The Beatles

Yes I can see how others may like this more. E.g. just look at the lists of MindRuler and my son. The story is indeed compelling, witty.
I'm afraid I'm not that captivated by the vocal melody in the verses which is a big thing in the song.

Last edited:
I get that sentiment. I personally like how it flows in and out of the (bridge? chorus?) harmonized section, while still keeping that "talking", nonchalant vibe all the way throughout.

The Beatles have so many excellent songs that I don’t think I can fault you for only ranking it #49. :p

I'm stuck at 58 songs as of now. It is a progress nonetheless.

I also think I have the top 3 picked. Man, this is really inefficient, time-wise.

About time for another song. Sorry for shaking up the order all the time. A while back I had this one a bit higher, but now I say it can go to 50. Meaning that Twist and Shout and Norwegian Wood move up in my top 50.

48 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) / Rubber Soul (1965)
For a long while this song was not in my top 50. But it jumped in. The best part, by far, is the harmony.
The lyrics are very dry and give a good look into the mind (and drastic actions!) of the visitor.
49 Twist and Shout / Please Please Me (1963)
This song is pretty repetitive but I like the intensity of it. Of course John gives it all (had nothing left afterwards; first take and that was it) but I also dig Ringo's drumrolls here. With headphones I can focus more on his playing, and it's good fun. The repetitiveness of the song, also of that riff and the sort of stoic backing vocals make an interesting contrast with the looser role for John and Ringo.

50 I Wanna Be Your Man / With the Beatles (1963)
Yes, yes I know... dumb, simplistic lyrics, hardly any variation in the song. But man, this grooves! I read it has a "heavy Bo Diddly beat".
I like the constant drive of the rhythm guitars, the roughness of the solo and there's a cool Ringo drumroll around 1:50.
I also like this (unofficial) instrumental version:

51 & 52: the two songs that just didn't make my top 50:
51 I Saw Her Standing There / Please Please Me (1963)
I like how this no nonsense approach sounds. Clear sounding, upclose electric guitars, neat, cool riffs (especially the fast one by Harrison?), fine solo.

52 You Never Give Me Your Money / Abbey Road (1969)
Really fine melancholic beginning with contrasting lyrics having a different emotion (rather angry instead).
The next jumpy section is sort of light and fun, not that much my cup of tea musically... then "Oh that magic feeling" is a fine part.
I also like the rocking section when Paul continues singing. Then that lovely guitar bit starting @ 2:48.
This one has good ideas, and I can see why people might have this higher. My son surely has this higher in his list which he is busy with at this moment. For me it is just not as grabbing as 51 other songs, and naturally this says a lot about the quality of the Beatles catalogue.
The One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, all good children go to Heaven lyric was taken by Bad Religion who were (especially Brett Gurewitz) big Beatles fans, and used in the chorus of their song Anesthesia (from the album Against the Grain, 1990).
53 and beyond: 53 plus 54-83 in chronological order.
"I've Got a Feeling" was the last of this bunch I doubted about, so that one can be considered as my number 53:

01 Please Mr. Postman / With The Beatles (1963)
02 Sie Liebt Dich / single (March 1964)
03 I Call Your Name / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
04 Slow Down / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
05 A Hard Day's Night / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
06 I Should Have Known Better / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
07 Honey Don't / Beatles for Sale (1964)
08 Bad Boy / Beatles VI (June 1965)
09 Help / Help! (1965)
10 I Need You / Help! (1965)
11 Yesterday / Help! (1965)
12 Think for Yourself / Rubber Soul (1965)
13 Michelle / Rubber Soul (1965)
14 I'm Looking Through You / Rubber Soul (1965)
15 In My Life / Rubber Soul (1965)
16 Rain / single (June 1966)
17 Love You To / Revolver (1966)
18 Yellow Submarine / Revolver (1966)
19 For No One / Revolver (1966)
20 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
21 With a Little Help of My Friends / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
22 Lucy Ia The Sky With Diamonds / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
23 Fixing A Hole / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
24 I Am the Walrus / Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
25 Back in the U.S.S.R. / White Album (1968)
26 The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill / White Album (1968)
27 Don't Pass Me By / White Album (1968)
28 Old Brown Shoe / single (May 1969)
29 Two of Us / Let It Be (1970)
30 Get Back / Let It Be (1970)
31 I've Got a Feeling / Let It Be Naked version (no. 53)

Last edited:
Interesting that “I Wanna Be Your Man” crept into your list. It’s not a personal favorite, but it is one that makes you wanna move your head to.

Last edited:
47 Something / Abbey Road (1969)
I love the production and Ringo's drum beat here. Such a simple, yet effective beat. You hear it very well but it does not sit in the way of anything else.
I had to get used to this song. It has grown on me and it managed to creep in my top 50. There is a very serene mood with memorable string orchestration. The lovely guitar solo and Ringo's untypical rhythm underneath bring nice variation. I get a bit impatient in the final 50 seconds. I am not very fond of having to hear that whole last verse again, except for Paul's superb basslines. I think he may be doing different things throughout the whole song.

For a long while this song was not in my top 50. But it jumped in. The best part, by far, is the harmony.
The lyrics are very dry and give a good look into the mind (and drastic actions!) of the visitor.
This song is pretty repetitive but I like the intensity of it. Of course John gives it all (had nothing left afterwards; first take and that was it) but I also dig Ringo's drumrolls here. With headphones I can focus more on his playing, and it's good fun. The repetitiveness of the song, also of that riff and the sort of stoic backing vocals make an interesting contrast with the looser role for John and Ringo.
Yes, yes I know... dumb, simplistic lyrics, hardly any variation in the song. But man, this grooves! I read it has a "heavy Bo Diddly beat".
I like the constant drive of the rhythm guitars, the roughness of the solo and there's a cool Ringo drumroll around 1:50.
I like how this no nonsense approach sounds. Clear sounding, upclose electric guitars, neat, cool riffs (especially the fast one by Harrison?), fine solo.

Really fine melancholic beginning with contrasting lyrics having a different emotion (rather angry instead).
The next jumpy section is sort of light and fun, not that much my cup of tea musically... then "Oh that magic feeling" is a fine part.
I also like the rocking section when Paul continues singing. Then that lovely guitar bit starting @ 2:48.
This one has good ideas, and I can see why people might have this higher. My son surely has this higher in his list which he is busy with at this moment. For me it is just not as grabbing as 51 other songs, and naturally this says a lot about the quality of the Beatles catalogue.
The One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, all good children go to Heaven lyric was taken by Bad Religion who were (especially Brett Gurewitz) big Beatles fans, and used in the chorus of their song Anesthesia (from the album Against the Grain, 1990).
"I've Got a Feeling" was the last of this bunch I doubted about, so that one can be considered as my number 53:

09 Help / Help! (1965)
20 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
21 With a Little Help of My Friends / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Last edited:
Something is truly remarkable. I think George was truly on the same tier as John and Paul, it just took time for him to emerge as the powerful songwriter he was. But just look at all the songs he wrote for The Beatles:

Don’t Bother Me
I Need You
You Like Me Too Much
Think for Yourself
If I Needed Someone
Taxman
Love You To
I Want to Tell You
Within You Without You
Blue Jay Way
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Piggies
Long, Long, Long
Savoy Truffle
Only a Northern Song
It’s All Too Much
Something
Here Comes the Sun
I Me Mine
For You Blue
The Inner Light
Old Brown Shoe

So many classics that he penned that deserve more attention. I love his introspective, Indian-influenced pieces like “The Inner Light” and “Within You Without You” — and “Long, Long, Long”, a true ‘hidden gem’ from the band. And then his more emotional rock / soft rock songs like “Something”, “Here Comes the Sun”, and of course “While My Gently Weeps”, which is up there in my own list and one of my favorite of the band’s real *rock* songs.

But then there’s also the less emotive and more jugular pop / rock numbers like the bouncy “Savoy Truffle”, or his first solo song “Don’t Bother Me”, or the beloved “Taxman”. He’s got a lot of depth to him that I think people overlook because John and Paul are like... possibly the two greatest writers in music history. But George was on that level too, it just took time for him to emerge from his shell.

46 When I'm Sixty-Four / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
At first, this one felt as some sort of humpty dumpty children's song (melody and rhythm in verses). But when that chorus starts I'm struck by that truly beautiful, melancholic melody Paul is singing. I love that interplay with the backing vocals as well.

I love the production and Ringo's drum beat here. Such a simple, yet effective beat. You hear it very well but it does not sit in the way of anything else.
I had to get used to this song. It has grown on me and it managed to creep in my top 50. There is a very serene mood with memorable string orchestration. The lovely guitar solo and Ringo's untypical rhythm underneath bring nice variation. I get a bit impatient in the final 50 seconds. I am not very fond of having to hear that whole last verse again, except for Paul's superb basslines. I think he may be doing different things throughout the whole song.

09 Help / Help! (1965)

One of those Beatles songs it’s hard to dislike. Paul’s singing approach is definitely quaint for lack of a better world. Very fun. That said, if I had to pick, this is probably my least favorite from Sgt Pepper, but that speaks more to the quality of the whole album than the weakness of this song.

45 There's a Place / Please Please Me (1963)
I'm not a huge lover of the harmonica but in this number it rings a very melancholic bell. Well done John Lennon. This is a wonderful little song with lyrics I like (the "And it's my mind and there's no time when I'm alone" bit). The "In my mind there's no sorrow" bridge I probably like the most because of the melody. It happens only once, but then again, it makes it the more special.

46 When I'm Sixty-Four / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
At first, this one felt as some sort of humpty dumpty children's song (melody and rhythm in verses). But when that chorus starts I'm struck by that truly beautiful, melancholic melody Paul is singing. I love that interplay with the backing vocals as well.

09 Help / Help! (1965)

Last edited:
I’ve always thought of “There’s a Place” as a hidden gem of Please Please Me. Not one of the greatest of the band’s discography, IMO, but a very nice little song regardless. “Not a Second Time” from With the Beatles is another, a song that isn’t an all time favorite but I like it and very few people ever mention it because of the other highs on the album.

There's a new deluxe set of Let It Be coming in October to coincide with the Peter Jackson documentary. The main album is getting a full remix by Giles Martin. There's also a CD set featuring a blu-ray with a Dolby Atmos mix.

Back