, and I had no idea that bassists and keyboardists could be that good. This was my introduction to progressive music. On the other hand, In the Name of God is an emotionally powerful song combining elite playing with Metallica-esque riffs with amazing groove and a soaring chorus. This is really close, but the Train of Thought closer barely edges out the Six Degrees opener for me.

So I'm surprised that Ghost has only two votes (including myself) and I'm surprised that the other voter is Night Prowler. He must really dislike The Odyssey :p I didn't realize Symphony X had that much interest on here.

I had no problems with the first match. I agree that it's surprising ITNOG made it as far as it did. It's a cool song but not even a top 10 Dream Theater song let alone a top tier epic. The Glass Prison is top tier, on the other hand (although still wouldn't be my choice for a final Dream Theater track).

I went with Ghost of Perdition barely and it probably depends on my mood for the day. It's probably that I prefer Opeth overall and both songs are pretty representative of the two bands. I like that Ghost of Perdition keeps the energy going while Odyssey gets stopped in its tracks a few times with slightly too many solos.

Back