The Clansman

How good is The Clansman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I used to like to song much more than I like it now (probably because it was the only thing that could be salvaged from Virtual XI). It is an enjoyable collection of Steve's clichés that works pretty well live, but the repetitiveness grates a bit. I would have preferred to get The Longest Day, Paschendale or Afraid to Shoot Strangers played as a war epic on the LOTB tour instead.

I prefer the slower Harris gallop than the strange bass intro x 3 on the clansman.
Clansman works excellent in concert too.
In the LOTB in the north american leg… the longest day would work better.

It is an enjoyable collection of Steve's clichés that works pretty well live, but the repetitiveness grates a bit.

You pretty much summed up all the essential stuff there; granted, I really like the song and while Blaze did good job with it, Bruce's more elaborate style of delivery and overall, the intensity of the live performance by the whole band really improves the song a lot and brings the story to life much better. The studio recording isn't bad, but the contrast to the live performances is rather notable, even in Maiden standards.

While definitely not one of absolutely strongest Maiden efforts out there, it's more or less outstanding live value makes it a bit special than you'd expect if you take a "tabula rasa" approach to it. It's one of the few songs that could replace even FOTD if they ever dropped it - The Clansman isn't quite as big song, obviously, but it could definitely serve a similar purpose in the set rather well. Another cool approach would be to throw it into the encore to play sort of a similar role that Blood Brothers did in 2016-17.

Alas, I didn't intend to make this too much of a setlist fantasy thing, I'm merely underlining the rather special qualities of the song, despite it being lacking one at the same time. And it's clearly a very fun one for them to play!

It's a good song and works really good live
I think it could have been better produced. Probably Martin Birch would have told to Steve…Hey Steve, have you noticed that this song has practically the same structure that many others? Yep, the same begining, the same ending…You have to stop doing this or I leave. I'm tired man.

Probably Martin Birch would have told to Steve…Hey Steve, have you noticed that this song has practically the same structure that many others? Yep, the same begining, the same ending…You have to stop doing this or I leave. I'm tired man.

List all the Iron Maiden songs before it that have the same structure.
Then list all the ones that have the same structure as the Wickerman.

If there is anything that’s tired, it’s this argument.

I was kidding mckindog. Be quiet man, do not take this so seriously.
About the songs…Almost The X factor's songs has the same begining and end. In Virtual XI there are 2 or 3 songs too.
But the origin of all of this maybe is Fear of the Dark song. The way that Steve is composing since then is very similar.
About the wickerman is a fantastic opener yep. ;)

Back