The (Archeological) Discoveries Topic

the second tells them that fractures have been done via tools, while corps were still fresh.

Except that it doesn't tell them. They have not investigated other possibilities as to what may have caused to fractures.

As far as I understand, the structure of any fracture inside the bone would be significantly different whether the bone was already decaying or not. Based on that, fractures were made while the beast was still alive, somewhat alive or just dead. Which would rule out the damage over a longer period of time to decaying corpse. That case would be due to atmospheric elements. Considering that any other damage would have to come from a jaw-like shape...

So to them, this corpse has been hit over and over multiple times by something while it was still alive.

Interesting thread. On a related note, my dad was - he has just retired - a Professor of Archaeology (expert in the Roman world). It was fascinating to see some of the Roman ruins he discovered with other people over the years. :)

You don't need to tell me his name, but maybe some of his work? There's a good chance I'm familiar with something of what he did.

You don't need to tell me his name, but maybe some of his work? There's a good chance I'm familiar with something of what he did.

The excavations and his subsequent role as archaeological director of the Roman villa of La Olmeda, in the north of Spain, are his most notable contributions to the field, or at least the ones that are easier to google! :)

The excavations and his subsequent role as archaeological director of the Roman villa of La Olmeda, in the north of Spain, are his most notable contributions to the field, or at least the ones that are easier to google! :)

Okay, in that case probably not, because if he's the guy I found and think he is all his publications are in Spanish. :D It's quite a spectacular find though, and at least one of the mosaics looks sort of familiar to me.

Incidentally, I'm also from an archaeologist family. My grandfather was quite renowned in his field, and I'm drawing a lot from him in my current work.

Last edited:
Okay, in that case probably not, because if he's the guy I found and think he is all his publications are in Spanish. :D

The Basque surname is a giveaway! :lol: You are right; all scientific publications are in Spanish. If there is something you are interested in, I might be able to help with translation, work commitments permitting.

It's quite a spectacular find though, and at least one of the mosaics looks sort of familiar to me.

It is indeed spectacular. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area, as the mosaics are particularly impressive.

Incidentally, I'm also from an archaeologist family. My grandfather was quite renowned in his field, and I'm drawing a lot from him in my current work.

Heinrich Schliemann? :D

Just kidding, I am not asking you to give your identity away. :)

Hm. Well the article kind of convoluted it. It concludes with the biology not being important for the gender while in this case they presume Klinefelter syndrome on the corpse - which gives a clean biochemical foundation for the gender 'misfit'.

The grave also functions as a proof of how non-binary people could have been valued and respected members of their communities.

I disagree, meaning is true, but the formulation of the sentence is bollocks. If those Finns did not have "gender talks" e.g. gender separation at all there are no binary or non-binary people, only people.

Modern man made a lot of small boxes - nationalities, religions, global politics (isms vs isms), all these sex/gender based classifications. They would be meaningless to the past man.

Genders are a modern sociological construct, and non-binary is a gender type or a domain or a category. Meaning that it didn't exist before the invention/development of the said construct. In medieval Finland it certainly didn't. Why mix apples and oranges?

Very interesting video about the Cretaceous–Paleogene (K–Pg) extinction event (65million years ago, meteorite in Yucatan, ending the dinosaurs and Mesozoic era)

Yucatan_chix_crater.jpg

Chicxulub crater
orbitz-yucatan-Chicxulub-crater-ken-thomas.jpg

ChicxulubZoneOfCenotes.jpg

The word cenote came fromthe Mayan name for a sink-hole. A natural geological formation where the limestone bedrock opens up to the underground river below. It’s estimated that there are over 7,000 cenotes in the Yucatan. Sinkholes similar to the Yucatan’s cenotes exist a few other places in the world, but nowhere else in such vast numbers. New cenotes are still being discovered and explored. Popular with divers for their unique cave structures and link to the ancient Mayan culture.

Orbitz-Mexico-Yucatan-Cenote-things-to-do-1.jpg

About Amazonian /Mexican settlements /cities now covered by the jungle. Stefan Milo explores the content of 3 papers, most recent being published on January 2024

@Onhell

About Amazonian /Mexican settlements /cities now covered by the jungle. Stefan Milo explores the content of 3 papers, most recent being published on January 2024

@Onhell
I'll check it out when I get the time. I've seen a few articles of sites in Guatemala being discovered through thermo imaging, GPS, and radar, because the jungle is too thick to explore.

Back