The Clansman

How good is The Clansman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
For the Ed Hunter Tour in 1999, Bruce for some reason decided to alternate the lyrics in the last verse of the Clansman, by putting in words from the third verse:
It's a time wrought with fear
It's a land wrought with change
Ancestors could hear what is happening now
They would turn in their graves
They would all be ashamed
That the land of the free
Has written in chains

This was instead of these lines (taken from the second verse):
Is it right to believe
In the need to be free
It's a time when you die
And without asking why
Can't you see what they do
They are grinding us down
They are taking our land
That belongs to the clans

Bruce continued with this alternation during the two following tours as well (Brave New World and Give Me Ed...) before the song was dropped from the set for the Dance of Death tour.

But for the Legacy of the Beast tour in 2018. when it returned to the set - he decided to sing this track just like the studio version and how Blaze did it live in 1998. This approach continued in 2019 too.

Did the forget how he sang this song from 1999 to 2003 or did Steve finally tell him to stay true to the original? :p

Last edited:
Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

One of IM's best songs! The melodic intro, the rhythm, the quiet lyrics and at the beginning which bring you into an explosive chorus, the melodies, the chorus, Janick playing his solo standing on the speakers, Dave and the drumstick, everything in this song screams "FIGHT FOR YOUR FREEDOM", and Bruce's vocals are ins...

...aw, right.

We're talking about the album version.
Well, it's basically crap. Bad playing, bad singing, bad everything. Maybe their worst performance ever among studio albums. The song itself is very good and it's one of the few times in which 'Arry's fetish for repeated lines during the chorus actually works (yes I'm staring at you both, Seventh Son and Greater Good).
But the performance is not. It's boring. This song is, literally, nothing to me. The best part of the studio version is Brandy's sample.

I'd rank this a 5/10 because, as I said, the song in itself is good, but I lower that to 4/10 because this is the most disappointing Iron Maiden performance of all times (in studio). And I'm in a good mood.

BTW, the Rock in Rio version is a solid 9/10 to me. Maybe a bit more. I won't rank it 10/10 because the Wasted Years riff under the last two choruses is pointless.
Same as my previous post, but each vote to the studio version is lowered by 1.

3/10. Disgusting.

Back