The Clansman

How good is The Clansman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Clansman' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Clansman'

For me a good/but not great song.
Very epic and comes on my mind in the same second I hear the word "Braveheart".

For me, Bruce did it very well during BNW-and GMETID-Tour.

My questions:
Anybody knows who has drawn the Clansman-picture?
And what tha hell is this piece in the landscape on the left side?

[img src=\'http://website.iron.maiden.free.fr/fond/clansman800.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Be(a)st regards,
Maidenaustria

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maidenaustria+Apr 30 2004, 12:34 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maidenaustria @ Apr 30 2004, 12:34 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] And what tha hell is this piece in the landscape on the left side? [/quote]
I think it's a flying saucer in the distance. Or maybe someone is playing frisbee golf and aiming for the Union Jack.

What is the flag in the back (white with a red cross)?

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Apr 30 2004, 10:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Apr 30 2004, 10:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] What is the flag in the back (white with a red cross)? [/quote]
ENGLAND!!!!! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Clansman'

I don´t think that´s a flying-saucer. It might be a shield that one beaten warrior left on the ground when got his arm cut or something like that. Assuming, of course, that the painting is a battlefield. Which seems clear to me [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Clansman'

A very good epic song and easily the best one on the album. And I also agree that Blaze's voice fits much better than Bruce's. Didn't Blaze also record this song on his live record? It could be interesting to compare the different live versions.

'the Clansman'

Communists in The Clansman
Because Maverick asked for it

Disclaimer: The following post is pure and utter BS

Because Maverick is a wanker, I’m going to prove that Iron Maiden had Communist leanings when writing The Clansman. You may think it’s about Scotland’s fight for freedom in early-modern times from England and Edward the Longshanks. You’d be wrong! It’s about Commies! Bloody, dastardly Commies!
Wake alone in the hills
With the wind in your face
This doesn’t refer to the windswept Highlands of Scotland. It’s an obvious reference to the barren empty land of Siberia, to which political dissidents from the Soviet Union were exiled. The poor bugger in this song is forced to live in the Urals (a mountain range).
It feels good to be proud
And be free and a race
That is part of a clan
‘Clan’ here refers to the Collective, or Commune. His ‘race’ is just one member of the Great Party of Workers and Farmers. He’s actually happy to be in the Party, and is likely a friend of Erich Honecker.
And to live on highlands
And the air that you breathe
So pure and so clean
The Soviet Union was one of the worst polluters in the history of mankind. Their propaganda kept telling the poor people, though, that they were breathing clean, crisp air and everything was happy-go-lucky. Especially for those living in the Ukraine and Belarus border region around 1986. Great air there. Yep. Breathe deep boys and girls.

When alone on the hills
With the wind in your hair
With a longing to feel ..
Just to be free
Is it right to believe
In the need to be free
It’s a time when you die
And without asking why
Our hero is now expressing the longing for freedom he feels under the Soviet system. He wants to be ALONE – not in a commune or collective! He wants to feel the freedom of individualism.

Can’t you see what they do
They are grinding us down
They are taking our land
That belongs to the clans
Here we see the hero complaining about the Soviet land redistribution programs. He feels he would be more productive if he were motivated by enlightened self0interest, rather than indoctrinating Party ideology.
Not alone with a dream
Just want to be free
With a need to belong
I am a clansman .....freedom
Our hero is resigning himself to the fact that he’s a Clansman – A Communist. There is not escape, regardless of how much he wants freedom. He will never be alone with his dream, he will always be in the Commune.

It’s a time wrought with fear
It’s a land wrought with change
Ancestors could hear
What is happening now
They would turn in their graves
They would all be ashamed
That the land of the free
Has been written in chains
And I know what I want
This is in reference to East Germany. If the Prussian Junkers of the 18th and 19th centuries could see what Russian domination was doing to their once-mighty and noble lands, they really would have turned in their graves. The land changing, of course, refers to the forced deportation of Germans out of East Prussia after 1945….even cities changed their named (Königsberg became Kaliningrad, etc)
When the timing is right
Then I’ll take what is mine
I am the clansman
He’s only going to take what the Central Committee thinks he should have. Goddamn Commies.
And I swear to defend
And we’ll fight to the end
And I swear that I’ll never
Be taken alive
And I know that we’ll stand
And we’ll fight for our land
This is in reference to the defence of the Soviet Union in World War II. The defence at Stalingrad was characterized by the strategy of “Not one [more] step backward.” Even Stalin began to abandon Commie ideology at this time, appealing instead to Russian nationalism to defend the Motherland. LooseCannon would recommend “Enemy at the Gates” as a good introductory film, because it has absolutely no historical inaccuracies.
And I swear that my bairns will be born free.
Ignore this.
And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I’ll take what I want
I am the clansman .....freedom

And I know what I want when the timing is right
Then I’ll take what is mine I am the clansman
The ‘timing’ refers to the rigidity of the Soviet system. There was no flexibility, and everything had to be done exactly in a certain pre-determined way, often with crappy results.
No, no we can’t let them take anymore
No we can’t let them take anymore
We’ve the land of the free
Freedom
Again, a reference to the defence of Stalingrad by the Commies. (not that the Nazis were any better, of course)

So, there you have it. From now on, I expect you to listen to The Clansman and Mother Russia together, in order to have a proper historical commentary on the perils of communism.

Maverick is a wanker,

Duke.

'the Clansman'

And I apologise for the quotes not working....I don't quite know what's up with that. Mods?

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maidenaustria+Apr 30 2004, 07:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maidenaustria @ Apr 30 2004, 07:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

My questions:
Anybody knows who has drawn the Clansman-picture? I think it is Derek Riggs
And what tha hell is this piece in the landscape on the left side? It's a shield

[img src=\'http://website.iron.maiden.free.fr/fond/clansman800.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Be(a)st regards,
Maidenaustria
[snapback]63571[/snapback]​
[/quote]

'the Clansman'

I believe the proper word is "targe", smaller than a shield and used more to push people out of the way while you strike them with your claymore (sword)! [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Clansman'

Does anyone know if they were inspred by the release of 'Braveheart' when they wrote this? Say what you will for Hollywood films (and no doubt LC will), they do help revitalize interest in historical events. For instance, outside the UK Braveheart led to a revival of awareness of the history of Anglo-Scottish relations. 'Gladiator' spawned a resurgance in interest ing the classics, etc.

I wonder if they were also inspired by the Scottish national hymn, Flower of Scotland. Compare the lyrics of the first verses. Both deal with themes of hills, symbolizing a special connection to the land which Scots feel for their homeland.
first verse of Clansman:
Wake alone in the hills
With the wind in your face
It feels good to be proud
And be free and a race
That is part of a clan
And to live on highlands
And the air that you breathe
So pure and so clean

first verse of Flower of Scotland:
O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit hill and glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

The idea of waiting until the 'time is right' to reclaim the freedom of Scotland permeates both songs as well:
And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I’ll take what I want
I am the clansman ...

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

Of course, there are differences too. Flower of Scotland is written from the prespective of modern person reminiscing about the time when his people made a seemingly suicidal stand against Edward the Longshanks. The Clansman is meant to be from the prespective of someone actually involved in the battles of Stirling and Bannockburn.

An excellen song all around, though.

'the Clansman'

Has anyone ever told people the title to this song and havve them think it was about the KKK?

My dad did, and I had to show him the lyrics befre he'd even listen to the song.

'the Clansman'

Actually, yes...several times...with a disturbing frequency, actually.

'the Clansman'

I love this song is one of my favorites for both the lyrics and the music... and personally I prefer Blaze's singig in this one.

I'm impressed that nobody has posted (or noticed) that the acoustic bass sounds HORRIBLE from 0:56 to 1:05; like if Steve stayed behind and could'nt catch up (not like in RiR, in which it sounds perfect).... I wonder why they did'nt re-made that part, why they published a song with such a harsh error.

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-MaidenColombia+Sep 25 2005, 07:25 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MaidenColombia @ Sep 25 2005, 07:25 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm impressed that nobody has posted (or noticed) that the acoustic bass sounds HORRIBLE from 0:56 to 1:05; like if Steve stayed behind and could'nt catch up (not like in RiR, in which it sounds perfect).... I wonder why they did'nt re-made that part, why they published a song with such a harsh error.
[snapback]119292[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Absolutely agree on that - the bass sounds really jerky and stilted.

Apart from that, I really like this song and consider it the best on the album. Interesting lyrics, good instrumentally and a great chorus. 4.5 stars [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-macunaima+Jan 2 2006, 07:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Jan 2 2006, 07:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm one of those people who thinks that anyone who prefers Blaze to Bruce is fucked up.  Bruce has a better voice, is a better singer and is a much better songwriter.   
[snapback]126248[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Just out of curiosity, are you comparing their work solely in Iron Maiden, or are you also taking their solo careers into account?

Here's my opinon:

"Bruce has a better voice"
Their voices are quite different. It's like comparing apples and oranges. That doesn't mean you can't have a favorite (I prefer oranges), but comparisons can't tell the whole story. I also prefer Bruce's voice, but I think Blaze is great too.

"is a better singer"
Aside from quality of voice and songwriting (addressed above and below), what other criteria are there to judge these guys? Stage presence. I've never seen Blaze live, aside from the infamous Trooper in Chile video, and I've only heard 3 Blaze-era boots. But, with all due respect to Blaze, Bruce wins this category easily in my opinion.

"is a much better songwriter"
With respect to their work in Maiden, I agree (though I'd remove the word 'much'). When solo careers are taken into account, it becomes a very difficult choice. I think Blaze (the band) has a lot of great songs. If you ask me to choose which is better, "Powerslave" or "Stare At The Sun", I think my head would explode. When all is considered, Bruce is probably the winner, but only by a narrow margin.

So all in all, I think Bruce is better than Blaze. However, the degree of superiority isn't as large as mac* thinks**.

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']* I hope you don't mind if I call you mac.

** Remember, all of the above is just my opinion. I do not claim to be stating facts.[/span]

'the Clansman'

[!--QuoteBegin-snakehips666+Mar 21 2005, 11:12 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(snakehips666 @ Mar 21 2005, 11:12 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I believe the proper word is "targe", smaller than a shield and used more to push people out of the way while you strike them with your  claymore (sword)! [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]100249[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think it's not a shield, I looks more like a palace.

Re: 'the Clansman'

SinisterMinisterX said:
I think it's a flying saucer in the distance. Or maybe someone is playing frisbee golf and aiming for the Union Jack.

What is the flag in the back (white with a red cross)?

And what the hell is a Union Jack doing there anyway?

Re: 'The Clansman'

This is the only track on album I ever listen to, it is a pretty good song something to shake the head to 7/10.

Daily Song: The Clansman

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Clansman

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

See below. FREEEEEEDOMM!!!! 10/10.

Back