The Book Of Souls (song not album)

How good is The Book of Souls on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Was fekso banned because he gave this song a 1? I hope so. :mad:
No, he was banned because of this:
Dickson traditionally writes short, fast songs. Here it seems he wants to have a go at the progressive concept. I dont know, it feels as if it was made to be long for the sake of being long. 1/10
Matic never forgave him the two missing letters, and that's where it all started. Fact.

Just imagine if “The Legacy” ended without the acoustic bit. It would be one of the most sudden stops in the Maiden discography.
Though, I still defend my opinion for TRATB and The Legacy outro.

Edit: I like the outro for TRATB more than the outro for TBOS. The Legacy could have been without it imo.
Edit 2: TRATB outro indeed fits the song quite well.

Last edited:
Surprised to see I hadn't commented on this song sooner. It's a solid 10 for me, best on the album. In fact, this song is up there with Starblind as being my absolute favorite Iron Maiden song written to date. That opening riff reminds me of Powerslave + Mother Russia and I love how mean it is. It's thick and heavy and it's straight up 80s Maiden. I love the snake-like and chanty verses as well. Then the song kicks into "fast mode" with the riff from Losfer Words just tearing shit up. Maiden doesn't do that too often anymore: start in the middle and then increase the intensity. At least not like this. Overall to me this song is Powerslave 2: The Sequel and it's absolutely amazing. It's the song I'd use to introduce Maiden if I were ever asked.

Just phenomenal. Main riff has loads of subtle variations during the repetitions that if you'ld blink you'ld miss them, i.e. bass changing octaves, guitar harmonies. Top quality vocal performance (Ascending the throne wearing feathers and shells), and love the aggressive rhythm section during the tempo change. 10/10

The best song on the album and a top 10 maiden song overall for me.

Everything after 5:48 when Nicko comes in with that drum line is pure magic and one of the best things Maiden has ever done. And Bruce's Vocals in the last half of the song are among his finest.

This is one of the rare songs for Maiden for me that sounds better on the album than live.

By far the best song on the album. The later section is probably one of my favourite Maiden-moments ever. From Dave's solo 6 minuter in and the vocal melody afterwards the song is just pure ecstatic brilliance. Also adore Nicko's drumming on this one.

This song talks about the "fall of the yeasts? And about their culture?"
here he speaks of Christ?

"A life that’s full of all the wealth and riches
Can never last for an eternity
After living in a golden paradise
The ultimate sacrifice
"

This verse again speaks of Christ;

"Ascending the throne wearing feathers and shells
He brought back their lives from the void
Alien invasion brings nothing, but death
Mass exodus and plant life destroyed "

This song talks about the "fall of the yeasts? And about their culture?"
here he speaks of Christ?

"A life that’s full of all the wealth and riches
Can never last for an eternity
After living in a golden paradise
The ultimate sacrifice
"

This verse again speaks of Christ;

"Ascending the throne wearing feathers and shells
He brought back their lives from the void
Alien invasion brings nothing, but death
Mass exodus and plant life destroyed "
Pretty sure that a song about the fall of the Mayan culture isn’t talking about Christ.

Pretty sure that a song about the fall of the Mayan culture isn’t talking about Christ.
I was just impressed by the lyrics I mentioned ... but you do not know, he can also talk about Christ. But I see that you are perpendicular to it.

Rather speaks that all this created by the Mayan civilization calendar gave meaning to their lives for self speaks "He brought back their lives from the void"

Well, art can be interpreted different ways by different people - this is normal - however, this song has a stated purpose. The golden paradise refers to the Mayan civilization, which was quite laden with gold as a resource (one of the reasons why Spain attacked it so aggressively).

I think there's a little Euro/Christian-centrism in trying to read Christ into lyrics that are objectively not about the Christian faith.

Well, art can be interpreted different ways by different people - this is normal - however, this song has a stated purpose. The golden paradise refers to the Mayan civilization, which was quite laden with gold as a resource (one of the reasons why Spain attacked it so aggressively).

I think there's a little Euro/Christian-centrism in trying to read Christ into lyrics that are objectively not about the Christian faith.
It is generally to blame that I do not know the history of Mayan. and that I do not know English well. Harris is not a Christian? He has shown it in his lyrics! The pilgrim is one of them!

I use Google Translate. I have so many questions about the songs. I want to ask things to participate in discussions and it is difficult.
lyricstranslate.com this site i help to find the lyrics in greek!

It is generally to blame that I do not know the history of Mayan. and that I do not know English well. Harris is not a Christian? He has shown it in his lyrics! The pilgrim is one of them!
The Pilgrim’s lyrics were written by Janick.

When I said Red and Black was missing a lyrical narrative and dynamic contrast, The Book of Souls delivers at the level of classic Maiden. This song is incredible and the further in time we go the more I think that you could make a strong case for this being the best modern Maiden epic. It’s all there: the classic riffs, excellent solos, evocative lyrics. The drums are thunderous. It feels like each band member has more to do here than on some of the shorter more middling tracks from the album and you can feel that energy in everybody’s playing. The theme is classic Maiden too. Easy 10.

PS not really a criticism as the song is fine as is, but they could’ve added 2 or 3 minutes and still have an all time classic.

Back