The Apparition

How good is The Apparition on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Its like they needed to find a song around the cool solo section.

I give it a 5 because as a song it really goes nowhere. Kind of like this entire album.

Reactions: Jer
Two thirds total garbage, one third pure awesome, that middle section is incredible. The melody around the 1:48 mark sounds like something out of a MegaMan game :D

I'm having a hard time determining who plays which solos. You've got three, at 1:38, 1:57 and 2:07. I think the second is clearly Dave, so Janick's playing the first and last, right? It sounds like his style, but I've never heard of Janick using a wah pedal :confused:

I like how it sounds at the beginning like it's going to be an interlude song and it drags itself enough to be an actual song... It's still not great but I definitely don't hate it

The other thing that I love about the Apparition is that it lyrically fits in perfectly with the 'dark haunted forest' vibe of the title track/album cover.
Not sure about this. Haunted certainly, but the ghost is clearly friendly and not at all menacing - unlike the cover art ...

Actually, you’re both wrong: the song is about a person on his death bed speaking to a close friend or relative about how he’s going to pass into the next life but will return as an apparition.

How does the first line fit in? That’s Maiden taking what’s supposed to be at the end and bringing it to the beginning instead.

Actually, you’re both wrong: the song is about a person on his death bed speaking to a close friend or relative about how he’s going to pass into the next life but will return as an apparition.

How does the first line fit in? That’s Maiden taking what’s supposed to be at the end and bringing it to the beginning instead.
Sorry but I think you've just made it complicated for no good reason. Purely on face value the story is that here is the ghost of a person who has died just a moment ago, who is attempting to exchange a few last words with a friend "on his way out". Hence "passing through on my way".

It seems quite straightforward and I don't think there's any need for your assumption regarding the first line. But if you think differently then please, by all means explain further :).

Sorry but I think you've just made it complicated for no good reason. Purely on face value the story is that here is the ghost of a person who has died just a moment ago, who is attempting to exchange a few last words with a friend "on his way out". Hence "passing through on my way".

It seems quite straightforward and I don't think there's any need for your assumption regarding the first line. But if you think differently then please, by all means explain further :).
Lol, nah, it's just that the song struck me as being "final words on the deathbed" before he passes on, except for the first line. You're probably more right than I. ;)

Lol, nah, it's just that the song struck me as being "final words on the deathbed" before he passes on, except for the first line. You're probably more right than I. ;)
Hey, don't back down, your interpretation is just as valid as mine! I can see how lyrics like "I'm about to find it out" might be interpreted as that the narrator is not yet a ghost. I just didn't see anything in the lyrics to suggest that the song goes into flashback after the first few lines so since he is clearly already a ghost at the start I went for a sort of interim view, ie this person hasn't been a ghost for very long and is not yet used to the routine.

We need to remember two things:
1) It is a truth universally acknowledged that Maiden songs mean different things to different people, and
2) Unless/until Steve comes back to fill us in we won't know all the answers anyway.

In the meantime all interpretations are equally valid - and equally open to discussion ;)
The set up is just a framing device for Steve's opinions and thoughts on the after life it's not really that important.
I also agree with this ...

Hey, don't back down, your interpretation is just as valid as mine! I can see how lyrics like "I'm about to find it out" might be interpreted as that the narrator is not yet a ghost. I just didn't see anything in the lyrics to suggest that the song goes into flashback after the first few lines so since he is clearly already a ghost at the start I went for a sort of interim view, ie this person hasn't been a ghost for very long and is not yet used to the routine.

We need to remember two things:
1) It is a truth universally acknowledged that Maiden songs mean different things to different people, and
2) Unless/until Steve comes back to fill us in we won't know all the answers anyway.

In the meantime all interpretations are equally valid - and equally open to discussion ;)
Yeah, I completely get you! The problem is as I typed that post I forgot all about the opening lines and needed a quick explanation so I didn’t appear more silly than I already do. :D

Personally, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that people can actually give this song less than at least a... 6/10 maybe (FYI, I gave it a 10).

You get a lot of Maiden fans constantly whinging that Maiden never do anything different, yet when they do something different like this song it seems to generate outrage and hate. I think this track did not succeed but it certainly has a lot more going for it than some of the other Maiden-by-numbers tracks from FOTD.

Back