• The Alchemist By Bruce Dickinson

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • The Alchemisit by Iron Maiden

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

Mosh

PM me your Nightwish album rankings!
Staff member
I'm surprised this hasn't been made yet. Well it is self explanatory. Vote for your favorite. I vote Iron Maiden as I never really liked the one by Bruce.

Bruce. I gotta admit I can't see very much in the Iron Maiden song. It's my least favourite off the album. The Bruce song, on the other hand, is a magnificent and dramatic piece of music that perfectly closes a nigh-perfect album.

I vote for the Iron Maiden song. Reason:

Iron Maiden:
Nice from the beginning til the end

Bruce Dickinson:
I especially like the first 3 and a half minutes (The Stargazer solo-part included) but after that I am less fond of the Chemical-Wedding-revisited part. That surely brings it down for me.

Not that I dislike Maidens effort (I do enjoy it immensely), but Bruce's track is so bloody brilliant it would get a 10 from me - but Maidens will only get a 7 at best.

I like both songs but prefer the Dickinson one slightly.  The reprise of the Chemical Wedding chorus is a nice tie in and closer to the album and it really feels like a special song.  While the Maiden one is merely a good rocker that sticks out mostly because it's actually up tempo.

I still think Maiden should have called that song something else- Strange Alchemy, The House of Dr. Dee, or even Alchemy. 

Forostar said:
I vote for the Iron Maiden song. Reason:

Iron Maiden:
Nice from the beginning til the end

Bruce Dickinson:
I especially like the first 3 and a half minutes (The Stargazer solo-part included) but after that I am less fond of the Chemical-Wedding-revisited part. That surely brings it down for me.
LOL That is the same reason I had.

I agree with SMX, it's really weird that Bruce was ok with this.

Anyway, Bruce's song is better.

The Knife Master said:
LOL That is the same reason I had.

Yeah, for me a very natural reason. What's cool about a song that consists of a literal part I already know?
Not that much.

Donner said:
I like both songs but prefer the Dickinson one slightly.  The reprise of the Chemical Wedding chorus is a nice tie in and closer to the album and it really feels like a special song.  While the Maiden one is merely a good rocker that sticks out mostly because it's actually up tempo.

I still think Maiden should have called that song something else- Strange Alchemy, The House of Dr. Dee, or even Alchemy. 
I would've voted for Strange Alchemy. The House Of Doctor Dee does NOT sound like a maiden tune.

The one that's spelled right. ;) I find the Maiden song quite mediocre compared to the majestic Bruce song. The solo is beautiful, the intro is interesting and Bruce sings it better. And I like the Chemical Wedding re-visited part, although the song really didn't need it. I guess he was influenced by himself (OTGDY re-visited Moonchild).

Jeffmetal said:
That was different. That was Steve paying tribute to Animals.
Animals as in Pink Floyd? If we're talking pink floyd and Roger's obsession with looping I would guess he was paying tribute to The Wall. I always saw Pigs On The Wing Part 2 as a reprise.

The Maiden cut gets my vote. I think that it's one of the best rockers that they've ever done. Janick's solo is killer...

The Knife Master said:
Animals as in Pink Floyd? If we're talking pink floyd and Roger's obsession with looping I would guess he was paying tribute to The Wall. I always saw Pigs On The Wing Part 2 as a reprise.

I think it has more to do with Animals as the intro and outro of Seventh Son is acoustic, just with Pigs On The Wing. Also, notice how the 'Seven deadly sins' poem and the Pigs on The Wing tells about the same situation, in which the trip will begin and at the end, both verses say that it all ended on that story, but the moral of the whole thing will keep on repeatin on and on and on, as in the ouroboros figure related to Moonchild. That's why I think Steve was mostly inspired by Animals than The Wall, not to mention I think I read Steve saying Animals is his fave Floyd album.

Back