The Angel and the Gambler

How good is The Angel and the Gambler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'The Angel And The Gambler'

SinisterMinisterX said:
As a long-time highly vocal detractor of this song, I advise you to give another chance. And then another, and another. This song has really grown on me, and I now enjoy hearing it, including every second of the never-ending chorus.

Exactly.  I used to jokingly ridicule this song in every way imaginable (I still do, as a matter of fact...if you begin to take your favourite band too seriously, you start sounding like some of these guys), but it has grown on me...like some kind of well-meaning, fuzzy, mould.  It's not heavy, it's not complex, it's just good, easy listening...sort of like Re/Load Metallica or Risk Megadeth (well, they aren't really easy listening, but it's swallowable, unlike St. Anger).  And now...

Don't you think I'm your saviour?
Don't you think I can save you?
Don't you think I can save your life?

:D

SinisterMinisterX said:
Based on your almost astounding inability to properly use the English language, I suspect you're not even old enough to legally drive a car.
Have you even read the lyrics? Your idea of material designed for children is quite odd. The X Factor contains some of Maiden's most brilliant lyrics ever; they didn't consistently match the quality of those lyrics until AMOLAD. Just because lyrics lack vulgarity and are acceptable for children doesn't mean they were intended for children.
In short, no5, your post was crap. If you don't like TAATG or VXI, that's fine. But the reasons you gave display the mind of a child, so don't be surprised if that's how you get treated in response.

a) I'm 31 years old and I'm maiden fan since '85 ....don't suspect too much
b) of course and I've read the lyrics
c) ok, X Factor is better , but still not good enough
d) I didn't mention vugarity at all
e) ah yes ? the truth is allways painfull mister
f) I don't need to write an essay for why I don't like this album, it's a shame and waste of time. I've written some essays though, for some maiden pieces that deserve my effort and my time. Enough said

some people give me the impression that
they are ready to hail whatever with the logo Iron Maiden on it
...I think you are one of them....

Raven said:
Exactly.  I used to jokingly ridicule this song in every way imaginable (I still do, as a matter of fact...if you begin to take your favourite band too seriously, you start sounding like some of these guys)

exactly that

____no5 said:
some people give me the impression that
they are ready to hail whatever with the logo Iron Maiden on it
...I think you are one of them....

On the contrary, he merely said that he enjoyed the song.  He did not say he fellated it.  Plus, there are worse Maiden songs out there, such as 'Weekend Warrior' or 'Hooks in You'.

And besides, comparing SMX to the people in that link I posted is innacurate.  SMX was merely suggesting that you give the song another chance, and given your reasons for not buying Virtual XI, he was right in his portrayal of you.  Sucking up everything the band do may be bad, but expecting the moon on a stick every single time from them is worse.

Raven said:
Plus, there are worse Maiden songs out there, such as 'Weekend Warrior' or 'Hooks in You'.
That's your opinion perhaps <_<

Conor said:
That's your opinion perhaps <_<

Granted, but I made my decisions about what songs I liked and disliked through giving them a chance, at least-if no5 has not even bought Virtual XI, he can'y have given the song much of a chance.

Raven said:
On the contrary, he merely said that he enjoyed the song.  He did not say he fellated it.  Plus, there are worse Maiden songs out there, such as 'Weekend Warrior' or 'Hooks in You'.

And besides, comparing SMX to the people in that link I posted is innacurate.  SMX was merely suggesting that you give the song another chance, and given your reasons for not buying Virtual XI, he was right in his portrayal of you.  Sucking up everything the band do may be bad, but expecting the moon on a stick every single time from them is worse.

don't be blocked to the letter of what I've said, of course he don't hail the song, i wouldn't even anwer to him if so...!
I find 'Weekend Warrior' and 'Hooks in You' ok songs....at least they weren't be made for bothering people, because what annoyes me terribly in "angel..." and generally "Virtual XI" is that contain elements to really bother the listenner? INTENTIONALLY....I'm ok with that, but I find repetition a cheap way to annoy the listener

sixty plus time repetition....? what ??? I'm sorry mate I can't follow this logic, the logic which described so well in "blood brothers" : "keep on making the same old mistakes".....No my friend, I don't want this, not in my art, I understand it as a way of life, but I hate in when applying in art

and what other chance to give ? I know this song and I'm discusting of it for 8 years, I know it very well, what other chance ? With Weekend Warrior, yes, in the start, the first yeras, I didn't like.....But, now with the time, I love more and more albums like "no prayer..." and "fear of the dark" and songs like weekend warrior or apparition, but I still don't give ANY excuses for songs like "Angel..." and "don't look to the eyes..."

SMX : I don't know him very well, not really read his posts, I found him enough aggressive with me.....From the other side, I know you a bit better, you are more interesting "presence" and I like your calm minding......So, if it's to learn something, I can learn more easily from you than from him.....Do you really believe that he was right in his portrayal of me ? ....Because it was a bit heavy what he said to me

and I don't expect the moon on a stick every single time from them

Raven said:
Granted, but I made my decisions about what songs I liked and disliked through giving them a chance, at least-if no5 has not even bought Virtual XI, he can'y have given the song much of a chance.

whaaaaaaaat ? I've said I didn't BUY it, not that I don't HAVE it !!
I have every single Maiden song my friend, the same for Virtual XI, and after '85 from the very time of its release !!!

BUY an album doesn't mean that you don't HAVE it, c'mon, it sounds terrible to me! If I didn't had every single maiden song what the hell I do to this forum ?........
....Now I understand better, what's happened with SMX and Raven, they thought that I didn't had listened enough the album, for that they were speaking for other chance

hey SMX, smart you are...you linked so many words in dictionary, but you didn't consider the difference between "to buy" and "to have", or even ""to know" You thought that if I don't have buy the album, I will be a young one that discovered Maiden lately....And for that same reason, and not for my english language thing you thought I was 16 years old....ha ! and you didn't even think that maybe I am from a non English speaking country, c'mon, I want to see how well you speak my proud language...

FOR THE RECORD: it happens not to have bought it because the time of its release, the CD version was released one-two days before, so I made a tape-copy of it waiting for the vinyl.....But the album never gave me the feeling to give any money for it, I did it for the respect of MY money and the shake of good Maiden not to buy it

(I was a hard vinyl lover then....the first CD that I ever bought it was Brave New World (in deed), and since, I've never bought vinyl again)

Well, if you've listened to it, then that's alright.  I assumed that because you didn't have the album you had just dismissed it after a casual listen.  It does grow on you, though.

LOL that is funny! For the record, I don't like the song cuz of the repetition. The video is goofy too. the rest of the stuff on VXI is way better!  :ok:

Personally, I'm very fond of this song. The reasons have already been stated above by others, it's got a really good motorway vibe, like some classic rock bands from the 70's. I also appreciate it when the band tries something new, regardless of whether it turns out to be a success or not. Perhaps a third guitar solo, either Dave or Jan's, in place of some of the choruses, could've improved the reactions this song has received over the years. That certainly seems to be the most oft-repeated complaint.

Personally, i'll pick this one over half of X Factor.

It's somewhat dull, but the mood is kinda nice, the repetition part is the build up part...something like bolero. Solos are great. But, i'd put it in top10 weakest Maiden songs.

I kind of love and hate this song. It's very repetitive and not so typical Maiden-song, because of the "loud" keyboards and stuff. TAATG is one of my least favorite songs, but I still like this somehow.

"Don't you think I'm your savior
Don't you think I could save you
Don't you think I could save your life"

that just rings in my head :p

This song is a bit like The Clouding by Iced Earth: it could have achieved its effect and been far more succesful if it had been three minutes shorter.  Maybe even more.  I like the mid-section of the song; the intro is horrible with the keyboards (and this is coming from someone who usually likes keyboards), and the end of the song drags on.  I'd give the mid-section of the song 4.5 stars, but the beginning and end drag it down to 2.

I enjoy the song including the repetitions, which in most songs are not needed.  Don't ask me to explain why.  The keyboards achieve a nice moody effect.  A gamble of a song with a unique theme that pays off.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. This is a joke of a song from a disappointing record. We all know the repetition is horrible but the song has other fundamental problems. It isn't catchy, the vocals are bland, the solos are dull and the best thing about this song is the video. As for VXI, I listened to it a lot in '98 waiting for it to grow on me. It never did.

VXI was love at first listen for me and I still love it

The video edit and live version of this song are very enjoyable for me.  Probably because both are about 3 minutes shorter.  Still, in the right element, this song kicks ass.

Daily Song: The Angel and the Gambler

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Angel and the Gambler

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I really do like this song. No matter how you cut it, I think it's one of the better songs from the album. It's got a different feel, groovy, and it rocks hard. Sure, it's long, and you can say the chorus is repetitive, but I find myself nodding along through all 2.4x10[sup]4[/sup] choruses. 9/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Angel and the Gambler

Yep, I love this song too. It's, in my view, the second best song from the Blaze era (the best is yet to come). LC called it - it's long and the chorus is repeated again and again and again but I genuinely listen to this track and find myself reaching for the "repeat last track" button towards the end. It's a bloody good song. 10.

Back