The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

Hooray for Bjørgen, who finishes her Olympic career in style! I wonder if she will continue until next year's World Championship, or retire after this season.

Btw, enormous differences in this race, not just from 1st to 2nd. Number 15 is more than 3 min behind number 2! But I guess this is what you get with mass starts. Those who are out of the race for top positions just focus on finishing, and don't push themselves hard. I'd love to see those long distances being held as individual starts every now and then. That would see each skier pushing closer to his/her capacity.

Not sure how that works. She ends nineth.

I think there was a red and a blue track which they both had to take throughout the race (red, blue, red, blue..). I guess it cannot be closed because everyone is still using it.

Not sure how that works. She ends nineth.

I think there was a red and a blue track which they both had to take throughout the race (red, blue, red, blue..). I guess it cannot be closed because everyone is still using it.
It was a bit funny that she found the right track by spotting (and following) Heidi Weng, who herself was involved in an infamous incident from a race last season ... where she turned right, towards the finish line, one lap too early - and only realized her own mistake when other skiers started overtaking her on her left.

There was some joking on a Norwegian forum that they hoped Stadlober and Weng could actually find the way to finish :D

(message 25,000)

Bjorgen is now the most successful Winter Olympian. :notworthy:

1. Marit Bjorgen,Noo,langlaufen 8 4 3
2. Ole E.Bjorndalen,Noo.biatlon 8 4 1
3. Bjorn Daehlie,Noo,langlaufen 8 4 0
4. Ljoebov Jegorova,Rus,langlauf 6 3 0
5. Viktor An,Rus,shorttrack 6 0 2
6. Lidija Skoblikova,SU,schaats. 6 0 0
7. Ireen Wüst,Ned,schaatsen 5 5 1
8. Claudia Pechstein,Dui,schaats 5 2 2
9. Martin Fourcade,Fra,biatlon 5 2 0
10. Larisa Lasoetina,Rus,langlauf 5 1 1
Clas Thunberg,Fin,schaatsen 5 1 1
12. Thomas Alsgaard,Noo,langlauf. 5 1 0
13. Bonnie Blair,VS,schaatsen 5 0 1
14. Eric Heiden,VS,schaatsen 5 0 0
15. Raisa Smetanina,SU/GOS,langl. 4 5 1
16. Sixten Jernberg,Zwe,langlauf. 4 3 2
17. Ricco Gross,Dui,biatlon 4 3 1
Emil Hegle Svendsen,Noo,biat. 4 3 1

Last edited:
I notice that there are no alpine skiers in the list you posted - not even all-time greats like Stenmark, Maier and Aamodt. Probably because they are more specialized than speed skaters and cross-country skiers? The winner of the downhill is usually not doing well in the slalom and vice versa. In biathlon, on the other hand, the top athletes are usually very good in all the different events, and they have four individual events in the Olympics (and there are three team events, men/women/mixed, of which any individual of course can be taking part in two.

It was a bit funny that she found the right track by spotting (and following) Heidi Weng, who herself was involved in an infamous incident from a race last season ... where she turned right, towards the finish line, one lap too early - and only realized her own mistake when other skiers started overtaking her on her left.

There was some joking on a Norwegian forum that they hoped Stadlober and Weng could actually find the way to finish :D
The best part is that Heidi Weng at one point in todays race had no idea where to go and had to wait for someone to go past her so she could find the way.

ax1V4QM_460s.jpg

The German Embassy gave out a bunch of free coffee downtown actually after the win, as a conciliatory gesture.

Back