The Angel and the Gambler

How good is The Angel and the Gambler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Angel and the Gambler

Of course there is, that's why I gave it a 6.  :D *ducks*

Eddies Wingman said:
Without comparing the songs; Child In Time basically repeats the same, twice: Organ intro, the part where Gillan sings (hard to talk about verse/chorus), guitar solo, new organ "intro", the same sung part over again, and then an outro instead of guitar solo. And that song is regarded as a classic (and rightly so). Now don't count me in with those who hear any DP resemblance in TAATG, I just felt like commenting on your question.

Child has a very lengthy solo but I never had the idea that it repeats a line as often as TAATG. Maybe I should count it. ;)

I didn't say it repeats a line, and as I pointed out, I didn't mean to draw a direct comparison between the two songs. I just gave an example of a well known Deep Purple song which one might call repetitive.

Forostar said:
Child has a very lengthy solo but I never had the idea that it repeats a line as often as TAATG. Maybe I should count it. ;)

insert: has as much repetition

I like the solo but that's about it.  I've never been able to stomach this song at all.  2/10

I like the melodies and (in some instances and some way) the lyrics.

A pretty funky song with good solos and so. Even if The Angel and The Gambler ain't a song that you think about when you think of Maiden epics between 8 and 13 minutes.

I was jerking around on previous votings and did it all wrong. Now I re-did all the albums from 1-10, but it's too late to go back, isn't it?  :p

So I'll wait for next year until we do this again.

I wouldn't do this too quickly. Do at least a year in between changes of votes, even if your idea of a song changes every other week (or month). ;)

I'll enable vote-changing eventually. So relax :p

Forostar said:
I wouldn't do this too quickly. Do at least a year in between changes of votes, even if your idea of a song changes every other week (or month). ;)

I listened to the song, and ranked it. Simple as that...

And I have the feeling that those (my current) ranks won't change for a long time.

I'll PM you all my (changed) votes once the option "change vote" appears. :)

Benjamin said:
I'll enable vote-changing eventually. So relax :p

Oh, OK then, I'll correct my previous mistakes.  :)

Back to the topic!

Good sung verses, but the repetition truly kills it. The melody is also a bit, eh... - all enough for a 4.

70's sound exactly. Great theme and great lyrics with a bad composition I find the melodies average and they repeat too much. I don't like the keyboard performance on the song. It must have been a 5 minute song or something but 9:54 ? It's ridiculous. One of the worst of the Maiden but not terrible though. 4/10. (if it was a 5 minute song, it would get 5 from me)

Should've been a fantastic 4-5 minutes song. Chorus is repeated waaaaay too much. Melodies are great, and keyboards are fitting perfectly. But again, everything is so repetitive, that I can't give the song more than 5/10. Sorry.

7. I enjoy most of this song but I just find it a struggle to listen to the whole thing. The repetition kills it for me. I really enjoy the verses.

Back