The Best Headphones To Listen To Quality Music

Hi there,
I would like to know the experience of users in this forum about a good headphone to listen to Maidens Hours and in every places such as inside a car or in public or while walking , I need a pair of Headphones with good sound quality for Iron Maiden songs and it must covers full ear and I want it to be closed design , It means it'll cover the sound , not going out or not hear the noises outside of the headphones.
Is Creative Aurvana Live good for me?
Please Help.
Thanks and Best Regards.

Re: The best Headphones for Iron Maiden :D

Real Maiden Fan said:
Hi there,
I would like to know the experience of users in this forum about a good headphone to listen to Maidens Hours and in every places such as inside a car or in public or while walking , I need a pair of Headphones with good sound quality for Iron Maiden songs and it must covers full ear and I want it to be closed design , It means it'll cover the sound , not going out or not hear the noises outside of the headphones.
Is Creative Aurvana Live good for me?
Please Help.
Thanks and Best Regards.

I have no clue what your price range is, but if your talking good quality like you said then;

Monster Turbine Copper Edition
Monster Turbine Gold Edition (Cheaper than the Coppers, though not as analytical, they are a bit more colored with more bass.)
Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Sennheiser IE8

I don't own the IE8's as I'm not a big fan of the Sennheiser signature sound, but they are high quality headphones.

If you're looking for something cheaper than those, then the Head Direct RE0's are probably the best headphone made that's under $150, though they can have issues with monophonics so they should be worn with cables over the ear as opposed to hanging down.

Most portable headphones under $100 are all the exact same parts, designed to look nice, but have nothing worth paying $100 for inside. The RE0's are the exception to the rule.

Thanks for your kind reply  :ok:
My price range is less than 200 US$s ;
I cannot find Monster Headphones you mentioned in Google , Please post the links here,
Please note that I would like to have (I don't know it's name exactly!)those ear covering Headphones , not those In-Ear's like Audio Technica ATH-CK10 and Sennheiser IE8.

I used to have  pair of Sony MDR-1206s, and they were fabulous!  Very "flat" response and great clarity.

If you are in the US Amazon is having a huge sale on the 2 Monster headphones.  The Coppers are usually $400 and they are going for $225 and the Golds for under $200.  The Audio Technicas look like they are out of stock every where currently.  That happens with them from time to time, I think they are made in batches.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-PRO-High-Performance-Speakers/dp/B002EL4RIO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282943187&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-PRO-High-Performance-Speakers/dp/B002EL4RIE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282943187&sr=8-2

DO NOT buy them on eBay.  They are being counterfeited and sold cheap.  You can find YouTube videos where people show how well the counterfeit is being done and how hard it is to tell the difference just by looks.

Here's the link to buy the RE0's.  http://head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

If you really want to read up on headphones, got to Head-fi.org.  Do a search on the forums for whatever model you are interested in, and you'll find some serious in depth info.  I wouldn't put too much stock in CNET reviews.  Their review of the Monster headphones said they came in 2 different colors, completely oblivious to the fact that they were actually 2 completely different models, with different sounds, and they appear have no clue what soundstaging or separation is.

Here's a good post to start with, I am assuming you are looking for headphones that don't need to powered by an amp for your purposes.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-100-iems-compared-westone-um3x-turbine-pro-copper-added-08-18

If you are looking for over the ear headphones, the Beyer Dynamic DT990 are great for Metal.  They run between $250-$400 depending on where you buy them.  They aren't flat, but they are a lot of fun for metal.

I have a pretty extensive headphone collection and several different headphone amps and DAC's, it's my favorite way of listening to music.  Not a good hobby if your trying to save money though.   :(

Edit: Also just my personal opinion because some people really dig them, but stay away for from the Klipsch Image S4's.  They cost the same as the RE0's but aren't in the same league.  

I always have ear congestion with in-ear phones that comes with mp3 players  :down: Do you think I'll have this problem with Monster Turbine Pro Copper?
I don't know which type of them are good for me? In-Ear's or over the ear headphones?? I just a pair of headphones that cancels external sounds as possible it can,I don't know,If Monster Turbine Pro's doesn't cause ear congestion I think they could be good for me?

Real Maiden Fan said:
I always have ear congestion with in-ear phones that comes with mp3 players  :down: Do you think I'll have this problem with Monster Turbine Pro Copper?
I don't know which type of them are good for me? In-Ear's or over the ear headphones?? I just a pair of headphones that cancels external sounds as possible it can,I don't know,If Monster Turbine Pro's doesn't cause ear congestion I think they could be good for me?

I think if you have ear problems you should probably stay away from in ears, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by ear congestion.  The Monster Turbines work on the same principal as other IEM's.  You need to use the proper size tip to create a complete seal in the ear and it should cancel all outside noise.  The Monsters come with 4 different types of tips including all 5 sizes of their Super Tip Foam and Super Tip Gel which sell for $30 on their own.  You can also try other tips, the Sony Hybrid tips match well with them.  You may just need to find a tip that works for your ear, in both size and material.  I find the Monsters are very comfortable.  

I can't give you much advice on over the ear headphones that work with an MP3 player, as all of my over ear headphones are of a higher impedance than an MP3 player can drive and are intended for use with a dedicated headphone amp setup, and they aren't suited for moving around with.  One that a lot of people seem to like for MP3 players is the Sennheiser px200, I've never heard it though, but my wife uses it's predecessor, the PX100 and it's pretty good for what it is, it's semi open though so it's not noise canceling.

Edit:  Here's a long review and discussion of portable over-ear headphones on Head-Fi.org http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-46-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-em7-added-08-22

If you want bass don't get those RE0's

I prefer bass and have purchased and loved the following earphones: Sony EX-71SL, Creative EP-630, and Sennheiser CX-300. All under $30USD and can be found on Amazon.

My next IEM purchase will be the Hippo VB's, they are well known amongst audiophiles as a quality IEM with emphasis on bass for under $100. That website is a great place for quality earphones and headphones.

Machiventa said:
If you want bass don't get those RE0's

I prefer bass and have purchased and loved the following earphones: Sony EX-71SL, Creative EP-630, and Sennheiser CX-300. All under $30USD and can be found on Amazon.

My next IEM purchase will be the Hippo VB's, they are well known amongst audiophiles as a quality IEM with emphasis on bass for under $100. That website is a great place for quality earphones and headphones.

Yeah the RE0's are not for bassheads.  They do have bass, and it sounds great but it is definitely not boosted in anyway.  The Hippo's are a really good choice in that price range if you are looking for something that emphasizes bass. 

Also the type of tip you use has a large effect on how the bass sounds as does making sure you get a proper seal, so keep that in mind if you do go with in ears.

Twarkle said:
I think if you have ear problems you should probably stay away from in ears, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by ear congestion.  The Monster Turbines work on the same principal as other IEM's.  You need to use the proper size tip to create a complete seal in the ear and it should cancel all outside noise.  The Monsters come with 4 different types of tips including all 5 sizes of their Super Tip Foam and Super Tip Gel which sell for $30 on their own.  You can also try other tips, the Sony Hybrid tips match well with them.  You may just need to find a tip that works for your ear, in both size and material.  I find the Monsters are very comfortable. 

I can't give you much advice on over the ear headphones that work with an MP3 player, as all of my over ear headphones are of a higher impedance than an MP3 player can drive and are intended for use with a dedicated headphone amp setup, and they aren't suited for moving around with.  One that a lot of people seem to like for MP3 players is the Sennheiser px200, I've never heard it though, but my wife uses it's predecessor, the PX100 and it's pretty good for what it is, it's semi open though so it's not noise canceling.

Edit:  Here's a long review and discussion of portable over-ear headphones on Head-Fi.org http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-46-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-em7-added-08-22
I mean that I feel there's some air in my ears if I listen to Iron Maiden at 3/4 sound volume after 1-2 hours..not a real congestion , I mean I feel that I have ear congestion , like when you have a cold.
You mean Monster Turbine Pro's are better than over the ear headphones for mp3 players? My mp3 player is Samsung YP-F1.
Though I think I don't have ear problems because I've visited a doctor and there wasn't any problem or medicine for it , I think my ears are sensitive for noisy and loud songs like metal??!
PS:I think Monster Turbine Pro's are good , Which do you suggest me to buy for listen to Iron Maiden songs? Copper or Gold?

Real Maiden Fan said:
I mean that I feel there's some air in my ears if I listen to Iron Maiden at 3/4 sound volume after 1-2 hours..not a real congestion , I mean I feel that I have ear congestion , like when you have a cold.
You mean Monster Turbine Pro's are better than over the ear headphones for mp3 players? My mp3 player is Samsung YP-F1.
Though I think I don't have ear problems because I've visited a doctor and there wasn't any problem or medicine for it , I think my ears are sensitive for noisy and loud songs like metal??!
PS:I think Monster Turbine Pro's are good , Which do you suggest me to buy for listen to Iron Maiden songs? Copper or Gold?

What I meant about about over the ear earphones was simply that I don't have much experience with the type that are compatible with an MP3 player.  The models I own, Beyer Dynamic DT 990's, AGK 701's, and Beyer Dynamic T1's specifically simply have too high of an impedance to work with an MP3 player, that's why they are used with separate headphone amps and DAC's, though a receiver with an headphone out would likely work but not sound anywhere close to a dedicated headphone setup.  MP3 players just can't push enough juice to power headphones of 250ohms and up.  

There are plenty of them that are designed with lower impedance for use with portable players, but since I use IEM's with I'm not familiar with over the ears for MP3 players.

As far as which Turbine to get, the over simplified breakdown is this;  The Coppers are a pretty flat response headphone, they don't change the intended sound, they represent it they way it was recorded.  They have plenty of bass and it sounds great but it's not over the top.  The Golds emphasize the bass and and aren't quite as analytical, they are also a bit cheaper.  I prefer the Copper's.  They both work great with MP3 players and will sound even better when used with a source with more juice.

Remember, that in order to get the bass to sound correct you need to make sure you choose a tip that fits your ear snugly, and creates a nice tight seal.  As far as the congestion, your saying your ears feel like there is some air in them after one to two hours.  Just take a 15-30 minute break from listening.  Remember the affect of perceived volume and don't be fooled by it.  The longer you listen, the more your ears will adjust to the volume and start perceiving it as not loud enough and then you in turn raise the volume.  Don't fall into that trap, especially with in ears.  3/4 volume on your player is plenty to drive the Turbines.

Also as I said in an earlier post, if you end up buying the Turbines make sure you buy them from an authorized dealer.  Not just because of the counterfeiting, but also because Monster has a great warranty where they will replace your Turbines one time for free if they break for any reason, even if you destroy them yourself, and they actually do honor that warranty as long as you have your receipt and purchased it from a authorized dealer.  (Overstock.com is not an authorized dealer, Amazon is).  Monster says the burn in time it takes for the Turbines to settle into their final sound is 20 hours of play, but I think most people feel they are done changing at around the 100 hour mark.  

Finally I'm interested in Monster Turbine Copper but I have a fear that these In-Ear earphones might be bad for ears if you listen to iron maiden with Bruce's high flying vocals and their army of guitars!??

One that a lot of people seem to like for MP3 players is the Sennheiser px200, I've never heard it though, but my wife uses it's predecessor, the PX100 and it's pretty good for what it is, it's semi open though so it's not noise canceling.
Real Maiden Fan, from personal experience with the PX100 and PX200 respectively, I would urge you to stay away from these models if you're still looking for headphones (as opposed to earplugs). I've had the PX200 as my very first closed-back, supra-aural pair of phones and I was blasted away by their sound because I had no reference at the time other than cheap Sony's, which were open. I actually got the PX200 when I was just starting out with Iron Maiden, in 2005. What I can tell you is, compared to any open or semi-open headphones, closed-back is always a good idea for metal because they just drive the middle frequencies a lot more into your ears. There are open headphones that can produce the same feeling of "pressure" on your ears with the mids, but closed-back simply gets all of the sound, including the all-important mids (guitars!) right into your ears, without air in between, if your phones are sitting snugly on them. But that's where the PX200 don't shine; they have a very flimsy construction that can easily break when you don't treat them well, and they also don't fit on everyone's ears because they are so small. They do draw a remarkable bass for the size, but I find that especially for metal, if you have overly much bass, it tends to get muddy. There are better phones than the PX200 just when it comes to bass playback, and then the construction was what ultimately killed the PX200 for me - the cable insulation started to get cut up, then it ripped away slowly over time and the exposed wires broke. End of a headphone pair's life.

Especially for cabling, I recommend that you get a pair of phones that have detachable cables, so that you can swap them out in case they break (good cables don't, but you get the idea). There's a pair of phones that I highly recommend as a substitute for the PX200, if you're interested in having mobile, comfortable and lightweight phones that you can get around with - the AKG K 450 (without noise cancelling) or K 470 (with noise cancelling). I have no idea how good the NC is on the 470 since I don't own them, but I do own the 450 ever since my PX200 broke and they are far superior in sound quality, construction and comfort. They are very well designed, can be folded down easily, come with a box to store them, have two detachable cables that are incredibly thin (one cable only on the left side!) yet very robust, and the pads on the phones are soft like velvet and will really suck themselves down on your ears with ease. The headband is also padded nicely, so they are very comfortable to wear (important for me as I tend to get headaches from unpadded headbands quickly).

The sound of the AKG K's is very distinct, with the highs being very smooth and easy on the ears, yet very defined. They lack the ultra high detail you'd need for production work, but for listening they are a joy that will keep your ears fresh for a long time. The mids are extremely punchy, but you can turn the volume up (and they are quite loud too on an iPod) without feeling like your head explodes (Bruce's vocals simply sound great). As for the bass, I have noticed after over a year that it is a little muddy at times and not as precise as it might be with ear-cupping phones with larger drivers, but the bass is very enjoyable no matter what music you listen to. Basically, I think they have a very slightly boosted low-end and very finely cut high-end, with the mids untouched and pretty flat. For rock and metal, female and male vocals, these are great. And last time I checked, they cost between 70 and 100 Euros; however the K 470 with noise cancelling might be more.

One more thing, do *not* buy the K 430. These look similar, but are cheaper and sound cheaper too. 450 or 470 only! And AKG really makes good products; I've used headphones and studio mics from them and I like the brand a lot more than Sennheiser by now.

Oh, about your ear problems, I think I know what you're referring to. I have perfectly good ears (says the doctor), but after listening to loud music (while producing especially) for a few hours, sometimes I get the feeling that my left ear "closes", as if I had air pressure on it. Sometimes that is accompanied by a low noise in my ear. I know at that point I *must* stop and take a break doing something relaxing, until it goes away. It's nothing that is permanent or like an illness, but my ears seem to be sensitive too. Take care of your ears if you have experienced this phenomenon; never go to metal concerts without ear protection (there is very good protection for a fair price from brands like Alpine; you can get them in any music gear store) and don't overdo it with long, loud headphone sessions.

I hope you'll let us know what gear you're getting!

If you need all features in one headphone then it is better if you purchase it from the big showroom because if you purchase it from other places like small shops then you wont find this type of headlphones. They will charge high price but the quality will be good and if you purchase from out side you wont get quality one.

I use a pair Beyerdynamic DT770's amped via an Ibasso D10 DAC/Amp and I'm in love with the sound. :ok:

Basically, the most important question here is: What is your budget? That's more or less going to narrow things down a lot for you.

"Best Headphones" have a lot to do with bang-for-the-buck/value-for-money...

For around $15, Koss KSC75's are great.
For around $80, Head-Direct RE0's are great.
For around $175, Beyerdynamic DT770's are great.
For around $300, AKG K701's are great.
For around $600, the Grado RS1's are great.
For around $1400, the Sennheiser HD800's are great.
For around $2400, the Sony Qualia 10's are great.

..and a lot of these headphones shine when paired with a good DAC and/or headphone amp so... yeah, budget? :D

I'm a big fan of my Grado SR-80i headphones.  They are not closed-design, but even if that rules them out for RealMaidenFan, others might be in the market too.  They cost about $100, and sound fabulous.  Here are a couple reviews, along with Grado's web page summarizing other reviews:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Grado-SR80i/
http://hometheaterreview.com/grado-sr80i-dynamic-headphones-reviewed/
http://www.headphonesolutions.com/grado-sr80-headphones.html
http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr80.htm

Back