The Angel and the Gambler

How good is The Angel and the Gambler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Angel and the Gambler

SIGH.

I'm listening to it now, and it rocks. It doesn't feel repetetive, the solos are awesome, the whole thing almost has a twist feeling to it at some points.
I was afraid this was going to happen, I can't really be objective with Maiden songs. I used to think this one sucked, and now I'm not even sure if the single edit is still better.

I'm out of this one.

7. If it was shorter, I'd give it 8 or 9. The music is pretty cool, the storytelling is great, the solos are splendid, Blaze's perhaps best performance on the album, but the elongated parts are tiresome and it kills that enjoyment other long songs have. Anyway, I listen to the single version more than the album version, but as we're judging the album version, I'll keep it at that. Great song.

This whole song has a 7 quality, and I really dig the calm midpart. That's why the single version is less good:
It doesn't have this atmospherical piece. I love the way the chords are changing here, because they immediately change the atmosphere as well. Like some sudden changes in a movie, or better: in luck.

A minor element I find the organ, I don't really like it here. And not unimportant:
Only in the last -I guess fifth- part of the song, the repetition is really too much.

Thus the grade goes down to 6.

The song would be quite good if it hadn't been repeating itself into boredom. Still, the chorus sounds like it was actually made for being repeated over and over. The last line of the chorus doesn't really feel like the last, if you catch my drift.

Now, there is some variation in the backing between every repetition of the chorus, but it just becomes too much for me. 9 minute long songs require more variation. Think Paschendale or BTATS. The song is enjoyable for a while and then gets tiresome. As Forostar pointed out just as I was writing this - the song could do without the last fifth or so. I will follow the Dutchman on this one - 6/10.

7/10. It's too long. If it would be shorter, I'd give it a 8. Not that I dislike long songs, but this song isn't interesting and varied enough for 9 minutes.

I actually really like this song. The energy is very evident and is something X Factor was missing. It is repetitive but that doesn't stop it from being a good song. 9/10

I like this one, a nice Deep Purple-ish type song for Maiden.  I know the knock on it is how repetitive it is, but a lot of Maiden songs are.  It is not in the same class as the greats, but I will give it a 7.

7.  I LOVE the chorus, even though it gets repetitive.  The single edit is a 9.

Hate it when the organ comes in. Makes me cringe. Still its a pretty good rocker but a bit too repetitive.

6/10

You know how Running Free is an OK studio track that really comes alive as an extended concert rave-up?  It seems to me they attempted to capture that same idea in the studio here by playing this one out. It’s just a fun song with a catchy chorus. I was going to say count me among the small group of fans, but it's actually scoring quite well. Seven.

bearfan said:
I like this one, a nice Deep Purple-ish type song for Maiden.
Yeah! I never thought of it that way before, but it is! Anyway, 7 out of 10 from me. The repetition keeps it from being an 8... catchy tune, I like it.

I've hit "repeat" many times while listening to this song, al la Albie.  Great highway driving song as the repetition is great to singalong too.

I never had any hate for this track. Ok the repetition can be boring, but in this case, it serves as the build-up into excellent rockish solos. Foro was right - the last repetitions are unnecessary. It's a good rocking, three-riff type track. However, it lasts 10 minutes. That's way over the limit for "three-riff rocking" tracks. And seeing that i gave 7 to Back In The Village, for instance, i'm going to go for 6 here.

I like this song, and I also enjoy the repetition. In a way, it's so over the top that it's cool again. It's a good, light-hearted rocker (although the lyrics are pretty dark by comparison).
However, I can't hear the Deep Purple influence some of you guys have mentioned. To me, it sounds a lot more like The Who. I don't have much of a problem imagining Roger Daltrey sing it, whereas Ian Gillan wouldn't fit at all.
Anyway, everything considered, this is still the weakest track on the album. I have a soft spot for it, but I can't go over 8/10.

I find this song decent at best, it's catchy but obviously repetitive. Has a distinctly average feel to it: 5/10

I feel more The Who (always remember of the song Who Are You? when listening to TAATG), UFO and Uriah Heep vibes. This has no resemblance to Deep Purple.

I can imagine that some of you guys dig the Purple and Who resemblance but did these bands also make such long and repetitive songs, and do you give such high rankings to those songs as well?

Without comparing the songs; Child In Time basically repeats the same, twice: Organ intro, the part where Gillan sings (hard to talk about verse/chorus), guitar solo, new organ "intro", the same sung part over again, and then an outro instead of guitar solo. And that song is regarded as a classic (and rightly so). Now don't count me in with those who hear any DP resemblance in TAATG, I just felt like commenting on your question.

Forostar said:
I can imagine that some of you guys dig the Purple and Who resemblance but did these bands also make such long and repetitive songs, and do you give such high rankings to those songs as well?

There is more to the song than its repetitiveness. It's the overall sound that resembles The Who.

Back