The Angel and the Gambler

How good is The Angel and the Gambler on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Angel And The Gambler' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Angel And The Gambler'

the phrase "don't you think..." is repeated 66 times. goes to show you, everything has a purpose, even repetition [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

This is one of Maiden's most disliked songs, and I can see why. It can be pretty damn annoying! However, having said that, it's a really good song when I'm not in a "mainstream" mood. One of those days that The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Moonchild, Fear of the Dark are starting to grate, I'll put on songs like this one, Judgement of Heaven, Heaven Can Wait, Fear is the Key, and such. The Angel and the Gambler is most memorable because it isn't classic Maiden. They've tried something else, with a very prog-rock feel to it, and it's not so bad. It's a little long, but it's not so bad! If you guys don't like the song, listen to the short version. That's pretty darn cool.

The Angel And The Gambler is maybe repetitive but it's my favorite Maiden song because it's really sound like a The Who song and I really like them.So this song countain a repetitive chorus but it stay in your head,the video really rocks!

LC, i don't agree that TAATG is a prog metal song. From VXI, it's a pretty conservative one, compared to the others on it

I think this song is somewhat underrated. Admittedly, it's a bit long, but it has a very unique feel to it, which I really like.

Not meaning to be controversial or anything but I really do not like this song for some reason. I think it's the organs that kill it, but the structure is too basic and the song goes on about five minutes too long.

Shame, because if it wasn't for this track then this album would be brilliant, however nearly ten minutes of great album time is taken up by this song which I just can't listen to.

Just for the record I gave it 1/5. This is the only Maiden song I would say that I can't stand.

The Angel and the Gambler is one of my favourite Iron Maiden songs, but I was pretty surprised to read that this is the only song in Virtual XI that many fans heard before deciding not to buy the album! It may be repetitive, but there's nothing wrong with that - some of my favourite songs are repetitive. (nearly all of AC/DC's songs are very repetitive, but they're still one of my favourite bands)

Gave it four stars and have nothing new to add, as usually [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .
I agree with the comparison to The Who, which is enforced by Blaze's singing. You can really feel the motorway thing going on too, both solos do their bit.

O.k. the song drags on a bit. But I think there are too many strophes rather than too much repetition. The parts with the repetitive chorus simply rock and have build-up. Sometimes that can be all you need. Don't you think? [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Nice motto, nice irony.
Nothing to lose but so much to gain
A little danger, it goes without saying
But what do you care, you're gonna go in the end

Pretty good song all right! But then of course you know what it's like on the IMBB
"Angel and da gambla suxxorrrzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!! and im only saying this coz dars a bandwagon goin round saiyin ya know?!??!"
Twats [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i think this is a pretty good song as soon as you get past that first minute. the intro turns alot of ppl off of the song i think but once you get past it, the song is quite good i believe. i'll give it 3 stars

Don't you just love that cheesy keyboard? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Come on people admit it [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] To conclude, a word needs to be added about the repetition of the chorus. Although this is a more than decent song, many people dislike it because of this repeatedness, and a friend of mine even jokingly dubbed this song 'The Angel And The Never-Ending Chorus'. This apparent abuse of the lyrics (the chorus is repeated 12 times before the solos and another 10 times at the end of the song!) may have some significance, although it is not clear which it can be. Maybe the "Angel" is simply hammering those words into the gambler's brain in order to make him react and ponder their true meaning. It certainly made a few Maiden fans react to it![/quote]

This passage from the Commentary reminded me of what gor said earlier in this thread- that the phrase "Don't you think..." is repeated 66 times.

Now, I am certainly reading very much into it, but maybe, just maybe, the angel is in fact revealing himself to be the devil here. This is particularly interesting in regards to the Sufi story that is pointed out to earlier in the Commentary.
While the angel does indeed attempt to turn away the gambler from his trade, he never actually reveals himself as a heavenly character. He is just called an "angel" by the gambler once in the song.
The angel is so obsessed with saving a soul that is both "not worth saving" and simply lost. The angel repeats to tell the gambler that he is his saviour, and possibly turns completely insane in these regards, or unconsciously and unwillingly reveals that he is not the heavenly envoy he pretends to be.

On the other hand, maybe I just need an angel myself [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 8 2005, 09:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 8 2005, 09:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This passage from the Commentary reminded me of what gor said earlier in this thread- that the phrase "Don't you think..." is repeated 66 times.

Now, I am certainly reading very much into it, but maybe, just maybe, the angel is in fact revealing himself to be the devil here. This is particularly interesting in regards to the Sufi story that is pointed out to earlier in the Commentary.
While the angel does indeed attempt to turn away the gambler from his trade, he never actually reveals himself as a heavenly character. He is just called an "angel" by the gambler once in the song.
The angel is so obsessed with saving a soul that is both "not worth saving" and simply lost. The angel repeats to tell the gambler that he is his saviour, and possibly turns completely insane in these regards, or unconsciously and unwillingly reveals that he is not the heavenly envoy he pretends to be.

On the other hand, maybe I just need an angel myself [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]122601[/snapback]​
[/quote]
no, he tells gambler that he isn't his saviour.....don't you think that I am your saviour....or I got it wrong without thinking....nevermind.... maybe it could be understood both ways....

this is one of the worse maiden song's ever....too long, too repetative, without some memorable parts - riffs are monotonous, keyboard is old-fashion hard rock and it doesn't improve impression, solo's are pretty decent and that's highlight of the song....

another song which is 'competitive' with this is apparition, I just can't decide which is worse....

Just brought Virtual XI again (most of my stuff is in store and I formatted my PC without thinking(shudders all those songs to replace(luckily most where on my MP3 player)))
Was going through the album and reached this song.
Reaction hmm not really that bad!
5 minutes later my thoughts where: never want to hear the chorus again.
Its good but has no more lies syndrome- Maiden do like to hammer chrouses into some songs until your sick of em.
Somehow CSIT gets away with it though....

Any how anyone know where to get this shortened version on MP3? (192 kbps preferably lol)

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 8 2005, 08:06 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 8 2005, 08:06 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This passage from the Commentary reminded me of what gor said earlier in this thread- that the phrase "Don't you think..." is repeated 66 times.

[snapback]122601[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Ah, but maybe the angel (or devil) is in fact double-bluffing, so if we think he's trying to save the gambler, he is in fact feeding his addiction, or perhaps by claiming to not be the gambler's saviour, he is trying to confuse the gambler into giving up [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

When i first heard this song, I didn't think it was too bad. If they took out the majority of the choruses (chori?) it would be a fairly decent composition. Keyboards don't get too annoying, but the whole reliance on the build up to relieve the monotony at the end doesn't work-the build up is fairly weak, compared to other songs by Maiden that use build ups (even Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, on the same album). I'll give it 2.5 stars, it had potential, but was squandered by the desire for a lengthy track.

Re: 'the Angel And The Gambler'

Legionnaire said:
Just brought Virtual XI again (most of my stuff is in store and I formatted my PC without thinking(shudders all those songs to replace(luckily most where on my MP3 player)))
Was going through the album and reached this song.
Reaction hmm not really that bad!
5 minutes later my thoughts where: never want to hear the chorus again.
Its good but has no more lies syndrome- Maiden do like to hammer chrouses into some songs until your sick of em.
Somehow CSIT gets away with it though....

Any how anyone know where to get this shortened version on MP3? (192 kbps preferably lol)

Yes, but the chorus in AatG is one of Maiden's typical decent choruses being used too much, as opposed to a single line being chanted over and over again.  I know the chorus isn't exactly very varied, but it's better that Seventh Son's, and Per seems to like it ;)

Re: 'The Angel And The Gambler'

easyly the worst maiden song.....virtual XI is the only album I didn't buy.....why to do so? with this song Harris makes it clear to us : I'm a shelfish guy, I do what I want, and by the way....don't buy this album...I've almost heard these whisper words in my mind, so I followed his advise and I didn't buy this piece of shit

of course like an album it has its good moments, but generally is a discusting effort, for someone who has grown up with piece of mind and powerslave

in the blaze era maiden was writting music (but especially lyrics) for kids.....

Re: 'The Angel And The Gambler'

Oh my. I'm gonna have to deconstruct this line by line.

____no5 said:
easyly the worst maiden song

As a long-time highly vocal detractor of this song, I advise you to give another chance. And then another, and another. This song has really grown on me, and I now enjoy hearing it, including every second of the never-ending chorus.

____no5 said:
virtual XI is the only album I didn't buy.....why to do so?

Because it's a great album. It's my favorite of the two Blaze albums; I'm not a huge fan of the dark mood found on TXF. Just look at some of the other songs on the album: Futureal, The Educated Fool, The Clansman, Como Estais Amigos. All superb, as is TAATG. And the songs I didn't name aren't far behind.

____no5 said:
with this song Harris makes it clear to us : I'm a shelfish guy, I do what I want

And what should he do? Write songs like you want, or like I want, or like anyone else outside of Maiden wants? We buy Maiden albums precisely because we like the way they write songs. Harris was no more or less selfish on this album than on any other.

____no5 said:
and by the way....don't buy this album...I've almost heard these whisper words in my mind, so I followed his advise and I didn't buy this piece of shit

Advise is a verb; advice is a noun.
And I've never heard any such whispered words in my mind. If you're hearing voices, you ought to consult a psychiatrist.

____no5 said:
of course like an album it has its good moments, but generally is a discusting effort, for someone who has grown up with piece of mind and powerslave

I grew up with PoM and Powerslave. Based on your almost astounding inability to properly use the English language, I suspect you're not even old enough to legally drive a car. Discovering an album that was released more than a decade before your birth does not qualify as growing up with it. Furthermore, your apparent expectation that Maiden should continue to produce clones of the mid-80s albums is ludicrous. Maiden has shown an ability to grow artistically as they age and a willingness to experiment. These are traits that deserve applause. If you want to hear the same thing over and over again, I suggest you confine your listening to post-Back In Black AC/DC.

____no5 said:
in the blaze era maiden was writting music (but especially lyrics) for kids.....
Have you even read the lyrics? Your idea of material designed for children is quite odd. The X Factor contains some of Maiden's most brilliant lyrics ever; they didn't consistently match the quality of those lyrics until AMOLAD. Just because lyrics lack vulgarity and are acceptable for children doesn't mean they were intended for children.

In short, no5, your post was crap. If you don't like TAATG or VXI, that's fine. But the reasons you gave display the mind of a child, so don't be surprised if that's how you get treated in response.

Back