The Clansman

How good is The Clansman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Clansman'

Fugazi said:
This is the only track on album I ever listen to, it is a pretty good song something to shake the head to 7/10.

I thought I had already voted for this song... maybe not... I got the option to vote, so I will bump my vote up to a 9/10. What the fuck was I thinking!...  this song is worth more than a 7/10. I like the message in the lyrics, good vocal performance from BB, also like the guitar work on this song.

I swear that my bairns will be born free!

10/10.

10. Amazing song! Great performance by Blaze. This one is great live, it should be put back in the setlist. It would be awesome to scream Freeeeedom! at a Maiden show.

Best track off VXI. That awesome acoustic intro sticks in your head, as does the unforgettable "FREEDOM!" chorus. I mean, how badass is that? Some fantastic emotional riffs and a smooth modulation in the middle brings us to eargasmic soloing from the wrecking crew. Blaze's vocal performance is excellent, but it's kind of cut down by the shitty album production. Hear him sing this song live at Buenos Aires, 98: it's mind blowing, even better than Bruce at RiR. So much to say about this song.

11/10

P.S It's also worth checking out the acoustic cover Blaze and classical guitarist Thomas Zwijsen made:

A fantastic anthem. Beautiful melodies in the beginning and great verses! The chorus in simple but o so perfect, especially when the guitar lick comes in on the two last choruses. The solos are great, just wish that Daves solo were longer then it is!
My only problem is that album version is a little lifeless at times. I prefer the Rock In Rio version (feels like I've said that a couple of times now). Just look how fun they seem to have!

9/10

This one is awesome. It was written so well to fit the theme. There's slower parts, hinting at the emotional sides of clan wars and battles over land. Then there's parts that sound like a bloody war cry, and I can picture the clan army, painted faces, weapons held high, marching along the hills. Excellent song!

An absolute anthem. Yes, it's better with Bruce, but the album version is still one of the best things Blaze has ever put his voice to.
10/10

The gem of this album. Great melodies, an awesome mood, intense buildup. They really did something unique with this song and I don't think they've ever done anything like it since. Even Blaze sounds pretty good on the verses, though the choruses are screaming for Bruce's operatic touch. Had this song been on BNW they'd probably still be playing it live.

I love all the guitar melodies on this. They're simple and a bit "bare" compared to some of the earlier more complex harmonies, but overcomplicating things weren't really necessary here. Both solos are among my favorite Maiden solos.

Then it comes back down to a very rushed version of the intro. Really tense but beautiful. I actually like the guitar tone there, probably the only time I'll say that about this album. The "no no we can't let them take anymore" bit is the prime example of how a repetitive chorus can be powerful.

Outstanding song with one of the best build up and pay off sections they've ever done. Beautiful clean intro and amazingly melodic work from Jan throughout . Anthemic choruses. Nice lyrical theme too.

I don't want to keep getting at Blaze but he is a bit flat on the "We can't let them take anymore" bit. Bruce absolutely smashes it on RiR but the album version is still stellar.

What can we say about this song that hasn't been said? One of the three best tracks of the Blaze era, and one I think needs to make a live comeback sooner rather than later. Freedom! 10/10.

Back